Author Topic: raw video data  (Read 18290 times)

tretee

• View Profile
raw video data
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:10:47 AM »
Now that the reminder of the Kickstarter cameras are shipped. Do you have an approximate estimate when we will be able to retrieve raw data from the camera? Not via SD card but some connection to a PC. Preferably Ethernet. 
If the SDK is released I don't mind writing the function myself. Any rough estimate on the SDK? No commitment expected but an indication like 3, 6 or 18 months?

jasonfish

• View Profile
Re: raw video data
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Now that the remainder of the Kickstarter cameras are shipped.

Do you know something we don't? ;)

AimedResearch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
tretee must be going off the FAQ page which still says the orders will be shipped end of August.  Its obviously the end of August but most of us know that there is a two-ish week delay.

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »
I just got my camera today.
But I do know RAW is in the works.
There is no current date for it yet. 

oakwhiz

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »
RAW is in the works, and we have remote RAM saving via network on our "want" list already.
Note that the Gigabit Ethernet interface is not fast enough to handle the camera's live data, it would need to be buffered and slowly downloaded.

tretee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:17:54 AM »
The buffered and slowly downloaded is expected and exactly what I am looking for.
Some kind of API over ETH to control the camera would be great as well.
In my case I need to start/stop recording continuously. It's only in some rare cases that I want the raw video.

The way it works now were I have to press the "OK" button on the "unsaved warning" for every start makes sense for most I guess but it's very annoying for my use case.
Hopefully that will be doable over the ETH as well. 

Loial

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
Raw saving of files is now available in the newest beta software. It will only save to SD/USB/SATA drives but you can download the saved video to a computer using the USB-OTG port by scp'ing from the camera. On the latest update USB should give you a network interface and you can log in using root with no password. The file location is listed under the save setting dialog.

An API to control the camera, stream video and get video directly without going through saving it to local media is in the works but still a ways off. There are some major changes needed for the camera application itself before that becomes available. It is quite high on our priorities once we get the major bugs worked out.

Caspita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
Hello. I also use the camera in a research environment and normally analyse high speed camera pictures (in TIFF or Jpg or bmp) in Matlab. I have tried various saving options in this camera but none seems to have high enough resolution to be of any use in my contour-detection code. I see the fuzzy object boundaries, which I think is down to compression. Can anybody please suggest appropriate saving options to reduce compression? Thanks a lot! I have the colour version. 

Loial

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »
Hello. I also use the camera in a research environment and normally analyse high speed camera pictures (in TIFF or Jpg or bmp) in Matlab. I have tried various saving options in this camera but none seems to have high enough resolution to be of any use in my contour-detection code. I see the fuzzy object boundaries, which I think is down to compression. Can anybody please suggest appropriate saving options to reduce compression? Thanks a lot! I have the colour version. 

Sorry about the late response.

The raw formats don't have any compression applied. They're currently not packed as TIFFs(DNGs) but it's in the works to do so.

ExlerElektronik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 01:04:02 AM »
Anyone interested in accessing all except MP4 files recorded by the Chronos cameras might take a look at the Matlab/Octave code I have posted here:

https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=618.0