Author Topic: Corrupted SD card  (Read 8447 times)

Prehistoricman

• View Profile
Corrupted SD card
« on: June 28, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
I plugged my SD card in today after filming some days ago. What I saw is in the screenshot attached.
I don't recall doing anything that could corrupt the card like removing power or removing the card while the camera's on.
I don't think I've lost much. I saved some pretty huge files (most of the 8 seconds record time at 720p) and I only had a few GB left on the 32GB card that I got with the camera. I think those large ones are missing from the file list. As you can see in the 2nd screenshot, a lot of the videos are still present (and do play perfectly). There are some that have an odd name and these also play fine.

I was wondering if anybody had encountered this before and knew how it happened or how to recover lost files. I've tried copying some of the corrupt files and Windows won't let me (it complains about the file name).

Fyodor

• View Profile
Re: Corrupted SD card
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:39:22 PM »
I had something similar with an SD card in my DSLR. These are not corrupted files, the flash is defective. It might disappear when formatting, but will come back. Replace the card.

Prehistoricman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the advice, I will buy another.

Michael M.

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that, try reformatting and see if it does it again. I wouldn't rely on that card until it proves it was just a one off.

-Michael

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:33:04 AM »
My experience is, that this problem keeps coming back, sometimes several uses later, when you started feeling confident in that card again.

I would toss that card, or only use it when doing tests with the camera, where the actual footage is not needed.

Prehistoricman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
I managed to recover all the files using a tool called PhotoRec. I had previously re-compressed the videos over to my PC so I had all the file names. So it seems that only the file descriptors were corrupted.

I've filled the card and didn't get anything to happen. Perhaps a greater number of files triggers the issue. I'll try copying over all the videos I had and see what happens.

I bought a Samsung Evo Plus 64GB to replace it.

Prehistoricman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »
Curiously, a similar thing appears to have happened to the new card. I have a microSD to USB adapter and it was having trouble copying some of the video files.

Sometimes my camera doesn't boot properly and does things such as hanging, turning off. I wonder if I have a corrupt image and the camera is causing these SD card issues.
Alternatively, it's the adapter.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
I managed to recover all the files using a tool called PhotoRec.

TestDisk and PhotoRec are extremely powerful tools, I would recommend them 100% but if you have the hard drive space try to make an image of the SD/USB/SSD and do your recovery on the image. There's no telling if the storage device will fail permanently while you are halfway through the recovery.