Author Topic: Chronos 2.1 lenses  (Read 30637 times)

hydraulicpresschannel

• View Profile
Re: Chronos 2.1 lenses
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »
The sigma 50-100 f1.8 is 1.5kg and it seems to be just fine. Only problem is that the tiny adapter thing before the c -> to Nikon adapter gets really tight to Nikon adapter and you have to use somekind of pliers to get it free  ;D But the 50-100 mm lens has already thread for tripod on the lens it self so it's bit more balanced when mounted from there.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 01:43:47 PM »
Sorry, Links seem to have merged together in the Above post from me, and i somehow also cant modify change the Post.If you want to look at the Links, just Remove the dots, which are too much, and whatever also merged into it.The Links to the Heavy Lenses are three Links, which now somehow merged into one big mess, even though i left two lines empty between each link.Also the Text is not very readable, because everything now is just without all the empty lines i put into it...

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
The sigma 50-100 f1.8 is 1.5kg and it seems to be just fine. Only problem is that the tiny adapter thing before the c -> to Nikon adapter gets really tight to Nikon adapter and you have to use somekind of pliers to get it free  ;D But the 50-100 mm lens has already thread for tripod on the lens it self so it's bit more balanced when mounted from there.
What you got with the Camera are the cheap Aluminium 5mm-C-Mount Spacers. There are Higher Quality ones made from Stainless steel, but those are rather rare, more expensive and hard to find. Those are also made with better Tollerances, so they wont "bite" so badly into the other things Screwd onto it..And Yeah, as i said, if it has an Tripod mount, i would highly reccomend using it. The 50-100 sigma is really a Fat Lens. Nice to hear that you also got that now  ;) .I expect some cinematic Footage incomming then.

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 07:04:48 AM »
Okay, okay thank you!
I think those stories are prove enough :)

SergeyKashin

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »
so I bought a Sigma 18-35 Nikon lens. And I ran into a problem, the standard adapter that comes with the camera does not allow me to focus to infinity at 18mm, but at 35mm I can focus to infinity. When installing the ring that comes with the kit at 18mm I also can't focus to infinity and now at 35mm I can't focus to infinity either

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 06:56:04 AM »
so I bought a Sigma 18-35 Nikon lens. And I ran into a problem, the standard adapter that comes with the camera does not allow me to focus to infinity at 18mm, but at 35mm I can focus to infinity. When installing the ring that comes with the kit at 18mm I also can't focus to infinity and now at 35mm I can't focus to infinity either
Try adjusting the backfocus of the Chronos, there are tutorials available on the website.
 If you cant set focus to infinity, the Backfocus distance is to long, you need to Screw the Silver Mount part in further into the Camera to make it shorter.
 Adjust slowly untill focus on infinity is possible for both Zoom Setting, then your Backfocus should be set propperly.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »
Dont mind me, just leaving this image of an Old DLP Projection Lens on a Speedbooster mounted to my 2.1 here... (its actually a pretty good lens). Feel free to also post images of your (weird) lenses/ Setups.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:04:08 AM by Nikon1 »

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
It's a 1.4, but how about a microscope mount?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »
Also, while we are here, has anyone yet tried to build a Tilt-Shift Adapter for any SLR-Lenses? Was thinking about something like this since way bevore i even ordered mine, but untill now never got around to do it (and propably also wont do it in near future). But it should be easily possible to build an adapter like this, since The Flange Distance of the Chronos is THAT short, lot of room for an fancy adapter like that. Also sensor is only 4/3", so Image Circle of Full-Frame Lenses is big enough for quite a bit of movements. Also pretty sure someone will be able to make one on an 3D-Printer if they wanted to, not that difficult to do, if you know what to do, or even Cardboard and Glue, if you are patient enough....

Fritzhs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »
Could people please list some lens they use that don't vignette with the 2.1    Especially Canon mount or C mount type that might be available on ebay.  TIA.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 02:02:00 AM »
Could people please list some lens they use that don't vignette with the 2.1    Especially Canon mount or C mount type that might be available on ebay.  TIA.

I'm just buying old Nikon lenses. There are loads available on eBay (I even got one really cheap cos the autofocus was broken!).

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 03:37:32 AM »

I owned quite a bunch of lenses and got to play with loads more. And from my experience, almost all Lenses With an Focal Lenght shorter than 50mm in terms Of C-Mount lenses Will Show Vignetting on the Really Large Chronos Sensor. Also in General stay away from C-Mount Zooms for use on the 2.1 (there are some Zooms that will work well on the 1.4 but since you ask about vignette, i assume you want to use it on the 2.1 at full Resolution...), they will all vignett, some of them Really badly. Lenses of 50mm and longer Longer are usually good to use on bigger Sensors, like the Chronos one, and there are also a bunch of 25mm C-Mount Lenses that will show only little Vignett on the 2.1. Stuff like 16mm focal Lenght C-Mounts usualy show pretty heavy vignetting, and there are a few lenses that are even wider than that, but its rare to find some, that will propperly cover such a large sensor.
 C-Mount Lenses can work well for you, but For a sensor like this, especialy if you are after Image Quality for cheap, i would look after broken Bigger Format lenses (if you are able to fix them or know whatever is broken wont matter for your use on the 2.1), totally agree with chrissie_c on that question.
 I myself got an Sigma AF 24-70mm 2.8; an Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm 2.8; an 100-500 Lens of a brand i cant remember right now, its pretty decent; an 0,64x Metabones Speedbooster and an Teleconverter for less than 350€ for all of it. They where all bought from different sellers and i had to do quite a bit of Lens hunting over the term of half a year to find those as cheap, but they are Really worth it and Image Quality is on point for those. All of those where broken to some degree, the Sigma one was literally broken in half (put some work into it and got it working again), thats why i got them so cheap. That is for Nikon Mount however, i dont know about the Canon Lenses, could lead to some Problems with the Apperture Control with broken Lenses. Great thing about The Nikon Glass is that almost everything can be done without the Electronics inside, so easier repair.
 I personally still use my C-Mount glass like 60-70% of the Time on the Chronos, just because i got way more (and better) lenses for C-Mount right now for most usecases and because they are usually just way less bulky for Macro and such.
 If you are still interrested in C-Mount lens options, it would really help if you could provide some more info about what kind of Focal Length or usecase you are approximately looking to use them for, would make Reccomendations a lot easier.

Fritzhs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 08:21:19 AM »
I'm interested in hummingbird video (and I'm sure I'll find other things to slow down). For photography I have Canon gear, and my main lens for hummingbirds is the CANON EF 100-400MM F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. My 2.1 with a Canon adapter won't be arriving til like February, so I have plenty of time to think about lens. Your help is appreciated.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
This is still some Work in Progress, but here is some Images from fitting up a Vintage made Contax-Style Rangefinder Mount to the 2.1 to finally use a bunch of old Russian Rangefinder Lenses from my Collection with the Camera. Its a crazy tight fit, as the 35mm Lens protrudes so far into the Mount, it actually will protrude into the Actual Camera body, and has a rather sizeable Rear Element, which will just ever so barely fit into there, like 1,5mm more in diameter and it would hit the Body itself. Adapter is designed to allow the maximal possible amount of Airflow for the Camera, considering the Mount still has to fit into there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:03:34 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 08:47:37 AM »
Finally finished the Rangefinder-Mount for my 2.1, here are some Images with lenses. I Skeletonized it as far as possible and removed all material that wasnt needed, where possible, to save on weight, allow for better access to the Mounting Screws for faster Mounting/ Removal of the Adapter, and to reduce the bulk generally. Final adapter assembly weight is only 119g, which is pretty good considering the original Contax mount part of the Adapter is almost completely made from Solid Brass. The Screws i use are Stainless and add another 22g. For anyone interrested in buying the Same Screws:
 https://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Stuck-Silber-M4x10mm-Gewinde-304-Edelstahl-Randel-Randelschrauben/284085269100?hash=item4224cd326c:g:NzsAAOSwCpxftLSj
 The Lenses weight ranges from 121g (the 35mm Lens) to 285g (the 135mm Lens).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:03:45 AM by Nikon1 »