Author Topic: HDMI port - has anyone hooked up an external monitor?  (Read 13110 times)

Taofledermaus

• View Profile
HDMI port - has anyone hooked up an external monitor?
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:50:06 PM »
My eyesight sucks and I am wondering if anyone has tried to hook up an external monitor to their camera?   I film everything in bright sunlight and
it can be difficult for me to just verify if I have focus, etc.  ideal for each shot.   

gyppor

• View Profile
Re: HDMI port - has anyone hooked up an external monitor?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
Jeff,

I believe the HDMI port isn't activated yet. I've tried connecting my desktop monitor but to no avail.
I've been looking at cheap ebay HDMI viewfinders to solve the brightness probem. So far I've been using a jacket draped over my head and the camera to do adjustments. I suspect a proper shade will help but a viewfinder would be ideal.

Love your Youtube channel, by the way :-)

G

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:25:25 AM »
My eyesight sucks and I am wondering if anyone has tried to hook up an external monitor to their camera?   I film everything in bright sunlight and
it can be difficult for me to just verify if I have focus, etc.  ideal for each shot.

HSC seems to be quite pleased with the sunshade: http://www.hispeedcams.com/chronos-1-4-mods-make-improvements/

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
Matthew is making some decent progress on the software side towards getting HDMI working, so that update shouldn't be all that far off.

Taofledermaus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

HSC seems to be quite pleased with the sunshade: http://www.hispeedcams.com/chronos-1-4-mods-make-improvements/

I made something similar with a piece of black cardboard.  It does help.  Draping some dark cloth over the camera like an old timey photographer helps too. 

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
The stretch goals Wifi dongle & Android live viewing will help a lot here too, as the more expensive smartphones have screens that are visible in strong sunlight. That's the problem with things like the sunshield - they only rid the brighter objects being reflected on the screen. Our pupils are still constricted outside unless we go the full drape over the head.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:54:28 AM »
Any progress here? Especially in low light with wide open aperture focusing is troublesome. A larger high-res screen would help a lot.

North Idaho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »
Yes has this feature been added yet. I am trying to use it to test a micro jet dispenser and its really hard to see on the screen with where the camera needs to be located.

BlackthorneMedia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24:14 AM »
Yes. Very interested in this as well. Would make focus ALOT easier...

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »
We're focusing on remote Etherent control right now, HDMI will be priority after that is done. Hoping to have the remote API done around the end of this month or so.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
Im a plus one on wanting HDMI, i really can't see what im shooting which is a problem in all light thats bright enough to shoot slowmo

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
The HDMI port will be enabled in the 0.4 release when the networking control support is added.

Part of the work to get the networking control working has involved a rewrite of the OMX and gstreamer video pipelines. During that rewrite we have added HDMI support and it works reasonably well - with some caveats. Due to internal limitations on the OMX components from TI, the HDMI port will only work in 720p and 1080p modes. Fortunately this covers most displays on the market, but some oddball displays may not work.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »
good to hear