Author Topic: Please synchronize frame numbers to trigger  (Read 11917 times)

LimaKilo

• View Profile
Please synchronize frame numbers to trigger
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:05:03 PM »
The numbers of the recorded frames in the play / save dialog and when saving should correspond to the trigger, so that frame 0 is at the time of the trigger and negative frames are before, positive after. When you record a short, fast event with a trigger, as of now you either need to search it in the recording or calculate where it should be based on your trigger settings (which you hopefully haven't changed since recording). This is especially important for scientific uses, where you often want to synchronize the video with e.g. an oscillogram.

I also have some wishes for the video overlay: It would be nice to have the time information in the playback window without having to turn on the overlay for saving. And please consider an option to add the overlay information below / next to the video frames instead of overlaid, so you get the information without losing frame content.

By the way, the network control is really nice to have! In a lab environment, it's very comfortable to be able to do all the necessary work in the web view and save to a network drive without having to touch the camera!

Would it be possible to share the whole user interface of the camera via network, like in a VNC system?

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Please synchronize frame numbers to trigger
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »
Would it be possible to share the whole user interface of the camera via network, like in a VNC system?
This is already mostly possible using the webinterface and the latests camera software. Just point your browser to the cameras IP address. The video there is only about 1 FPS for preview, but a 60fps videostream is also available (view it with VLC for example)

LimaKilo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:02:07 AM »
This is already mostly possible using the webinterface and the latests camera software. Just point your browser to the cameras IP address. The video there is only about 1 FPS for preview, but a 60fps videostream is also available (view it with VLC for example)

I know, but not everything is there, e.g. no trigger settings. VNC access would expose everything you can do on the camera to network with less effort to duplicate everything for the web interface and API access, under the premise that the camera GUI can be shared like a desktop (which I don't know).

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »
did you try x11 forwarding over ssh? might work. You should also be able to install vnc servers your self from the debian repositories.

LimaKilo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:28 AM »
did you try x11 forwarding over ssh? might work. You should also be able to install vnc servers your self from the debian repositories.

That was the first thing I had in mind, but I don't see an xserver running on the camera. I think there is no desktop and the GUI is directly "sent" to the display, so I have no idea where to start.

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
Thank you for your feedback regarding improvements to our frame timing.

Regarding the remote control of the camera via various methods:

• The Chronos doesn't run a windowing system like X11, both the video feed and the Qt GUI are directly rendered to the frambuffer in this case.
  • We're a few weeks out from another release that should contain trigger config settings on the webpage that should work for most users' needs. Do you mind me asking what your triggering requirements are like for your setup?
  • For the time being, the best way to handle remote triggering would be with your own calls to our Python API here: https://github.com/krontech/pychronos#io-group (while also acknowledging that it takes some time and effort to work with our API)

LimaKilo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
Thank you for your feedback regarding improvements to our frame timing.

Regarding the remote control of the camera via various methods:

• The Chronos doesn't run a windowing system like X11, both the video feed and the Qt GUI are directly rendered to the frambuffer in this case.
  • We're a few weeks out from another release that should contain trigger config settings on the webpage that should work for most users' needs. Do you mind me asking what your triggering requirements are like for your setup?
  • For the time being, the best way to handle remote triggering would be with your own calls to our Python API here: https://github.com/krontech/pychronos#io-group (while also acknowledging that it takes some time and effort to work with our API)

Thank you for your reply. Our triggering setup is a plain 50/50 pre/post trigger. I was just using the trigger setup as an example for settings that are not yet in the webpage.

Another detail in the webpage that could be fixed: The framerate is shown as an integer, while in the camera GUI one decimal place is shown. For scientific uses like synchronising video frames to oscillograms it is important to know the interframe time precisely.