Author Topic: Max framerate limitations  (Read 5971 times)

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
Max framerate limitations
« on: May 01, 2020, 02:23:39 AM »
Maybe somebody can help me understand. I do not know exactly what the limitations of the sensor are, but my question is this:

At maximum resolution on the 1.4 we get about 1000fps at 360 degrees. Why can the camera not get a higher framerate at 180 degrees? Since the sensor is only active half of the time.

ie, Is it possible to increase the framerate at a specific resolution by limiting the shutter to a smaller value?

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Max framerate limitations
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 03:31:15 AM »
Keep in mind, there is not only a limitation on how much data the Sensor could push out, the electronics inside the camera need to also be able to process that in that time also.
 So even if the Sensor was able to do more fps at full Resolution, the Bottleneck at that point would propably be the Image Processing / Memory, not the sensor itself.
 I am by no means an Expert if it comes to Electronics, i am more of an Optics guy (so if i am wrong, please someone Correct my facts here, if i am wrong....) but as far as i know, the Chronos 1.4 Can Process 1.4 Gigapixels per Second Data Througput. Since the Sensor Resolution is around 1.3 Megapixels for a Full Readout, this amount of pixels could be Processed around 1000 times Per Second. So even if the Sensor would be able to do double the Framerate (wich i dont know, at what kind of Readout rates the Sensor itself would top out with more Powerfull Image Processing Unit behind it?), the Processing Unit / Electronics itself wouldnt be able to keep up with all the Data, and thats why even for really Short exposure Times (10 degree shutter or below) you will still be stuck at Max FPS for That Resolution, it wont change from exposure time.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 05:23:55 AM »
ie, Is it possible to increase the framerate at a specific resolution by limiting the shutter to a smaller value?
no, this is not possible. You can think of the shutterspeed as a type of pulse width modulation. The pules themselves get longer or shorter, but the distance between the start of the pulses stays the same.
Your only option for faster framerates is to decrease the image resolution.

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 05:47:45 AM »
Yes that makes perfect sense, thank you!