Author Topic: Time Stamps  (Read 6755 times)

odl

• View Profile
Time Stamps
« on: December 25, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
I am running ver 0.3.1 software and have done initial experimentation up to 38k frame rate.  The time stamps are handy for some tests but on frame rates over 3k, much of the image is obscured and the time stamp falls off leaving only the frame number (which is still very handy as one can still get a time sequence).

Shown below is a bullet leaving a rifle at about 1000 m/s.  A bit grainy but this was my first try.

Buddlich

• View Profile
Re: Time Stamps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Hi there,

didn't even know that those time stamps are in the current version :D I always wanted them

Just tried it out now. As you already sad, with lower resulutions, the stamp covers a lot space of the actual image...
Would it be possible for the camera to make the video resulution in the saved file larger with a black bar at the botton where it shows the time stamp... so you can see the full picture you recorded at prx. 300 x90 but after you recorded it, the camera will postprocess it and saves the file at ... 300x120 (or whatever it needs to show the time stamp without covering the picture)... or is this not possible for the camera itself?

BTW:
It would be nice, if the time stamp would show the time 0.000 (+ whatever exposure time you set) at frame number 1 and for the last frame +4.xxx sec for example. In the moment it shows minus 4.xxx seconds and goes to zero at the last frame. Just my personal opinion but... I would like it the other way.

For example: If I film something fast... like an explosion... And the action starts at second 2.986085 I can see that it would take for example 10 frames and end at second 3.032764 or so... So I can very quickly see that all this happend during roughly 0.05 seconds.

It's just a nicer more normal way (at least for my brain ;) ) to see something start at a positive time (or zero) and ends at a later time / bigger number instead of something starts at second minus 1,013915 and ends at second minus 0,967236.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:47:08 AM by Buddlich »

odl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
Hi Buddlich.  Yes, that is my thinking too.  Count down from first saved frame if possible.  Having the time stamp banner stay at the same relative size as the higher resolution would be nice since the scale in 1500 frames per second is perfect.

Here is my first video in 1500 and 16k:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsVg1lt8Kc

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »

BTW:
It would be nice, if the time stamp would show the time 0.000 (+ whatever exposure time you set) at frame number 1 and for the last frame +4.xxx sec for example. In the moment it shows minus 4.xxx seconds and goes to zero at the last frame. Just my personal opinion but... I would like it the other way.

For example: If I film something fast... like an explosion... And the action starts at second 2.986085 I can see that it would take for example 10 frames and end at second 3.032764 or so... So I can very quickly see that all this happend during roughly 0.05 seconds.

It's just a nicer more normal way (at least for my brain ;) ) to see something start at a positive time (or zero) and ends at a later time / bigger number instead of something starts at second minus 1,013915 and ends at second minus 0,967236.
As far as I recall the timer changes depending on the trigger method which is used for the specific shot. You used the default variant where the trigger marks the end of the sequence and therefore the camera counts down towards the zero point, which was the trigger time. You could switch this around and the counter will count up as you'd expect.
However changing the trigger method just to affect the on-video counter would not be wise.
For now I suggest manual editing of the files if you need a different display (various examples of how to do this were already posted on the forums). In future versions of the camera software we should get more advanced options to specify what gets overlayed, maybe even a counter-direction setting.

I agree on the scale of the overlay. It should be added as extra on the lower resolutions.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to see the overlay is getting some use!

Going forward, the new UI I'm working on will have some minimal overlay configuration settings. It will be a small improvement over what we have now.

After the new UI is released, I'm planning to add fine-grained stamp settings. These will include the ability to choose a font (and thus font-size) and some formatting options for the data. Including what the timestamp and frame numbers are relative to. :)