Author Topic: Introducing Chronos 2.1 HD!  (Read 56685 times)

Michael M.

• Krontech
    • View Profile
Introducing Chronos 2.1 HD!
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:54:42 AM »
Introducing the extremely anticipated Chronos 2.1!

Featuring a new 2.1 gigapixel/second sensor capable of 1080 HD resolution at 1000FPS with a maximum frame rate of 24,046 FPS.

Now sports Nikon F and Canon EF lens compatibility.

Chronos 2.1 features an LCD display that is slightly over 3x the brightness of Chronos 1.4. At 1000 nits, Chronos 2.1 makes for significantly better viewing of the camera controls when filming outdoors.

Attached is a full datasheet of Chronos 2.1.

Teardown and demo reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4iBiVZlzns (comprehensive)
Demo reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0opKfWNTJI
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:15:30 PM by CircleOfConfusion »

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Introducing Chronos 2.1 HD!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »
Sounds and looks great. Nice to see some user-requested improvements.
Will the preorder include a lens or just the camera?

1022mm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »
This looks quite amazing!   I have been doing some non-production testing with my 1.4 at 5,900 fps and getting some fantastic results that are surprisingly passable when the 640x360 frame is algorithmically upscaled to 1920x1080.  5,900fps is a world above 1,500fps in the type of detail that can be captured.   My question would be what type of increase in frame size would the 2.1 be able to manage at ~6k fps?  This wasn't clear to me since the 720p max is still 1,500fps on the 2.1.  Are we looking at a similar throughput for resolutions below 720p with the 2.1 version?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:01:24 PM by 1022mm »

PaulBryanTV

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:36 PM »
This looks quite amazing!   I have been doing some non-production testing with my 1.4 at 5,900 fps and getting some fantastic results that are actually passable when the 640x360 frame is algorithmically upscaled to 1080p.  5,900fps is a world above 1,500fps in the type of detail that can be captured.   My question would be what type of increase in frame size would the 2.1 be able to manage at ~6k fps?  This wasn't clear to me since the 720p max is still 1,500fps on the 2.1.  Are we looking at a similar throughput for resolutions below 720p with the 2.1 version?

If the throughput is a 1.5x as suggested then you could do 720x480 of any equivalent ratio.

rnighting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
Not sure if it would be better to repost questions, or just link them, so I'll just link them for now:
http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=463.0

Michael M.

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Sounds and looks great. Nice to see some user-requested improvements.
Will the preorder include a lens or just the camera?

I don't believe we are including lenses with this one.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 11:59:02 PM »
@cornflakes are there going to be any improvements to the speed of saving to the sd card? like using a fast sdxc and saving much quicker?
there is going to be larger files with the new one and its already really slow on the current camera.
this is my number one concern in the waterhousing, i pre ordered the camera but need to know about saving.
everthing else looks good sensor size and brighter screen and more res

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:01:53 AM »
Wow, that is really nice to see, that the Chronos is now finally going Full 1080p!
Now I am Kind of happy that i couldn´t afford a Chronos 1.4 yet, because if i bought one, i would propably not be able to buy an 2.1 anytime soon  ;)
Sensor Size is a bit big for my taste, 1" would have been Perfect for me, because of my lenses, but since it is an Highspeed-Camera, i could still do something around 720p @ 1500fps and still get something like an 1" Sensor size for my Lenses, that wont quite Cover 4/3".
But for anyone else 4/3" is propably a lot better, also it should improve Image quality allready because of that bigger Sensor and therefore much bigger Pixels on the Sensor itself.
AND it will still do 60fps continous (when it is supportet in software at some Point) at 1080p with CinemaDNG-Output on an 4/3" sensor and has Global Shutter. Thats quite something, and would work well even as an Production Camera for Real time Footage.
Also Like the 800 Base ISO! For a Camera like that, this is an actual Live-Saver! But for Real-Time-Filming with it, i am somewhat sure, that i will end up with an ND-Filter on my lens quite often (Which is not a bad thing to be clear).
The Reel is pretty good. This one has some very good Footage on it, and the Production Level improoved a lot since the first Demo-Videos from the 1.4 Chronos.
Even if 5k seems a lot of money, this is actually a very good price for that camera! Looking Forward to get one if possible.
#EDIT#: Also, i hope you guys from Chrontech will come far with your Project right here! Love what you are doing here, listening to what people want and sell Products at realistic prices, one could afford!
#EDIT2#: I hope that Underwater- Chronos 1.4 was either an Showpice without internals or was defective in some way, otherwise, that would be somewhat sad...
...OR You guys are Developing some kind of Underwater-Slowmo-Cam here and this is Leaked Footage from testing.  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:23:18 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 07:24:55 AM »
Just watched that 2.1-Demo-Reel again and noticed, just HOW good the Colors (and Dynamic Range) look.
Either someone with great Skills who knows his Buissnes well did the Grading or the 2.1 is just THAT good...?
Colorwise the best thing i ever saw out of all the Chronos Footage around.
Seems like you Krontech guys now got your Color Science on spot right!
If you keep improofing at that speed you will be able to take on Arri in a few years  ;D

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
Chronos full HD... David, I love you for this one!!!! :'D

I'm realy fighting with myself If I should just buy one right now... Only the 19% tax for the import to Germany is such a pain in the a... That fact is the only thing holding me back ordering one right now (that would be around 1000€ for nothing >.< ...)

If you would just open a store in the EU ... That would be awesome. :'D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:51:40 AM by Buddlich »

Max

• Administrator
  • Oh hello there :D
    • View Profile
    • Meep Space
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
This looks quite amazing!   I have been doing some non-production testing with my 1.4 at 5,900 fps and getting some fantastic results that are actually passable when the 640x360 frame is algorithmically upscaled to 1080p.  5,900fps is a world above 1,500fps in the type of detail that can be captured.   My question would be what type of increase in frame size would the 2.1 be able to manage at ~6k fps?  This wasn't clear to me since the 720p max is still 1,500fps on the 2.1.  Are we looking at a similar throughput for resolutions below 720p with the 2.1 version?

If the throughput is a 1.5x as suggested then you could do 720x480 of any equivalent ratio.

The LUX2100 sensor which the Chronos 2.1 utilizes does have slightly stricter limitations when it comes to horizontal windowing, so I'm not sure if it's possible to window to horizontal resolution of 720 pixels.

Max

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 05:58:43 AM »
If you would just open a store in the EU ... That would be awesome. :'D

Hehe, I second that wholeheartedly!! :D (Maybe not the UK though...no offense  :) )

Or some Trade-In option for current Chronos owners, which "made it all possible"  ;D ;D ;D
(For a smaller HW-upgrade fee, of course ;) Since all its hardware seems to be VERY recyclable?)

Or why not both proposals? :D

All the best!
Martin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:00:52 AM by Martin »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 06:16:35 AM »
Also German here, and i did Absolutely forget, that there Will be also taxes added on that 5000 Pricetag für the 2.1.
Well that sucks.
Just an question, not for me, since i dont have a Chronos yet, but for any other owner in Germany:
If they send the 1.4 camera back to Canada and you do an "repair" or "upgrade" to an 2.1 Chronos and send that 2.1 then back to Germany, will there Still be the huge tax to pay or would that be a way around it?
Just wondering....
Also, just thought about it, and there will propably be a lot of people upgrading and selling their used 1.4 Chronos. So i am allready looking forward to maybe find some used ones in medium condition at even lower prices? we will see  :)

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Also German here, and i did Absolutely forget, that there Will be also taxes added on that 5000 Pricetag für the 2.1.
Well that sucks.
Just an question, not for me, since i dont have a Chronos yet, but for any other owner in Germany:
If they send the 1.4 camera back to Canada and you do an "repair" or "upgrade" to an 2.1 Chronos and send that 2.1 then back to Germany, will there Still be the huge tax to pay or would that be a way around it?
Just wondering....

Well, shipping would need to be insured, of course, as with any warranty or repair exchange.
And iirc it's postage and insured value combined which triggers VAT here, at a certain amount (was it 150 Euros? In any case, you'd be well above that. I believe there wouldn't be additional customs taxes since it's a "digital camera", which is, as well as "camera equipment" like lenses etc, excluded from customs taxes, iirc). So, yes, it'd be expensive, that's why I liked the idea for an EU salespoint/office very much :D

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »
Wow, VERY nice!

Unfortunately  ;) I already have a 1.4, and no play money left.

Maybe I'll save a bit towards the 4.8 coming in 2024 :p

You mentioned, the 2.1 will be able to accept Nikon lenses? But on the video the camera body looks like it also had the CS mount. Will an adapter work on the 1.4, to accept Nikon lenses? I have a Nikon DSLR, and buying dual use lenses would relax my ministry of finance quite a bit.