Author Topic: Chronos 1.4 Footage Thread  (Read 248028 times)

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
Re: Chronos 1.4 Footage Thread
« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2020, 09:00:19 AM »
Nice. It would be interesting to see the higher speed 40kfps upscaled. Curious what effect it would have on resolution.

Fendanadil

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 06, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »
A compilation of our best archery shots.

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi24pH3yv1g

The slow motion was recorded on the Chronos 1.4 (obviously), the intermediat shots were taken on a Nikon Z6.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:11:28 PM by Fendanadil »

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 07, 2020, 07:21:40 PM »
It certainly shows that there is no such thing as a bad shot when shooting with a high speed camera.
What video editing software was used?

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2020, 08:01:10 PM »
1280 X 1024 to 4K test. This test also shows the difference between shooting 8 BIT MP4 and 12 BIT Cinema DNG on the Chronos 1.4. As you can see, you get way less banding and artifacts compared to shooting on MP4. I might start uploading to Vimeo since Youtube still introduces artifacts and banding that I'm not seeing in the original video. Still you can see the difference between the two formats.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:03:33 PM by B.H.V »

Fendanadil

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »
What video editing software was used?

If that was directed at me, the software used was Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere.

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 15, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »
Hello everbody,

i tried my look with some sparklers. Tested from 1,500 fps up to 25,00 fps.
I get the feeling, that I can't focus it any better but it still looks out of focus some times :(

video available in around 2 hours... i have to go to sleep now an let youtube do it's thing :D

https://youtu.be/E4sjlqmX4F8

PS: I finally get to test the DAIN program at one of my popcorn clips from my last video.

For only one clip that lastet about 20 seconds my computer took around 3 hours to create a 4 times slower video. ... But the result was stunningly good!!!
But for my kind of video hobby youtube thing, this tooks way too long. But maybe for single clips I can use it. But not for the whole video.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:16:24 PM by Buddlich »

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 15, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »
Luke, I tried both from your tweet and directly from your youtube channel and no luck on the sparkler video.

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 15, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
Hello everbody,

I get the feeling, that I can't focus it any better but it still looks out of focus some times :(

video available in around 2 hours... i have to go to sleep now an let youtube do it's thing :D

PS: I finally get to test the DAIN program at one of my popcorn clips from my last video.

For only one clip that lastet about 20 seconds my computer took around 3 hours to create a 4 times slower video. ... But the result was stunningly good!!!
But for my kind of video hobby youtube thing, this tooks way too long. But maybe for single clips I can use it. But not for the whole video.

Yeah, DAIN is awesome! The only thing are the render times can be long. But it does get you some pretty nice results on certain footage.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 16, 2020, 06:26:52 AM »
Hello everbody,

Well, that lens seems to not be the sharpest thing ever (just judging from all the Purple and Green Fringes there), but i think the biggest problem here is also depth of field, the Plane of focus, which is actually REALLY sharp is very shallow for Closeups like this. Filming Highspeed video in combination with the Closeup then also means, you propably cant just close the Lens down as much as you might want, to get an bright enough image. Since the Single Sparks fly all over the place, they are rarely actually in focus even if the Sparkler Stick itself is as sharp as you can get it. Also (i attached a croped Part of an image i took a while ago at an wedding), those Sparks never really look that sharp anyways, unless you have pretty high resolution. As you can see in my image, the Lines of the Sparks flying are always pretty wide and will look out of focus most of the time anyways, then the point where it "sparkles" is just a ton of fine lines and sometimes those also again break up into smaller bits. In those locations where they "sparkle" is a lot going on, which is propably too much detail to propperly capture on 720p resolution, unless you manage to get an even Closer Closeup of just one of the Sparks itself in focus. To sum up what i am trying to say, while it looks unsharp, if you look at single frames of the Video, it is propably as sharp as it will get with that lens at that resolution, you can sometimes see some 1px Wide lines, which are just as much in focus as they could.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:15:40 AM by Nikon1 »

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 16, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
Luke, I tried both from your tweet and directly from your youtube channel and no luck on the sparkler video.

Mhhh,, don't know. The link is working fine now. Maybe Youtube was just not ready yet :D

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 16, 2020, 08:31:18 AM »
Hello everbody,

Well, that lens seems to not be the sharpest thing ever (just judging from all the Purple and Green Fringes there), but i think the biggest problem here is also depth of field, the Plane of focus, which is actually REALLY sharp is very shallow for Closeups like this. Filming Highspeed video in combination with the Closeup then also means, you propably cant just close the Lens down as much as you might want, to get an bright enough image. Since the Single Sparks fly all over the place, they are rarely actually in focus even if the Sparkler Stick itself is as sharp as you can get it. Also (i attached a croped Part of an image i took a while ago at an wedding), those Sparks never really look that sharp anyways, unless you have pretty high resolution. As you can see in my image, the Lines of the Sparks flying are always pretty wide and will look out of focus most of the time anyways, then the point where it "sparkles" is just a ton of fine lines and sometimes those also again break up into smaller bits. In those locations where they "sparkle" is a lot going on, which is propably too much detail to propperly capture on 720p resolution, unless you manage to get an even Closer Closeup of just one of the Sparks itself in focus. To sum up what i am trying to say, while it looks unsharp, if you look at single frames of the Video, it is propably as sharp as it will get with that lens at that resolution, you can sometimes see some 1px Wide lines, which are just as much in focus as they could.

That's strange, the focus plane should be deep enough. Because most of the time I filmed with f/10 or even higher ... even up to around f/20ish . The focus plane should be okay. At the time I was focusing, it looked sharp to me, but the end result was not that sharp at all. Maybe the upscaling did break it.

Maybe, even at a higher f-stop the focus plane of my lens is too shallow... for the next video I'll try my other lenses. :)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 16, 2020, 09:45:05 AM »
Hello everbody,

That's strange, the focus plane should be deep enough. Because most of the time I filmed with f/10 or even higher ... even up to around f/20ish . The focus plane should be okay. At the time I was focusing, it looked sharp to me, but the end result was not that sharp at all. Maybe the upscaling did break it.

Maybe, even at a higher f-stop the focus plane of my lens is too shallow... for the next video I'll try my other lenses. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction-limited_system
 Well, if you stop down too far, you sure gain depth of field, but there Still might be diffraction which will make the Sharpness decrease again after a certain point. Depends heavily on the lens, but usually for smaller sensors like in the 1.4; f/11 and smaller can allready start to show sharpness limitations from Diffraction. If its a lens which is not specially designed for Closeups and /or Small apertures, it might show sooner on other lenses later, but just stopping a lens down all the Way doesnt mean its on its "sharpest" setting. Did this test with many of my lenses, shot an image at every apperture setting i could, and compared Sharpness between them, (its been a while since i did that), but most where sharpest at somewhere between f/2.8 to f/8. If you want to know for sure, might do a test on the lens you are using, to find out the "sharpest" setting of the apperture (in german its called "Förderliche Blende", couldnt find anything about it on Wiki or a propper translation, but i would go with "ideal Apperture"), found an Article about that in german, with some images kinda showing whats going on (had way more sharpness loss on very small Apperture settings in some of my own tests on my lenses, but i guess that is, because i tested mine on an really small sensor and those tests are propably FullFrame Or APS-C Sensor size, where the Effect isnt that extremely visible, unless you stop down really far, like f/64 or more, but it also depens a lot on the lenses itself, as i said.).

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 06, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
This is the spray from an aerosol can of cooking oil. The nozzle forms 2 streams that re bridged by a thin film. When the film gets too thin it becomes unstable and begins to whip back and forth before breaking up into droplets. When releasing the nozzle the oil speed drops below some threshold and surface tension draws the two streams together.

~8800fps
https://i.imgur.com/KMwjJqD.mp4

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 17, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 17, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
Nice footage, and congrats on the subs.