Author Topic: New Pre-orders  (Read 12000 times)

wilheldp

• View Profile
New Pre-orders
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »
I see that the pre-order page now says that orders are scheduled to ship at the end of August.  Is that still an accurate estimate?  Is that the timeframe where the store page will switch from pre-orders to just in-stock or BTO orders?

Also, are there plans in the works for a "next-gen" Chronos with a throughput higher than 1.4 Gp/s, or will there be quite a bit of time spent refining the software rather than working on hardware improvements? 

I really want to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'm a little gun-shy.  At the moment, I'm already 1000 GBP in the hole after Graham Rowan failed to deliver the FPS1000 after I made a deposit (I know...I know...I've seen the comparison between the low-end FPS1000 and Chronos.  I'm just bitter that I have neither my deposit back, nor a camera, no matter how crappy). 

Also, I have a near-term use for the Chronos at work, so a long delay may get me in hot water.  The alternative is to pay for a rental on a Phantom which would cost nearly as much as the Chronos (just for the rental), and would be overkill (don't need Phantom performance for the task at hand).

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: New Pre-orders
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:30:45 AM »
That's still accurate assuming no suppliers delay shipping parts to us. Assembly will be starting tomorrow, and the only thing left to arrive are the main boards which are scheduled to be in around the 16th. Once those are in we can fully assemble and start to ship cameras.

If you need a camera for a short time, Aimed Research has one available for rental. We normally have them available for rental too but we're short on cameras until the new batch is done.

It's still early to be thinking of new models, once the craziness of the initial batch and delivery dies down we'll be starting on the next faster camera, as well as software updates for Chronos 1.4 of course.

wilheldp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I guess what I was driving at, and I think you answered it, is your latest batch of parts will be large enough to produce all current pre-orders, plus have some available for new pre-orders and maybe some stock?

Out of curiosity, how many production units have you made so far?

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I guess what I was driving at, and I think you answered it, is your latest batch of parts will be large enough to produce all current pre-orders, plus have some available for new pre-orders and maybe some stock?

Out of curiosity, how many production units have you made so far?

I think there well over the 500 mark on Kickstarter. With any new R&D item there is going to be set backs. It cones with the territory.

wilheldp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:23:31 PM »
As far as crowd-funding projects, I considered this one low-risk from he get-go.  I saw Dave's videos and prototypes before he launched the KS campaign.  Unfortunately, I funded the FPS1000 before the Chronos KS launched (~3 years ago).  In fact, it was the Tesla500 teardowns of Phantoms that got me interested in high-speed photography in the first place.  I just didn't know that Dave was planning on kickstarting this camera before I saw the FPS1000 campaign.

Regardless, I pulled the trigger yesterday.  I'm now an anxious pre-orderer. 

gyppor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
You won't be disappointed. The camera is wonderful to use, bult like a tank and the image quality straight out of the camera is significantly better than what youtube leads you to believe, as they compress quite a bit.
Happy shooting!

G

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:31:22 PM »
Total Kickstarter sales are 117 cameras (including 24 Earlybird units), and so far there have been 128 preorders via the online store, for 245 total cameras.

The current batch in production now is 280 cameras plus some spare parts for service/warranty purposes. There are currently 70 unsold cameras for stock which should last a few months, unless there's a sudden increase in sales once they're in stock, which to be fair is quite likely.

David

Explodify

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »
Just bought mine! Cannot wait for them to come in!