Author Topic: Video editing software  (Read 20150 times)

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
    • Sugar Lake Rustic Furniture
Video editing software
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »
I just ordered my camera today & can't wait to start playing. I'm wondering what video editing software people are using. I've had a GoPro for a few years & have been using PowerDirector with satisfactory results (I'm a PC guy, not Apple).
Now that I'm going from regular speed & time lapse videos to radically slowing things down I wonder if different editing software might be necessary for optimal results.  The camera will not be used commercially, its just for fun. Are video editing software packages generally good or bad across all types of filming or are some better at say time lapse than high speed while others are better at high speed than time lapse?

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Video editing software
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
You might take a look at this topic:
http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=41.0

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:03:41 AM »
Thanks for the info NiNeff, lots of software suggestions in that topic. 
I'm not necessarily looking for free software, after all we know what these cameras cost, what's a few more bucks.
Is anybody out there using PowerDirector?

DavisolAvin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:34:09 AM »
I guess you found already what you were looking for. There are a lot of video editing software options out there.

KenziMac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:39:06 AM »
I would love to take a look at the videos you created. I find people who have the ability to film high-quality videos to be very talented. Editing has never been one of my strengths, unfortunately. Having a lot of editing video software options has become something casual, and this is a natural result of the overall technological development. I have never tried GoPro, but I've read some good reviews about it. Therefore, feel free to try and use it. I'm looking for a template design editor. The best part of having an editor is that you can save a lot of time and effort when creating a project.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:57:22 PM by KenziMac »

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 03:49:25 AM »
I guess you found already what you were looking for. There are a lot of video editing software options out there.

Yes, being a PC guy I've been using PowerDirector for all my video editing. It does everything I want & is reasonably priced. If I had a MAC I'd probably be using Apple software.  However be prepared to spend some time playing with any video editing software you get, they all have a learning curve.
In my limited experience making videos, my biggest challenge is finding suitable uncopywrited music.

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 03:54:18 AM »
I would love to take a look at the videos you created...

Thanks for your interest.  This is my most recent slomo video:

There are a few more mixed in with my other videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p7AoQuMasvc_OpdAi4Cbg
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:29:54 AM by PointyHairedBoss »

slawacarlick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »
 Who has any experience with any of these? Perhaps something else?

axiax96

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 06:03:16 PM »
PowerDirector is a great program and it is highly optimized, but the problem is that the functionality of this program is not that great. In addition, PowerDirector has a very poor implementation of the green screen editing function. That is why I decided to find software in which I can correctly apply the green screen function. I found the Top 10 Free Green Screen Software in this article and it helped me a lot. This list includes programs such as Movavi Video Editor Plus and others. The functionality and speed of this program is simply amazing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:57:21 AM by axiax96 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 05:50:21 AM »
Also what video editor have you used to merge the whole video? I know there're plenty of softwares, but a great number of them destroy the quality so much...
What? Which ones? Most (at least half way decent, and yes, also the Plenty of free ones) ones are able to export in high quality or even Uncompressed (which of course will result in an Huge File usualy, depending on length of whatever you export. Make sure your PC can play those back, if you try to use uncompressed formats, as they can be pretty demanding in terms of Hardware needed for Smooth playback) Quality. If your Editing software outputs bad quality files, check your Settings for Export (or whatever the specific Software calls those). Usually increasing Bitrate by quite a bit should help with quality, if you are using compressed Formats like .mp4 or anything else H.264/ H.265 / Quicktime /ect.
 If that still isnt High enough Quality, try to change export File Format/ Codec to an Uncompressed/ Less Compressed Format/ Codec.
 In terms of Bitrate for .mp4 Files with H.264 Compression, 8000 kBit/s should be Plenty for FullHD Resolution, even i use less sometims if i need smaller files, like to upload them here.
 If you have a ton of random Noise or glitter or something like that (a lot of fast and randomly changing color and Brightness Information in the Images compared to the Following frame/-s), you might need WAY more than 8000kBits to make it look reasonably good. The Less changes within your frame, the lower Bitrate will usually be enough to result in an Similarly good looking final image in the exported File.

IsaiAustin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 05:16:08 PM »
I started editing videos in the simplest free phone apps. When I started doing more professional video editing, I sometimes bought subscriptions to some of the better apps. Your choice of video processing software depends on your needs. Of course, CapCut or Inshot won't work for processing professional videos, but they work great for everyday Instagram or TikTok clips. Many YouTube bloggers use iMovie or FinalCut Pro to process their videos. I know several companies that professionally shoot and edit different videos. One of them is actively engaged in Video Marketing, which is in demand in the service market. I think creating a good visual for your brand is a great option.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:07:42 PM by IsaiAustin »