Author Topic: Post Chronos 2.1 clips here!  (Read 128819 times)

mklinger

• View Profile
Re: Post Chronos 2.1 clips here!
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2021, 12:22:06 PM »
Here is my first attempt at filming birds with the Chronos 2.1.

https://youtu.be/LMwjMFW57EE

1920x1080 at 1000 fps, 180 deg shutter
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II w/Canon 1.4x Teleconverter  (280mm @ F4)

weatherproductions

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »

weatherproductions

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2021, 01:11:59 PM »
The second Thunderstorm of the Season was absolutely awesome. Strong positive lightning with up to nearly 200.000A, sunset lightning with iluminated rain and small hail.

The two lightning videos are shot with the Chronos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeWnJ9flLyo

weatherproductions

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »

weatherproductions

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »

ChemicalForce

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2021, 02:38:28 PM »
Hey guys!

Look at the slow-mo chemical reactions on my youtube channel :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuRl8Yq6SxY - Chronos 2.1, 1920x1080 1000FPS & 800x600 4352FPS, Samyang 24mm & 100mm macro.

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2021, 01:11:06 AM »
Hey guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuRl8Yq6SxY - Chronos 2.1, 1920x1080 1000FPS & 800x600 4352FPS, Samyang 24mm & 100mm macro.

Cool video! I think you are using the V0.6 firmware. Did you notice the "pink" color of the smoke at 4352 fps?

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2021, 03:31:16 AM »
Hey guys!

Fantastic!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2021, 10:54:53 AM »
"Cards"
 Shot at 1000fps
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:01:29 AM by Nikon1 »

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »
"Cards"
 Shot at 1000fps

Nice!  Looks a bit overexposed though.  Maybe experiment about -1 to -2 stops from this to not blow the highlights.  I know it's tough with the Chronos as the dynamic range isn't great, but if you expose the highlights correctly, you can boost the mids a bit and it'll be OK.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »
"Cards"
 Shot at 1000fps

Nice!  Looks a bit overexposed though.  Maybe experiment about -1 to -2 stops from this to not blow the highlights.  I know it's tough with the Chronos as the dynamic range isn't great, but if you expose the highlights correctly, you can boost the mids a bit and it'll be OK.
I guess thats a bit up to personal Preference, i personally dont mind if some of the most extreme Highlight spots are blown out a bit, as long as the Camera handles it well. So i usually like to expose a bit brighter, than having the Image too dark and needing to boost exposure.
 At least with the Chronos, as from all the Stuff i shot, i got better results with brighter footage, Boosting the Lows or Mids usually results in a bunch of Weird Lines showing (note that this is a Fairly old shot, recorded on the 5.1 Unstable Firmware still, where the Vertical Lines where still a big problem when underexposing. Should be way less of a Problem with the 6.0 Firmware, as it gets rid of all the Lines almost completely).
 On most other Cameras i would as well stay far away from Overexposing, as they usually handle Boosting the Lows way better (unless you use crazy ISO setting and stuff...) than overexposing.
 But have to say, you are right. Didnt really notice bevore, but i think i could drop exposure like 2/3 Stops or 1 Stop on some of the Shots.
 This Clip was also a bit of a test and the First thing i edited with Resolve. Bevore i only used Adobe After Effects, and i have to say, Resolve is a Beast when it comes to Rendering DNG Footage, Worlds Faster.
 As at the Time of editing this, i didnt really know how to actually use Resolve yet however, and was mostly just playing around, all the Footage is just Droped in there, some Time-Ramping added, Music, and Rendered. So color is untouched on those, as out of Camera. After looking through the DNGs once again, some of them only look too bright and can be dropped in Exposure in Post just fine, plenty of room to spare bevore clipping; but a few of them are actually clipping on the Bright parts.

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
"Cards"
 Shot at 1000fps

I guess thats a bit up to personal Preference, i personally dont mind if some of the most extreme Highlight spots are blown out a bit, as long as the Camera handles it well. So i usually like to expose a bit brighter, than having the Image too dark and needing to boost exposure.
 At least with the Chronos, as from all the Stuff i shot, i got better results with brighter footage, Boosting the Lows or Mids usually results in a bunch of Weird Lines showing (note that this is a Fairly old shot, recorded on the 5.1 Unstable Firmware still, where the Vertical Lines where still a big problem when underexposing. Should be way less of a Problem with the 6.0 Firmware, as it gets rid of all the Lines almost completely).
 On most other Cameras i would as well stay far away from Overexposing, as they usually handle Boosting the Lows way better (unless you use crazy ISO setting and stuff...) than overexposing.
 But have to say, you are right. Didnt really notice bevore, but i think i could drop exposure like 2/3 Stops or 1 Stop on some of the Shots.
 This Clip was also a bit of a test and the First thing i edited with Resolve. Bevore i only used Adobe After Effects, and i have to say, Resolve is a Beast when it comes to Rendering DNG Footage, Worlds Faster.
 As at the Time of editing this, i didnt really know how to actually use Resolve yet however, and was mostly just playing around, all the Footage is just Droped in there, some Time-Ramping added, Music, and Rendered. So color is untouched on those, as out of Camera. After looking through the DNGs once again, some of them only look too bright and can be dropped in Exposure in Post just fine, plenty of room to spare bevore clipping; but a few of them are actually clipping on the Bright parts.

I am a HUGE fan of DaVinci Resolve Studio.  I switched from Premiere a couple years ago and haven't looked back.  I've found that the built-in noise reduction tools can help a lot with the banding of the Chronos, but like with any noise reduction, you need to be careful not to ask it to do too much or it'll destroy the detail.   You will find you'll want a very high end graphics card if you start to do a lot of effects work with it, especially if you are on a 4K timeline.  They are hard to get right now, but the RTX 3090 with 24 GB of video ram is very useful for that kind of work.

The color correction tools within Resolve are really great too.  That was what Resolve was known for before it became a complete NLE system.  If you have something like a ColorChecker video chart you can really dial in the proper colors.  Again, with the Chronos, it's not ideal because its sensor is nothing like a modern video camera in terms of color quality, but you can get pretty good results with it.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »
I just cant stand Premiere, just the Fact alone that you cant Zoom in the Viewer with the Mouseweel and a bunch of other things about it bother me so much, that i cant use it. I can see, why some People like it, if you are mainly doing actual Cut Work, as in cutting together an Hour of Short Clips for a Short Film or something, but its Certainly not for me, and what i do.
 Resolve is a weird one for me. Performance for Raw Footage and the Color Tools are just so good. Noise Reduction however is completely unuesable for me right now on my current hardware, even on 1080p. You need some Insane Hardware for it, if you want to really use it to its full potential. Crashes a lot, if i try to do some weird stuff with it. What i really hate about it, that UI color cant be Changed and UI also seems a bit stiff (i guess i am pretty spoiled from Blender and Adobe AE in terms of UI customisation, but its actually pretty bad in Resolve, even Premiere does that better...). Also dont understand, why they wont let you change Global Presets and just assume you want to work with 24fps for some Reason, and have you change that every time you open up a new project.
 I personally just like AE the Most still, even if its slower sometimes by a lot. Sure, for RAW Footage i will for sure use Resolve, but AE just feels way more stable and allows for better control for anything beyond Basic Video Editing, which Resolve lacks in some Places. Dont know, maybe i just need to get used to it a bit more, but i dont know if i will ever get over that 24fps/ lack of export Preset BS they have going on there, combined with the (for my taste) way too dark UI (at least make it High contrast then, if you for some reason lock it at that kind of dark. i just find dark text and very slim lines on Dark Background really hard to look at). Allready annoys me, bevore i even start to actually work on something. So as i said, for now i still prefer AE by quite a bit, but can see why a lot of people switch to Resolve. Especially for those who are coming from other Video Editing software. I am just used to Software that is more targeted towards Animation, and those usually allow you to set keyframes for the weirdest stuff and do basically whatever you want. I mean Resolve at least has a Node Editor, which helps a lot with that, but i still need to learn how to use it fully, as its quite a bit different from the Blender one, which i am very used to.
 We will see, maybe my opinion changes somewhat, when i use Resolve for a while or upgrade my hardware Eventually.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:27:54 PM by Nikon1 »

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »
Did some testing with my Chronos again. Made from H264 footage, filmed with 1920x1080 1000fps, 180°, 0db Gain, then processed at 60fps (unfortunately not 30 or even better 25). Sound me myself an I. Just testing...

https://vimeo.com/557276143

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »
Nice job with this clip!