Author Topic: Introducing Chronos 2.1 HD!  (Read 56854 times)

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
Re: Introducing Chronos 2.1 HD!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 12:51:42 AM »
Yes, the 2.1 is the same as the 1.4 regarding the lens mount, so it'll work no problem.

hydraulicpresschannel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
I Had to order one with the color sensor. I am also tempted to order second one with monochrome sensor but my wife would get even more angry so I think I have to pass that :D

The Chronos 1.4 has been really good for Youtube use but some of our customers that are ordering add videos etc. don't want to use 720p footage at all. But now I can still have my 1500€ high speed camera fee on final bill with out paying same amount for Phantom rental :D

Michael M.

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »
We can address the package to your neighbour so your wife would never find out!   ;)

huythuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 10:10:57 PM »
1. can you further explain the compatibility note for EF & F lens ?

it seems 2.1 still has the C-mount, right ? Does that mean the C-EF or C-F adapter will be provided with the purchase ?

2. I saw in the forum there's a thread where the 3D printed C-MTF adapter was shared and seemed to work. The 2.1 sensor is now much bigger than 1.4, which MTF Speedbooster adapter is now working better with the new 2.1 ? the Metabones 0.58x, 0.64x (XL), or 0.71x ?

3. I wish Krontech will provide customer with prebuilt on-camera MTF mount, which sounds right for a MTF sensor camera.
Standard MTF mount will open a lot of possibility for usage of lens and adapters.

dindindy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:56 PM »
Many MFT lens needs the camera body to control the motor inside the lens to focus even when you select the manual focusing mode. Only some Pro MFT lens have the  mechanic design which U can focus with the focusing ring and select the F no. by the aparture ring. This is a huge budget for Krontech to buy the patent from Pana & OM. So Chronons will not cost several k US $ *_*

huythuy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 10:25:40 PM »
well it doesn't necessary mean using MTF lenses on MTF mount. A well design non-electronic controlled MTF mount will give us more options to buy off the shelf adapters to PL - F - and EF which also give chance to speed boost the lens

it's clearly more videographer-friendly and has been done here before on Chronos 1.4: http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=123.0

JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
As I understand, there will be a m4/3 mount accessory on the Chronos store at some point. What I don't know yet is how the reduced flange distance will factor into this. Aimed Research did a trial 3D printed m4/3 mount for the 1.4 and the tolerance and spaces were extremely small from C to m4/3.  There is value in offering m4/3 lens support because there are dozens of excellent non electronic manual cinema style lenses for the platform like rokinons and SLR magics.
The 2.1 seems to be a camera that will really change the market and allow ownership of full HD slow mo to everyone. Great Mission!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
2. I saw in the forum there's a thread where the 3D printed C-MTF adapter was shared and seemed to work. The 2.1 sensor is now much bigger than 1.4, which MTF Speedbooster adapter is now working better with the new 2.1 ? the Metabones 0.58x, 0.64x (XL), or 0.71x ?
Well, i did some Crazy stuff with the Metabones 0.58x (i Own that one), and adapted it to an Nikon1 J5, which works Great. So it will also work with the Chronos as Long as Flange distance is considred. But i am Not sure if the 0,58x will cover the Full M3/4 Sensor Format, which the 2.1 has. For the 1.4 Chronos (full sensor Coverage) and filming 720p with the 2.1, it should be fine pretty sure, if you are interrested in Coverage of the 0.58x on the full Sensor of the 2.1 Chronos, i would need to test that, never thought about something like that...
The 0.71x should cover easily the full sensor of the 2.1, but i dont know the 0.64x and what it could do.
For 1" (the Format, i am used to and use) the Metabones 0,58x is quite insane!
1 2/3 Stops more Light! so your 50mm f/1.2 becomes a 29mm f/0.7!
Optical performance is very good!
3. I wish Krontech will provide customer with prebuilt on-camera MTF mount, which sounds right for a MTF sensor camera.
Standard MTF mount will open a lot of possibility for usage of lens and adapters.
Well...
"sounds right for a MFT sensor camera"
There are lot of Industry Highspeed-Cameras with MFT-Sensor and CS- or C-Mount. This is quite Common thing to see.
So there is nothing too much Wrong about it beeing a CS-Mount seen from that point of view...
Also there is some Disadvantages about going with a Fixed MFT-Mount:
  • You cant use some of the C-Mount lenses which are Very FAT and need to sit very close to the Mount.
  • You cant use Mount Adapters. Tor the CS-Mount of the Chronos Cameras in combination with those four Thread-Mounting-Points at the Front this means, that you would even Be able to adapt stuff like Sony-E-Mount glass, Nikon Z-Mount Glass, Canon EOS-R- Mount Glass, MFT-Mount Stuff, Nikon1-Mount Stuff, Fuji-x-Mount Glass and a ton of other very crazy stuff via some Interchangeable Mounts
  • If you want to use some VERY short Focal length Lenses (Below 6mm for example...) because you use Fast Framerates (=only small area of the Sensor is actually used= Smaller effective Sensor Size) and still want to go pretty wide, CS-Mount is sometimes your only Option
so, you can Make the CS-Mount Chronos an MFT-Mount Camera with an Interchangeable Mount, but if it was an MFT-Mount to beginn with, you cant use anything with Shorter or simmilar Flange-Distance!
So to fit everyones Needs (Dont forget, that the Chronos 1.4 AND 2.1 is also an VERY interresting Camera for Industry-Applications! Not only Cinema and the Like. Everybody likes good performance for an Fair Price!), the way they gone with the Chronos is actually very smart and the best way to do it.
You are Right, "Native" MFT-Mount will give you a lot of Options for Lenses, but the Chronos has way more Options for Lenses, including EVERYTHING anyone will be ever able to adapt to MFT-Mount!
The thing you miss is propably a high Quality Interchangeable Mount (not one, that screws into the CS-Mount, but one that will use those four Screw-Holes in the Front). Just forget about the CS-Mount, if you dont like it, and think about it, as an Interchangeable-Mount Camera (like for example an RED with interchangeable Mount...), but you cant buy the Mounts yet.
If it helps you anything, i (and a lot of other people) could built an Interchangeable Mount like what you want. Or help You with Building / Printing your own...

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
well it doesn't necessary mean using MTF lenses on MTF mount. A well design non-electronic controlled MTF mount will give us more options to buy off the shelf adapters to PL - F - and EF which also give chance to speed boost the lens

it's clearly more videographer-friendly and has been done here before on Chronos 1.4: http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=123.0

my adapter to m4/3 speedbooster xl to canon ef works fantastic and can also provide power for lens IS and aperture changes on canon electronic lenses via the usb micro on the speedbooster makes the chronos 100x better in my opinion

scottlw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
Welp glad I didn't wait 2 more weeks to buy one or I would have got the new one instead of the 1.4 lol.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 01:22:14 AM »
Maybe you can still change your order, if it isn't shipped already.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 09:00:21 AM »
if you are interrested in Coverage of the 0.58x on the full Sensor of the 2.1 Chronos, i would need to test that, never thought about something like that...
So, here You go:
Just Got around to test the Metabones 0,58x on my Nikon D3300 to test the Coverage of it.
Images are Attatched to the Post.
And no, this wont work with an Stock D3300!
Sorry also for the Crapy image Quality, the Off-Center Image-Circle and all the Shaking and Light-Leaks in the Test-Frame there.
This was An Image Taken By my D3300, From which the Shutter, Mirror and some other stuff i dont needed Was Removed. Basicaly Freelensing on an Camera without any Mount.
Images of that Monster Of an Camera are also Attatched (It is otherwise mostly still an Functional Camera like an Original one).
As you can see, the 0,58x Metabones will not Quite Cover all of the Chronos 2.1 Sensor completely, but most of it. Has still an Impressive Image Circle, if you keep in mind, that it was designed for an sensor even smaller than the one from the Nikon1 (which i use the Speedbooster on).
The not-so-extreme other Speedboosters should cover the Chronos Sensor better i think (never owned an other one...).
The 0,58x is still extremely usefull for the 2.1 though, because you will get tons of Light with that Thing (For stuff like available Light / Low Light-Slow Motion)! F / 1.8 will become f / 1 and F / 1.2 will become F / 0.7 after the speedbooster has done Its thing. Also, you will get some Crazy fast, wide "Lenses" If you combine Certain Lenses with that Speedbooster.
While looking through the List of Image Sensor Formats to calculate the Coverage for this test here, i realized how WIDE the New Chronos Sensor is.
Also, very interresting Format for that Sensor! Its not Quite AS wide, but still surprisingly Similar in size to the Super35mm Film-Format!
Combined with the Image Quality and the RAW this should be Very Interresting option for all sorts of Filmmaking (even if you dont need the Maximum Frame-Rate all the time...).
AND: 19,2x10,8mm @ 1920x1080px means that every pixel will be the size of 1 / 100mm! This could be interresting for all sorts of things, for example 1:1 Macro and all sorts of Digital Measuring and Industrial Stuff!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:44:43 AM by foobar »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 07:02:31 AM »
Sorry, Had some Problems and couldnt edit the Post above, and thus coudnt attach the Promised Images. While Uploading some Kind of error happened, and The Images didnt upload, just the Text, and the Page /thread here Was Broken for me since now.
However, here they are (hopefully, if it works this time...).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:48:08 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 07:20:21 AM »
And here are the Images Of the Modified Nikon D3300, which took above image.
Please someone Confirm, that you could also see the Images online, and that the Upload worked this time.
Thanks in advance!
Just while Uploading, i found an image of the BMPCC-Speedbooster for Nikon-F-Mount Lenses (originaly MFT Mount) modified and Fittet onto an Nikon J5 (which was Also Modified to allow this to work). Image Quality is Outstanding, and you get 0,58x Speedboost and 1 2/3 Stop more Light.
I also Adapted this Same Nikon J5 to take MFT-Mount glass at some Point (an Interchangeable Mount...), just dont know where THAT image is...
Just wanting to say with this, if someone has the will to do it, you could adapt basicaly (almost) anything onto an Chronos, if you just wanted it hard enough.
#EDIT#: Wait, while Looking at the image again, i saw, that this was still my "Prototyping" Stage of that adaption! This is the Speedbooster with original MFT-Mount on it, untouched, but the Nikon 1 J5 has th 3D-Printed MTF Mount attatched! The Speedbooster later got an (interchangeable) Metal Mount for Nikon-1 Bajonet, and is now a "native" Lens for my Nikon1.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:47:37 AM by Nikon1 »

benp

• View Profile
    • AdSortium Media
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:08 AM »
I'm seeing the images.