Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

eSATA using FAT32 and DNG export AND an fps question

<< < (2/2)

skronstein:

--- Quote from: Martin on January 02, 2019, 10:44:42 PM ---Hi,

latest beta, v0.3.1 beta 9.

And I adjusted the cameras clock beforehand, but can't say for sure if only the FAT32 tests were done after (but I think so).

Thanks for your help!!
All the best
Martin

--- End quote ---

The latest software is actually v0.3.1 RC1, available here: http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=434.0
Could you retest on RC1 and see if that can save multiple DNG sequences and with folders correctly named?

Martin:
Hi again,

just finishing another round of writespeed tests with RC1 and I can confirm the autoname folder feature on esata formatted with FAT32 still doesn't work.
I'm using one of these btw: Fantec QB-35US3
http://www.fantec.de/fileadmin/downloads/products/festplattengehaeuse_festplatten/QB-35US3/datasheet/FANTEC_QB-35US3_datasheet_en.pdf
It's a multislot casing, the Raptor is in slot 1 (that slot is always recognised by sata controllers incapable of recognising multiple devices per port, iirc the feature is called port-multiplier)
So, I had to manually name each folder in the save settings.

On a FAT32 formatted SD Card it does work to leave the foldename field blank.

Martin:
Hmmm... ok, I think I found the reason..

The HDD used has 74Gbyte capacity, I formatted the whole drive in FAT32 using a tool (h2format in this case) which circumvents the Windows 7 limit to 32Gbyte partitions when formatting FAT32.

I found my whole second test batch in shambles  :'(  Each folder contained only the first raw file and each file- and foldername was truncated to the 8(.3) limitation.

During my test I had some troubles manually specifying the folder name, I often got "Filename already exists" and had to use a different combination of characters each time, some were quite long, all were cut to 8(.3) with a random character at the end (the first 7 were how I tried to name them, the 8th was a random one, maybe the last character of the longer filename, not sure).

So I repartitioned to 2 x 32Gbyte and 1 x 10Gbyte, formatted FAT32 using Win 7, and now it works. Even the automatic naming works if you leave the field blank :D

FAT32 seems to be slower than EXT3 as well, when saving RAW? Not much, but it's a difference, mostly on the smaller filesize writespeeds..

Would like to get some feedback on this, if it's just me or if it's reproducable. Thanks :)

All the best
Martin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version