Author Topic: My external monitor for Chronos  (Read 8702 times)

NoDak

• View Profile
My external monitor for Chronos
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
The addition of HDMI output on the Chronos makes shooting video much easier, here is the monitor I picked up for the purpose and my thoughts on it.

A big desire was for a mobile monitor with no internal battery. While many people will want a monitor with a built in power supply, I'm intending to use this monitor for a long time. With hot and cold shooting conditions, the battery will eventually be cooked and become nothing but dead weight.

Here is the monitor I eventually chose, the Kenowa 11.6 Inch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796MKMCY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pro:

Full 1920x1080 resolution
75mmx75mm VESA mount on the back.
Standard female 1/4"-20 tripod mounting point on the bottom. This is not documented on Amazon in the feature or in the pictures. I was thrilled to find it.
Metal case held together with screws. Allows easy disassembly if you want.
Wide viewing angle.
You can see what is on the screen in bright sunlight, but it's not fantastic. Better than some monitors I have seen that are completely washed out. Just make sunshield out of some cardboard to get it in some shade and it works great.
Inputs are on the side and not poking out the back. They feel like they are firmly mounted and won't easily snap off.
Takes standard 5.5mm power plug and 12 volts. Everything from car batteries, to AA, to Lithium-Ion can be rigged up to power this.
Screen view can be rotated via the OSD.

Con:

Buttons and power LED are on the back side of the unit. They are directly mounted to the PCB and simply stick up through holes in the case. You're only really gonna need the power button, but not being able to see the power LED easily will be a problem for some.
Case is made of thick, but soft and easily bent sheet metal. Have a case of some sort for it when transporting.
Stand it comes with will work if you are using the screen as a picture frame, but you'll want something better. Doesn't really matter since it has the VESA and tripod mount.

At first I thought the labels on the buttons was upside down, but once I had it on a tripod, realized that they appear right-side up when looking over the top.

The layout of the plugs are all right next to each other in one spot, but not so close as to be crowded.

Built in speakers are a nice thing to have in case you want to use the monitor to play back video from a camcorder. They aren't fantastic, but they do work.

Overall I am very pleased with this unit. A large, full resolution, portable monitor for under $100.

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: My external monitor for Chronos
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »
This looks quite promising. What is shown on the last pic? I can't figure it out...

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:14:58 AM »
This looks quite promising. What is shown on the last pic? I can't figure it out...
Maybe this last image should just show off production Quality i guess. Details you normaly wont find on an Selling Website. To get an better idea what you get when you buy that exact same monitor.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:04:09 AM »
Maybe this last image should just show off production Quality i guess. Details you normaly wont find on an Selling Website. To get an better idea what you get when you buy that exact same monitor.
Yeah but WHAT is ist? does not look like any part of the monitor to me

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 06:09:54 AM »
Yeah but WHAT is ist? does not look like any part of the monitor to me
There you can see which part of the Monitor it is:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:47:11 AM by Nikon1 »

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »
Ahhhh thank you! ;D

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »

Ah, sorry for causing confusion. That picture was to show the thickness of the case material.

The monitor should hold up to plenty of use. Shouldn't need to baby it, but don't drop-kick it either.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:40:08 AM »
Thanks for this tip, looks promising! And they ship to Germany.

RoboChair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
Hey NoDak, any chance you could open that case up and measure any voids? It looks to me like there should be a lot of dead space inside that thing, possibly enough to fit a flat 12v bank of NiMH batteries so that you could use it without external power for a while. How many watts does it take? It didn't say on the Amazon listing.