Author Topic: Bad Image Quality  (Read 8772 times)

Oli

• View Profile
Bad Image Quality
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:58:41 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the community.

I just got my new Camera, and out of the box the image quality was really bad.
After doing some adjustments with the shutter speed (max)/ resolution (max)/lens/ black calibration, it got better but it's NO where close to what I see posted on YouTube from everyone here.
Also the save footage is always way darker than whats on the display of the camera but that's possibly fine from what I read on the forum posts here.
Lastly the saved footage has somewhat of a black frame flicker effect, not sure what's happening here.

I'm currently of software version 0.3.0

I would seriously appreciate any help/ thank you in advance! :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:01:11 AM by Oli »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Bad Image Quality
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »
Well, i donīt know how much knowledge and experience you have with the manual Exposure in Video and Photographic Cameras, but using a camera like the Chronos requires quite some of that.
This camera has, as far as i am aware, NO Automatic Exposure Mode or any other kind of Automatic Mode.
That means, that you will most likely have to adjust your setting for your Lighting Situation, almost every time you want to capture something with it.
So, it is kind of normal, that the result is bad, if you just unbox your chronos, power it on, and hit the record-trigger....
You will need to adjust your settings everytime or have to have the same Lighting all the time to get reasonable results. Otherwise you will end up with Videos which are to bright or too dark (or out of focus, if you dont focus correctly...btw: Chronos has no Autofocus, if you dont allready know that...).
I would recomend you to look up some tutorials/ videos on How to use Manual Exposure Mode on Photographic/ video-Cameras, that will explain a lot and will help you to find the right settings for this kind of camera.
Not sure what that flickering you get is all about, but a lot of light sources in your everyday life will flicker when filmed in slow motion. Most people cant see that with their bare eyes, but the Chronos can see that very well!
Try filming in bright sunlight, if you get that same kind of flickering, it is most likely caused by the Chronos.
Otherwise, If this flickering is not visible with only the sun as light, it is probably caused by whatever lightsource you are using.
Also, you need tons of light for a highspeed-Camera to get good Image Quality.
Hope that heped a bit with your problem.

Oli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
Thanks for the information @Nikon1, I appreciate it!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:40:33 AM »
Well, i donīt know how much knowledge and experience you have with the manual Exposure in Video and Photographic Cameras....

@Nikon1 . I have zero experience, but I'm watching and reading on it now...However where in Chronos can I adjust Exposure? / Thanks
First off: I dont yet have my own chronos, so i cant tell for sure, look it up for yourself.
You can adjust exposure in the chronos by:
+changing the Shutterspeed/ Framerate/ Shutterangle.
+Changing the gain. This is compareable with the ISO sensitivity setting in most other digital Cameras or the ASA-Number of your film Camera.
+Changing the Iris setting on the Lens.
Every one of those settings will make your image brighter or darker, so, depending on what result you want, you have do adjust more than one of those for the desired result.
Also in general, as i allready said, you want all the light you could get from anywhere most of the time. The more Frames Per Second you capture ("Standard Framerate" (as comes out of the box) should be around 1000 or 1500), the more Light you Will need! if you go for even more Frames Per second (final video will look Slower to the viewers eye) than for Example 1000, you will need MUCH more light, since the camera way has less time to expose per individual image, cause it needs to capture more of them in the same timeframe.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
Could you post a very small sample image or video of what you are experiencing? It might be easier to help you then. Also, try to do as Nikon1 said ;D
Also: heres one of my very first videos: https://youtu.be/fsZ0ofxSuS4
Stock lenss(aperture opened as wide as possible), no settings changed, maybe not even black calibrated and a very cheap LED floodlight (similar to this one) You can see the light "flickering" as it actually changes intensity at about 50/60 or 100/120 Hz depending on design and your mains frequency.

If you can't get the image quality to be at least at that level, then there's most likely something wrong with your camera.

EDIT: here's a hint how much light you should have:
As a rough estimate, for a color camera, you'll need about 7 lux per fps at f/2 and 360 degree shutter.

So at 4000fps, you'd need about 4000fps * 7 = 28,000 lux. If you want to run f/4, you'll need 4x as much light, so 110,000 lux which is about noon day sunlight
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:03:07 AM by NiNeff »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
Yes, this would help everyone a lot, if you could provide some sample footage of yours.
Otherwise its just a big guessing game.
But its never a bad thing to know those basics of manual Exposure Mode, if you want to give the chronos some use and improve your image quality (which i guess you would want both, since you bought one...). Especially since you dont seem to know about the basics of exposure settings.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the community.

I just got my new Camera, and out of the box the image quality was really bad.
After doing some adjustments with the shutter speed (max)/ resolution (max)/lens/ black calibration, it got better but it's NO where close to what I see posted on YouTube from everyone here.
Also the save footage is always way darker than whats on the display of the camera but that's possibly fine from what I read on the forum posts here.
Lastly the saved footage has somewhat of a black frame flicker effect, not sure what's happening here.

I'm currently of software version 0.3.0

I would seriously appreciate any help/ thank you in advance! :)

Hi Oli,

Please post an example image and/or video showing the problem. As others have said, it's very hard to tell what's wrong without seeing an example.

David

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 06:26:29 AM »
@Oli:
So, how are you doing with your image Quality?
Allready managed to find out the reason for the bad Quality?