Author Topic: Remote power on  (Read 8749 times)

ThomasYiPP

• Digital experiences for screens & spaces
    • View Profile
    • yipp.nl
Remote power on
« on: July 09, 2018, 04:24:08 AM »
Hey Chrontech,

For one of our applications we would like to be able to turn the chronos on/off remotely.
We could take out the battery and cut the power, which isn't the nicest solution or maybe send a signal via SSH but still you need to turn it back on again somehow.
Would it be possible to accept a Wake-On-LAN signal? Or a boot after power loss?

I'm not sure If I'm the only person but I expect that the camera might be used by more people where it can't be accessed easily and leaving it on 24/7 isn't an option.

dgerrard

• View Profile
Re: Remote power on
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
I'm not sure If I'm the only person but I expect that the camera might be used by more people where it can't be accessed easily and leaving it on 24/7 isn't an option.

Although I am not running the camera 24/7 I have used it running for >10 hours recording using an external power supply and just starting and stopping the recording via the trigger.  There were no issues using the camera this way and the environmental temperatures it was operating at exceeded 107F and the camera was enclosed in a box.  I did provide a opening that I could push the on/off button so I could turn it on in the morning and off in the evening.  Maybe this would work for you.

Doug

ThomasYiPP

• Digital experiences for screens & spaces
    • View Profile
    • yipp.nl
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:35:45 AM »
Well, we're putting our camera up at a 4 meter high ceiling aimed at a water basin so you can't just put up a ladder and it has to be turned on/off daily. (And with the Chronos firmware not being 100% stable right now....)
Now we could open the camera and solder a wire to the button but that's not really an option if you want to keep the warranty of course.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:14:12 PM »
Use a model airplane servo motor instead...

Not a nice workaround, but will keep the camera intact.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
We're aiming to have "wake on power" available through the planned battery/power screen. It'll start the camera when power is supplied. When we release the planned HTTP API, you'll be able to use that to turn off the camera remotely, as well as just unplugging it. Unfortunately, there will never be a 'turn camera on' api call, due to the logistics of the situation.

Hope that helps!