Author Topic: Chronos 1.4 Footage Thread  (Read 248287 times)

Buddlich

• View Profile
Re: Chronos 1.4 Footage Thread
« Reply #495 on: April 19, 2022, 11:46:49 AM »
More 3D printet Slugs and stuff for CO2-Shotguns :)
https://youtu.be/b5RzCmeBjEA

Solscud007

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 03, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
A simple color correction test thanks to mklinger’s custom LUT.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdGxG4sjFM6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 03, 2022, 03:41:51 PM »
Nice job! What software are you using to import the LUT?

Solscud007

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 03, 2022, 09:10:46 PM »
@bhv I’m using Davinci Resolve. Had to watch a couple videos on how to use Davinci. Simply importing the LUT and applying it to a video clip. Then I export and use that new video file in iMovie.

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 04, 2022, 05:10:04 AM »
A simple color correction test thanks to mklinger’s custom LUT.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdGxG4sjFM6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Your footage looks good!  I'm glad you were able to use the LUT I created.  The 1.4 LUT was created from another user's data as I only own a Chronos 2.1.  That one is certainly not as refined as the one I created for the 2.1, but it looks like it's working great for you.  Thanks for sharing!

Solscud007

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 04, 2022, 07:11:43 AM »
Your footage looks good!  I'm glad you were able to use the LUT I created.  The 1.4 LUT was created from another user's data as I only own a Chronos 2.1.  That one is certainly not as refined as the one I created for the 2.1, but it looks like it's working great for you.  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for creating this LUT.

Henrique said it does not work that well in cloudy skies. I’m not sure how to tweak a LUT. Also is it possible to create a LUT for the compressed MP4 videos? I only started filming in RAW to try your LUT. I first tried it on some footage I previously recorded but they were not in Raw and the colors were all messed up. LOL

muringuets

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 04, 2022, 07:25:45 AM »
Hello everyone.

The LUT mklinger provided for the Chronos 1.4 was made for clear sky light conditions, so it's normal that it doesnt work ok on different situations.

I found that using the LUT in theses situations got me some bloated colors (specially red/magenta) and really heavy noise on those areas. Noise I could not get rid off. (I'll try to find footage to show this problem).

So I had to tweak colors myself, after a while I got a pretty decent balance between colors and noise, but I figured a custom LUT for cloud skies would be a better fit.

Anyway, right now is not the best time to make another calibration start point, since ain't cloudy around here, but If conditions allow, I'll try for a cloud sky calibration data, if @mklinger could work on it it would be nice...

Nick, your footage looks amazing, vivid colors!!!

Regards

Henrique

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:32:28 AM by muringuets »

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 04, 2022, 07:57:56 AM »
Hello everyone.

The LUT mklinger provided for the Chronos 1.4 was made for clear sky light conditions, so it's normal that it doesnt work ok on different situations.

I found that using the LUT in theses situations got me some bloated colors (specially red/magenta) and really heavy noise on those areas. Noise I could not get rid off. (I'll try to find footage to show this problem).

So I had to tweak colors myself, after a while I got a pretty decent balance between colors and noise, but I figured a custom LUT for cloud skies would be a better fit.

Anyway, right now is not the best time to make another calibration start point, since ain't cloudy around here, but If conditions allow, I'll try for a cloud sky calibration data, if @mklinger could work on it it would be nice...

Nick, your footage looks amazing, vivid colors!!!

Regards

Henrique

As Henrique mentioned, a single LUT is only good for the lighting conditions it was made with.  Same for mp4 vs Cinema DNG.  Because I don't own a Chronos 1.4, I can't easily make new LUTs for that system.  The one I made for the 2.1 was made using very controlled LED lighting simulating what I normally shoot with.  It should also work well with daylight conditions.  I believe the images the 1.4 was taken with was under daylight conditions, but it might not have been ideally controlled.

If you have a good color chart, it's not that difficult to make your own with DaVinci Resolve with a little research.  Resolve makes the process very easy to create them once you have things dialed in.

I've been hoping that the Kron folks would publish and include official starter LUTs for these cameras and it's certainly required for shooting in RAW in my opinion.  It can also help a lot with mp4, but I typically only shoot RAW so I haven't worried about that too much.

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »
Here is a very short Chronos 1.4 RAW DNG Test I did under cloudy conditions graded in Davinci. It was then upscaled to 1440P through Topaz VEAI. I hope Krontech can work with a color scientist and get some LUTS for the 1.4 and 2.1. Also, I was hoping they can add a way for us to fine-tune the white balance manually by having a Kelvin option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aq-S_RvBTE

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2022, 09:34:23 AM »
Here is a very short Chronos 1.4 RAW DNG Test I did under cloudy conditions graded in Davinci. It was then upscaled to 1440P through Topaz VEAI. I hope Krontech can work with a color scientist and get some LUTS for the 1.4 and 2.1. Also, I was hoping they can add a way for us to fine-tune the white balance manually by having a Kelvin option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aq-S_RvBTE

That looks pretty good.  I agree, although, FWIW, the concept of in-camera while balance doesn't really mean anything when shooting RAW, only the mp4 record options.  The colors from that sensor need much, much more than a white balance adjustment to get them looking good.

You should have decent luck using a daylight LUT and then adjusting the color temperature in Davinci to account for cloudy conditions, but it might need some other tweaks  as well. 

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2022, 10:23:20 AM »
Thanks mklinger! Yeah, I don’t know if this is an issue with the 1.4, but I believe if you try to change your white balance in post too far, it can get real strange as if it’s not really a RAW file. You really need to get the 1.4 balance as spot on as you can even when shooting RAW. Is this something the 2.1 exhibits as well when pushing the white balance in post?

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2022, 10:34:59 AM »
Thanks mklinger! Yeah, I don’t know if this is an issue with the 1.4, but I believe if you try to change your white balance in post too far, it can get real strange as if it’s not really a RAW file. You really need to get the 1.4 balance as spot on as you can even when shooting RAW. Is this something the 2.1 exhibits as well when pushing the white balance in post?

Yes, the 2.1 can't be pushed too much in post either.  What I think is happening is that because the dynamic range of the sensor isn't very good (compared to modern DLSRs or standard video cameras), the process of getting the colors correct to begin with using a basic LUT essentially uses up most of that available dynamic range. 

It is extremely important to try and get the exposure as correct as possible when filming and use as low a gain as possible (0dB ideally) to maximum what dynamic range is available so there is some flexibility. 

There is a reason the Phantom cameras cost 6 figures... their sensors are much better.  I'm not complaining though, both Chronos cameras offer extreme value for high speed shooting that isn't possible with any other camera, but you really need to shoot in ideal conditions to maximize quality.

Solscud007

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 06, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
Captured a malfunction. Hammer releases early and bolt closes on the hammer. Due to the direction of the back stop, the sun is behind the gun. So I used my Imalent DX80 32,000 lumen light to light up the side of the gun. Used the 1.4LUT by Mklinger. Tweaked the curves a bit since this is in shade with artificial lighting.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdMEAGkBQ-v/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 08, 2022, 07:28:14 AM »
Squirrel shaking his head while feeding on seed at 700 FPS shot through a window. I used 700 fps as it was quite dark and cloudy as going to 1500 FPS would've had a lot more noise. Recorded with a Navitar 75mm 1.3 lens in Cinema DNG, upscaled via Topaz VEAI to 1440P and converted to HDR for Youtube. If you can, play back in HDR as it playa back at a higher bitrate with less banding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chLuB3_GuEY
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:07:08 AM by B.H.V »

Solscud007

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 10, 2022, 02:47:20 AM »
@BHV how are you filming at 700fps? I thought the 1.4 can only film as low as 1057 FPS?