Author Topic: IR light Source  (Read 9994 times)

Ormia

• View Profile
IR light Source
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I will be using the highspeed camera to film insect behavior under IR illumination.
Any suggestions on IR light sources that will not flicker (if it exists) when filming at about 3000 fps?

Thanks.

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: IR light Source
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 04:02:06 AM »
You can Try those powerfull LED-Chips, which you can get on Ebay and from some other Sellers on the internet.
You can get those as 5W, 10W, 20W, 50W, 100W.
There are also 200W & 500W LED-Chips for visible Light, but i am not sure, if you can get them for IR.
If you feed those LED-Chips with realy Clean DC-Voltage, there should not be any Flicker at all.
I use such 100W-LED-Chips for Visible Light and get no flicker at up to 1200fps (most my Camera can do, i dont have a Chronos yet).
Should work also for IR-Light, just keep your LED cool with proper Cooling and Limit your Current, because driving these Chips with too high current can seriously Damage them.
The only drawback with such a Light-Setup is, that powerfull IR-LEDīs tend to be pretty pricy.
Also consider building a IR-LED-Panel or Ringlight with smaller LEDīs (Like 5mm LEDs) because you need no Heatsink for most of those and it could maybe also end up being cheaper.
But i dont know, how much Light you want /need and if a reasonable sized LED-Panel or Ringlight would provide enough Light for you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:03:51 AM by Nikon1 »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »
Search for IR Illuminator, there are many options, unfortunately it's very hard to tell if they flicker or not before ordering and testing one, unless you can confirm what LED driver they're using. One option is to get one, and if it does flicker, replace the LED driver with a good one.

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »
I have some VERY minor "flicker" with my 100W LED modules. Not enough to be unusable, but still there. I would advise buying one module and testing before buying a bunch.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
I have some VERY minor "flicker" with my 100W LED modules. Not enough to be unusable, but still there. I would advise buying one module and testing before buying a bunch.
Yes, i could also just reccomend that.
(If you are patient enough to wait two times for the Delivery from China and also if you care about your money)

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »
Yes, i could also just reccomend that.
(If you are patient enough to wait two times for the Delivery from China and also if you care about your money)
I paid a bit extra and ordered from a US seller. There usually is a couple who ship from the US.

Ormia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!
NoDak - can you provide me with a link to the module that you're using?