Author Topic: I am a professional colorist & would like to try improving your raw footage  (Read 32186 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
So, what happened to Pritchboxer?
Are you still here?
Would still love to see what you can do to those DNG´s :)

aaronkondziela

• View Profile
Likewise!

Pritchboxer

• View Profile
Sorry guys, been super busy and forgot about this...

So Aaron well done on the footage, exactly what I wanted :)

So in conclusion, the resolution is a bit poor BUT, when shot properly I dare say it's usable in a professional setting when watched online at least. Here's a grade of Aaron's footage:

https://vimeo.com/296841634/895e927c7a

aaronkondziela

• View Profile
Hey, that turned out to be quite nice! Even the noise characteristic is decent, closer to a film grain feel than digital noise, and probably easily tamed if needed. Thanks for grading it, I now have more confidence this cam could be used in a video production, and not just an engineering context! It's juuust good enough if everything is well-planned and executed.  :D :D :D

Pritchboxer

• View Profile
Yes I graded it to look sorta like my Ursa Mini Pro footage :) No noise removal although I could have... also sharpened quite a lot more than I normally would! It honestly looks very nice, its just a bit dull on detail!

I know for a fact the sensor manufacturer makes higher resolution sensors as ive been messaging them for info! I hope Chronos team has something up their sleeve cause this could be a real winner if it was higher resolution also.

aaronkondziela

• View Profile
I see like zero evidence of over-sharpening, so whatever you set it at certainly did the trick. Higher res sensor would rock for a next gen camera! This is juuuust good enough to slap into an HD production if everything was set up right.

Nikon1

• View Profile
I know for a fact the sensor manufacturer makes higher resolution sensors as ive been messaging them for info! I hope Chronos team has something up their sleeve cause this could be a real winner if it was higher resolution also.
I think David Kronstein and the guys working there are Well aware of the Fact, that there are way better sensors and other components.
But i dont think they went for maximum Performance technicaly possible here. More Like Most Performance for a reasonable amount of money and most Bang for Buck.
If you actually NEED Higher Quality or higher Framerate, you are propably in a position, where you would be able to afford to rent or Buy an Way more expensive camera anyways.
I think if they tried to compete with companys like Vision Research, RED, ARRI, Panasonic and the Like in terms of Bare Framerate-Perfomance, Resolution or Image-Quality, they would have quite a hard time because all of those Companys do their thing very well.
I really hope and would love, if they make an Higher Res. Model at some Point, but for the Start of it, this sensor is good as is and a good choice and kind of a Sweetspot between Price and Performance. I allready asked, if they plan on producing a Follow-Up model but got no answer for that yet.
Keep in mind, if you put Higher Resolution sensor or Faster sensors in a Camera, you will also need way more Powerfull processors to get all that Data away from your Sensor and somehow into your Memory, which also need to be Faster then. So, Price can go up pretty fast if you go with an "better" sensor. So it kind of depends, if they could make "affordeable" 1080p Highspeed a thing, if its crazy expensive, like all the allready existing cameras, then why would anyone buy it over the other cameras?

Nikon1

• View Profile
Thanks for grading that, turned out to be really impressive looking, for just beeing shot in 1280x720 on an 1:1 Pixel sensor Readout.
You can kind of tell a bit, that there is sharpening going on in the image, but nothing distracting, or what an average person would see.
I also think, this would be indeed useable for 1080p Productions.
Especialy once you have Camera-Movement, since you wont see that much detail anyways when everything in Frame Moves fast enough.

Photopage

• View Profile
Thanks for all the discussions on this topic.  I'm looking forward to receiving a Chronos 2.1 some time soon and I'm doing all the normal preparations, thinking about lenses, lighting and RAW processing workflow.  This thread has helped confirm my hopes that image quality is very good.
I've had a quick play with Aaron's dng files from his Pentax lens and uploaded the results here      https://vimeo.com/332620537

These images had lots of room to play, perfectly exposed and easy to fix the colour.  The colour chart was helpful too.

I'm a photographer and I used my normal tools, a calibrated Eizo screen, Capture One Pro to grade the files and Photoshop to output a video format.  I cropped to 720p for speed of upload.
There may be a better and easier way, but it's good to use the tools you are familiar with.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:52:37 AM by Photopage »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Thanks for the video.
Yes, i also played around with those RAW Files, and if Shot Properly, this camera can yield some great Results.
Looking Forward to all the Stuff filmed by the 2.1. if it is that much better, as i think it is, you will have a very great time With it.

Nikon1

• View Profile
@Pritchboxer:
 If you are still around, would be nice if you could have a look at this:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=521.msg4609#msg4609
 Cant figure out why the Reds Look THAT strange on the Chronos Shot, maybe you can give a Statement on whats wrong with them.
 For the Yellows i have a bit of a guess myself, but would still be happy to hear what you have to say about them.