Author Topic: Updating the UI: Main Screen Edition  (Read 28988 times)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
Re: Updating the UI: Main Screen Edition
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
Well, I can't leave anything alone, so I've whipped up a ~modern touch display~ version. (It's based loosely on Krita's radial menu style.) I think it looks pretty, but it's also kind of mysterious what things do.

Tap anywhere on screen to bring up the radial menu. Buttons are the same as mockup 8, and do the same thing. Tapping the resolution in the corner brings up the list of presets, because it might as well.

I personally think it looks good, and it makes much better use of the screen space for image preview, but I don't like icon-only navigation which I think is confusing. I think zooming in on the video will help fix the focus issue we've got now, which is the main reason we wanted to make better use of the screen space in the first place.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
I'm not a big fan of these modern menus Sure they look nice, but are they easy to use? When you have more than two layers, they become very confusing. It would make the viewing area larger, though, wich I would prefer... hard to decide.

I guess, an overlay menu that only appears when needed would be a good idea. Also some options like shutter angle, resolution, etc. can be overlayed as in your example.

Just make sure that the menu looks the same all the time, no matter when and where I click on the screen. What constantly annoys me with the ribbon menus in modern software is the "context sensitivity". An item needs to be in the same place each and every time I want to access it. It mustn't jump around erratically. If this can be achieved, I'm happy. Settings screens etc. should then still be opened full screen and can block the video completely. Just a few important quick settings should be overlayed. In that case it isn't too important to have text labels, because you learn quickly the meanings of the icons.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
having the option to hide menus and settings and get full screen preview will be nice,
main problem when using chronos is the dim screen
i cant wait to use external monitor