Author Topic: Effective focal lengths/f-stops for lenses with various Chronos mounts  (Read 8401 times)

1022mm

• View Profile
Is there a nice shorthand way to calculate effective focal length and f-stop for lenses mounted on the Chronos using adapters?

For instance, I know that using the EF-to-C mount adapter increases the lenses' effective focal length (making it less wide) and raises the effective f-stop (making it slower).  Presumably, so does the new MFT mount due to increasing the distance from the sensor to the lens.  Even more so if using an EF-to-MFT adapter stacked onto the MFT mount.

I was hoping there would be simple conversion factors/ formulas you could use to predict how any given lens will end up when using various adapters on the Chronos.

For example using a 9mm F2.8 EF-mount fisheye with an EF-to-MFT adapter on the MFT mount might end up as a factor of 2, resulting in an effective 18mm F5.6 lens.  I was hoping there would be a nice easy multiplier you could use like that.

Nikon1

• View Profile
Different Adapters like The Krontech MFT Mount or MFT to EF Adapters will not change Anything about your Focal Length. only thing that will do that, are Speedboosters or Teleconverters, but any other Adapter will not do anything.
 As for Calculating, do you use a Chronos 2.1 or 1.4 ? And what would be the Resolutions you use it at (cause change in Resolution actually DOES Change the Effective Focal Length on those Cameras).
 I could Try to generalize my explaination, and probably will anyways, but its likely easier for you to understand, if i can refer to the actual Camera and Resolution (-s) you are usually using.

1022mm

• View Profile
I'm currently using a Tokina 11-16mm on the Chronos 1.4 using an EF to C mount adapter.  The field of view on the Chronos at 11mm and the full 1280 width setting (IE at 1280x720 at 1,502fps) is considerably more narrow - possibly two to three times more so -  than the equivalent field of view on my Canon EF DSLR.  I suppose then the question would be what would the EF crop sensor conversion factor to the Chronos be?

I'm familiar that the field of view narrows as you reduce the frame size to increase the FPS. The baseline I'd be looking at for a conversion factor would be at the full 1280 width on the Chronos 1.4 as it compares to the frame on a full-frame or crop-sensor DSLR.

I decided to get the MFT mount due to my ongoing problems with the physical stability of the c-mount adapter.

I suppose the bulk of my confusion comes from never using an MFT camera or lens before.   I know about the crop factor as it pertains to using a full-frame lens on a crop sensor camera, but many sources say that MFT lenses on a MFT mount all have crop factors of 2X.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:24:48 PM by 1022mm »

Nikon1

• View Profile
While assuming Full Frame Format to be 36mm Wide and 24mm High of a Sensor Area ( which is not 100% accurate, cause different Camera brands use slightly smaller or Larger Sensors, but its usually close enough) and the Chronos 1.4 having a Sensor size of 8,45mm Wide by 6,76mm High at full Resolution; the Horizontal Crop factor compared to FullFrame would as a Result be 4,26x.
 In the 1.4 Manual the Crop Factor is Quoted as 3,9x, but this isnt really accurate if the 1.4 is used to shoot 16:9 Format Footage (the Quoted Crop factor is refering to Diagonal Field of View, which of course is technically correct, but wont apply unless you use the Full Width as well as Height of the Sensor, therefore Horizontal Crop Factor is more accurate in this Case)
 Meaning your Tokina Lens zoomed out would end up being a Equivalent Focal Length of 46,86mm when Converted to FullFrame Equivalent.
 For anything really worth calling a Wide Angle Lens on the Chronos 1.4; you would want to have a Lens with 8 to 6mm Focal Length or even wider, especially if you use smaller Resolutions (which will Crop the Sensor even further....).
 For Focal Length that short, you will usually have a Hard Time finding appropriate Lenses For EF-Mount, using C-Mount or MFT-Mount Lenses is likely the only thing that makes sense.
 If you got some Special Focal length in mind you are Looking for, i can try to see if i can find any good ones.

Nikon1

• View Profile
[...]
I suppose the bulk of my confusion comes from never using an MFT camera or lens before.   I know about the crop factor as it pertains to using a full-frame lens on a crop sensor camera, but many sources say that MFT lenses on a MFT mount all have crop factors of 2X.

The General Rule of 2x Crop for MFT = Micro FOUR THIRDS = Micro 4/3 = 4/3" Sensor Size is true; but the 1.4 has an even smaller Sensor at 2/3" Size, meaning basically another 2x Crop on top of that / Half the Diagonal Size of MFT YET AGAIN. its a really Tiny Sensor.

1022mm

• View Profile
Thank you, that makes perfect sense!  I'm likely going to go with some sort of a fisheye MFT lens, as it simplifies the setup and gives me a little wider frame than what I have with the 11mm lens.

quotasecurity

• View Profile
    • geometry dash lite
If you want to take advantage of the Chronos 1.4's wide-angle capabilities, you'll need a lens with a focal length of 8 to 6 millimetres or wider, particularly if you shoot at lower resolutions (which will crop the sensor even more).

Abite2000

• View Profile
Re: Effective focal lengths/f-stops for lenses with various Chronos mounts
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 07:22:01 PM »

Is there a nice shorthand way to calculate effective focal length and f-stop for lenses mounted on the Chronos using adapters?

For instance, I know that using the EF-to-C mount adapter increases the lenses' effective focal length (making it less wide) and raises the effective f-stop (making it slower).  Presumably, so does the new MFT mount due to increasing the distance from the sensor to the lens.  Even more so if using an EF-to-MFT adapter stacked onto the MFT mount.

I was hoping there would be simple conversion factors/ formulas you could use to predict how any given lens will end up when using various adapters on the Chronos.

For example using a 9mm F2.8 EF-mount fisheye with an EF-to-MFT adapter on the MFT mount might end up as a factor of 2, resulting in an effective 18mm F5.6 lens.  I was hoping there would be a nice easy multiplier you could use like that.
Determine the crop factor between the original lens's intended mount and the Chronos's sensor size. For example, if the Chronos has a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) sensor and you're adapting an EF lens, the crop factor is approximately 2x. This means the effective focal length will be roughly twice the original focal length.