Author Topic: Infrared Footage  (Read 9281 times)

infrared

• View Profile
Infrared Footage
« on: November 18, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
Does anyone have any infrared footage +/- with additional IR lighting?
I'm interested in getting the Chronos 2.1 but would like to see some example IR videos (even from the 1.4) before purchasing.

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Infrared Footage
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 06:48:53 AM »
Its Quite Cloudy and Dark here right now, so best thing i can come up at the moment with is a Quick comparison shot here on my desk. Lighting by my usual Daily Desk lighting aka. 2x 50W LED-Panels overhead, Light is unchanged between shots. All Three are taken at 60fps /359° /0dB. Exposure is adjusted by aperture, for the IR shot it was around f/1.4, for the IR+Vis it should have been around f/4. Lens used for this little Comparison is my Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50mm f/0,95; very sharp Lens in the Center, but gets a little Funky towards the Corners, with large Aperture Settings, so the IR Shot is a bit more blurry because of That. All images taken with removed Internal Hot Mirror, Vis Image with an Added Heliopan Digital Filter (IR/UV Filter) in front of the Lens, IR image taken with an Fotga Fader ND IR at an Setting around 600nm; IR+Vis Image Taken Without any additional Filters. Original DNG files are also uploaded here, the PNG ones are just adjusted for White balance, and some Tonemapping, otherwise untouched.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:12:14 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »
It wont Let me upload the DNG files for some Weird reason, allways get an error trying to post about Security Check for the Files failed, even though they are straight from the SD-Card from the Chronos...? However, i hope you get the Idea from the PNGs i posted. If you still want the DNGs, i can Try posting them again later or try sending them per E-Mail (Send me an PM about that, if you want to do that).

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:21:43 AM »
Also, since i get asked that very often and also see Questions about that here on the Forum a lot, here is some Quick "Guide" to remove the Hot Mirror for IR/UV stuff or Full-Spectrum Use of the Chronos (2.1 shown here, should be the Same or very simmilar on the 1.4, but please double Check on yours if you want to remove it there, never did THAT on an 1.4...). Sorry for the Blurry images, wasnt in the Mood to set up an Tripod for this, so this is just shot by hand, hope they are still sharp enough to show what is going on.
So, first Remove the Small Screw from the Bottom Of the Camera, screw it out completely. Then Drop out the Small Brass Rod that sits behind the Screw. Make sure to Remove the Brass Rod bevore Removing the Mount, to make sure to not drop it on th Sensor (or Hot Mirror). When Screw and Brass Rod are Removed, Screw out the Mount. I just made a Small Dot with a small Black Marker Where the CS-Mount Writing and The Line sits, so its a Lot easier to align it again when you need to remove it and Put it back on a lot. You would propably still want to propperly adjust your backfocus after that, but for my use its mostly good enough, and Pretty fast. When The Mount is Removed, two Small Screws and An small holding Plate becomes Visible. Those Two Philipps head Screws need to be removed, but again, be very carefull to not drop anything on the ot mirror or Sensor. Then, when the Plate is removed, the Hot Mirror itself can be taken out. Make sure to prepare Some Soft Clean spot to put it and avoid touching the Surface, for example by holding it at the Corners. After that, just Put the Mount + Brass Rod + Screw back in there in reverse order (or leave them out, if you use alternative Mounting solutions), and you are Ready to shoot.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:12:04 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
Maybe also try to contact this user, he seems to actually use the Chronos for IR Stuff:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=141.0

infrared

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
Thanks Nikon1! :)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 01:20:49 PM »
Here is an pretty extreme one, Soldering Iron. This time 60fps/ 359°/ 12dB; all Shot at full f/0,95 and Exposure Boosted a ton in post, hence the Harsh noise, but keep in mind that is some Serious Low Light stuff....
Again IR-Only / IR+Vis/ Vis-Only;  Same Filters as for the First test.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:11:49 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 07:49:00 AM »
Some more Full-Spectrum-Footage (notice the Red Sheen on the Fruits from the IR, also put an cheap RGB Remote in there too for some representation of Color). This was a Test to use my 1Nikkor Lenses on the Chronos and also try to push the Limits on Dynamic Range a bit. Lighting by an 300W LED Spot from 60cm Away (pretty Harsh Lighting) and a 120W Tungsten Lamp 2m Away as a bit of an Fill. Shot at 1kfps 0dB 243° f/5.6 on the 1Nikkor 32mm 1.2 Lens (Digital Mirrorless Lens for 1" Sensor format, so the Corners on the much bigger 4/3" Chronos Sensor start to get a little darker, but still very useable Lens and one of the Sharpest ones i own. Lens is also Shown in the First Reply).
@infrared: Let me know if you want to see more IR- / Full-Spectrum Stuff, then i will maybe record a bunch more sometime. My Main Cam is Full-Spectrum Anyways so i am pretty used to do Full-Spectrum and IR stuff. Never got into UV-only, because i could never Justify to buy propper Filters for it, so i cant really provide Samples for that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:11:54 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 01:35:09 AM »
ok, there is an actuall Tutorial for this, the more you know:
 https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/IR-Filter-.pdf