Author Topic: SSD Saving Speeds  (Read 8819 times)

jasoncarter

• View Profile
SSD Saving Speeds
« on: October 19, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »
Has anyone tried an eSATA to USB C cable for using Samsung T5 or T7 SSDs for saving from the camera? If so how are the speeds?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:30:34 AM by jasoncarter »

Visualtec

• View Profile
Re: SSD Saving Speeds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 01:47:25 PM »
Unfortunately it is not possible to connect your USB-C drive to the Chronos camera.  The Samsung T5 drives are not compatible with the Chronos camera.

I got this back from Chronus support when I was trying to connect a T5

brigitte79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 06:22:06 PM »
Has anyone tried an eSATA to USB C cable for using Samsung T5 or T7 SSDs ( or unblocked games 76) for saving from the camera? If so how are the speeds?

I think while eSATA offered faster speeds than USB in its earlier versions, it has largely been surpassed by USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) and the latest Thunderbolt 4 standards. Connecting an eSATA drive to USB-C requires an adapter which adds complexity and can bottleneck performance.

Rob_G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 02:10:29 PM »
There is not a connecting cable for the Samsung T5 SSD and the 1.4 and 2.1 Chronos cameras. Also, the firmware for the 1.4 and 2.1 Chronos cameras is not designed to operate with the Samsung T5 SSD. The camera itself cannot power the drive.

However, the Chronos cameras 1.4 and 2.1 can connect to a SanDisk 250GB SSD through an eSATA to SATA cable. The cable provides both data transfer as well as power through eSATA. If you are capturing video and recording it in an uncompressed video format, i.e. RAW, TIFF or Cinema DNG, it is the quickest saving option.

penlover

• View Profile
    • doodle jump
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 01:43:36 AM »
I believe that although older versions of USB provided greater rates than eSATA, the most recent standards, such as Thunderbolt 4, and USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps), have generally overtaken it.

fethiye

• View Profile
    • fethiye tours
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 10:51:06 AM »
I will give it a try, thanks.