Author Topic: LabVIEW  (Read 13348 times)

ExlerElektronik

• View Profile
LabVIEW
« on: January 09, 2021, 08:22:55 AM »
I've got an Chronos 2.1 (color version) and want to start a discussion of LabVIEW users here.

Some words about myself: I'm developing automated test equipment and using LabVIEW for more than 25 years now. The camera will go to a test for product reliability, a kind of fall tower to do crash tests to test product's mechanical robustness. Unfortunately I will not have access to the camera once the product is delivered to the end user.

So far I started to build a library to control the Camera in LabVIEW starting with a rework of Krontech's example. I’m working on a more complete LabVIEW library to control the camera and view records taken. At the moment the following functions are implemented

* read and write almost anything to/from the camera (including parsing the JSON structures to extract results).
* The most interesting functions in the API have been packed into VI’s with a nice interface for easy use.
* I’ve also done functions to directly access and view video or individual frames from files taken as RAW (12 Bit, 16 Bit) and DNG including bayer pattern interpolation, color matrix, ... to show the video in LabVIEW.

Any users out there using LabVIEW which would share their experience?

SergeyKashin

Re: LabVIEW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »
Hi, so far we only see text on the forum. You can show some video or photo. What + for the forum from this information is not clear, you will share this with us or why you voiced it all

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:41 PM »
Hi, so far we only see text on the forum. You can show some video or photo. What + for the forum from this information is not clear, you will share this with us or why you voiced it all

Sorry to interrupt you once again, but this reply just seems pretty rude, unless i interpret it completely wrong (Honestly having some trouble understanding what you are even trying to say, because of rather rough grammar).
 This new forum user just asked if there is any further information or experience from people who use that software or similar applications (if there are any). That is an Very reasonable thing to do, i would say.
 As his Usecase is pretty clearly something along with System integration / Automation / Industry / Automotive Crash-Testing / Science&Research from the information he shared so far, i assume image Quality in an Cinematic sense Wouldnt be first priority here.
 So Sharing an image or even Video (as in Footage from the Actuall Camera itself) wouldnt do much in this case or might even be confidential depending on the exact usecase, also he said he wont even have access to the cameras when they will be in operation. If you are Actually interrested in Images or Videos (like Screenshots from the Software and such) about this, do a Google Search for "LabVIEW", and you will find plenty of Images which would be pretty confusing to look at for anybody who is not familliar with this (or simmilar) Software. He shared plenty of information about what his libary does and how he built it, i would assume (since i am not fammiliar with this software myself) that this would say way more than any image in this case.
 I hope this answers your Question about why he Wrote this, and about the images.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:15:08 AM by Nikon1 »

ExlerElektronik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:11:35 AM »
NOTE LabVIEW is a scientific programming language used in R&D with a focus on data ackquisition and processing. It is used to program your own algorithms (with a lot of standard functions including image processing provided depending on the extensions you're using) it is not a tool for image processing like the adobe photoshop and similar!

First things I want to share below. You will need LabVIEW 2019 or above to run this VI's (if anyone needs a version saved for an older release of LabVIEW post a note here).

• exampleExler is the LabVIEW example provided by Krontech reworked to have some better programming style, e.g. using an event driven user interface instead of parallel loops, ...
  • getScreenshotJPEG reads the live preview as JPEG file. By default it saves a file "chronos.jpg" to the system's temporary folder
  • getScreenshotPicture using the above to display a small preview image withing LabVIEW. The size of the image could be scaled as required.

For all examples the default IP address is the one the camera will get connected over USB using the RNDIS driver.

mostafa

• Krontech Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 03:45:03 PM »
Thank you ExlerElektronik for sharing your examples here!

We appreciate you creating this thread, as more users are incorporating LabVIEW software with their Chronos camera applications.

Feel free to share your feedback, questions, or concerns about LabVIEW here or reach out to our team through [email protected] :)

lwaters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:56:18 AM »
NOTE LabVIEW is a scientific programming language used in R&D with a focus on data ackquisition and processing. It is used to program your own algorithms (with a lot of standard functions including image processing provided depending on the extensions you're using) it is not a tool for image processing like the adobe photoshop and similar!

First things I want to share below. You will need LabVIEW 2019 or above to run this VI's (if anyone needs a version saved for an older release of LabVIEW post a note here).

• exampleExler is the LabVIEW example provided by Krontech reworked to have some better programming style, e.g. using an event driven user interface instead of parallel loops, ...
  • getScreenshotJPEG reads the live preview as JPEG file. By default it saves a file "chronos.jpg" to the system's temporary folder
  • getScreenshotPicture using the above to display a small preview image withing LabVIEW. The size of the image could be scaled as required.

For all examples the default IP address is the one the camera will get connected over USB using the RNDIS driver.

Do you have anything for LABVIEW 2009?

Thank you!

ExlerElektronik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 03:12:14 AM »
Hello Icombs,
I've exported my simple examples from above to LabVIEW 9. There have been some warnings, so I can't guarantee they are working. Some serious things might have changed in LabVIEW's libraries and capabilitits since version 9.

NOTE: In between I have improved my getScreenshotPicture.vi to use Windows API calls to avoid saving the received data to an intermediate file. In newer LabVIEW versions my VI detects the operating system and uses Windows API if possible, intermediate file save else. I have attached two seperate versions of the getScreenshotPicture in this ZIP.

Hope it works!

ExlerElektronik

• View Profile
LabVIEW Image Viewer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:06:00 AM »
I've done s simple set of functions to load and view images recorded at the camera in LabVIEW (2019 or above)
Load and run TestImageView.vi (top level) to interactively display frames captured by color Chronos cameras.

Implementation remarks
The functions have been written to allow image preview within a LabVIEW application.
At the moment Bayer pattern processing is done in a very simple way.
I expect a lot of speed improvement is possible optimizing for file format.
Color mangagement will require further improvements. All types of RAW files show some color mismatch. View ColorCompare.png to compare.

General notes
Functions are provided "as is". Feel free to use, modify and include in your own project.
Testing has been done with a Chronos 2.1 color camera.
If you find errors with other model(s), let me know.
You can send notes or ideas to improve to [email protected].
As the camera is part of a larger project and finally goes to the end user I might not be able to give support afterwards.

File format specific instructions
  • TIFF 8 Bit
    no post processing required
  • DNG, TIFF RAW
    use ColorMatrix, Clip, Gamma, adjust gain to max about 1.0
  • RAW12 and RAW16
    set imageWidth, imageHeight and BitsPerSample
    select individual frame: set StripOffsets to frame number
    use ColorMatrix, Clip, Gamma, adjust gain to max about 1.0