Author Topic: Recommended software for postprocessing  (Read 22986 times)

dbooksta

• View Profile
Recommended software for postprocessing
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
I primarily want to splice and alter playback speed (i.e., slow down around key points, speed up elsewhere) of the MP4s coming off this camera.  So something like Adobe Premier seems like complex overkill.

What Windows software would you recommend for this sort of post-processing?

nik282000

• View Profile
Re: Recommended software for postprocessing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
I use Vegas Movie Studio (formerly Sony, now Magix) and it works well enough for me. If you don't want to go all out with a commercial editor I would suggest looking at the Free and Open Source section of this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software. There are a couple there which are developed for windows and they should offer the ability to change clip speed (Shortcut mentions it specifically on their features page). Try a bunch of them and see what works best for you, video software choice can be as much preference based as feature based.

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
I use Adobe Premiere CC and Adobe After Effects for editing. IDK how it will work with the files from the camera as my camera is just now getting ready to ship. But others have said it works fine with it.   

dgerrard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
I use Corel Videostudio Ultimate X9 but there is a newer version X10 http://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/ultimate/?sourceid=vspx10-xx-ppc_brkws&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OXwqfCa1QIVmbrACh3RbgPzEAAYASAAEgLKTPD_BwE  It costs under $100 and does a lot for what I need.  You might be able to get previous version at a discounted price.  There are tutorials online if needed.  For the Chronos 1.4 specifically I plan on shooting my videos rotated and this software allows me to rotate them and make videos with the regular 1920x1280 format.  Of course the sides will be blackened or filled in with some other background but I've confirmed that Corel Videostudio will do this.

You can also adjust the speed of the video with VideoStudio, speed up or slow down the playback speed.

Doug

ExaltedDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
I've used OpenShot a bit.  I found it in my distro's repository and the price was right. It also has a windows port.  It will do those things you've listed, although I've found it to be a bit confusing and unstable.  The windows version is more up to date and less buggy.  Truth be told, I've been meaning to find a replacement but just haven't had much need to yet.  It has worked well enough despite its occasional frustrations.

dbooksta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
For anyone looking to just do time-warping I found a brilliant open-source project that does only that: slowmoVideo.

The same functionality exists in Adobe After Effects as the "Timewarp" effect.

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:29:25 AM »
Another tool I've found that may be handy.
https://mkvtoolnix.download/
Found while searching for how to change recorded framerate:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/370692/how-to-change-the-framerate-of-a-video-without-reencoding/547991#547991

As the actual frame-rate is just a number, this is one way to change it to whatever your editor/encoder/preferences likes the best.  I keep forgetting to change 60fps back to 30fps in the camera and my editor can be a bit stupid about overriding. This is one way I've found to change it afterwards.

dbooksta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:34:20 AM »
Yeah, the first thing I do with the files is use FFMPEG to slow the play rate from 60fps to 30fps, and also to add a time marker to each frame.  For example, here's the command to do that on a 640x120 clip (17424 being the fps):

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i ChronosFile1.mp4 -r 30
 -vf "setpts=(2/1)*PTS,
 drawtext=fontfile=Arial.ttf: expansion=normal:
   text='%{eif\:n*1000/17424\:d}.%{eif\:mod(n*1000/17424*100,100)\:d\:2}ms':
   x=(w-tw-5): y=5: fontcolor=white: box=1: boxcolor=0x00000099: fontsize=25"
 -an -y ChronosFile1Post.mp4

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
For anyone looking to just do time-warping I found a brilliant open-source project that does only that: slowmoVideo.

The same functionality exists in Adobe After Effects as the "Timewarp" effect.
for Time-Warping i could also Recommend "Twixtor", a Plugin for After Effects.
That one will cost you money or you get a Watermark on your Videos (there is also a workaround for avoiding the Watermark with the Free Version).
But it is the best Plugin/ Effect for Time-Warp i know of in terms of results.
That Plugin will work for AfterEffects down to Version CS2 / 7.0

ThomasYiPP

• Digital experiences for screens & spaces
    • View Profile
    • yipp.nl
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 04:59:12 AM »
I've been using Davinci Resolve free edition and that does basically all you need and more.
It has time warping with a nice curve editor and studio grade color correction which helped me a lot to polish the raw looking feel of the Chronos.
But as with any big software you got to dive in a little before you get the hang of it but at least it's free :)