Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

SSD Cage for Chronos 1.4/2.1-HD - 3D-printable

<< < (2/8) > >>

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: SergeyKashin on March 31, 2020, 03:40:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: tesla500 on March 25, 2020, 03:13:49 PM ---This is an SSD holder for the Chronos 1.4 and 2.1-HD. This accessory is invaluable when shooting DNG on the go; save speed is vastly improved compared to an SD card. The camera can write about 60MB/s to a SATA SSD instead of ~12MB/s to most SD cards. DNG saves at about 12FPS on the 2.1-HD and about 18FPS on the 1.4, at full resolution.

--- End quote ---

What is the maximum speed of the SATA connector? And in General, all the connectors through which you can write files, how can you find out their maximum recording speed? USB, SDcard.
camera 2.1

Or is it the maximum write speed of 12 MB / sec, regardless of the speed that the SD card can write

--- End quote ---
Not Quite sure, but i think its more of an internal Limit bevore you will hit the Limits of the SD-Cards or SSDs (There are sure some Pretty slow and old SD-Cards or drives that will limit Write Speed, but i am not talking about that...). At Least, if you have an reasonable fast Card or Drive, i would expect the Bottleneck to be more inside the Camera in Reading out The Data from RAM/ Compressing / Computing /Whatever happens else to the Sensor data inside the Camera.

SergeyKashin:

--- Quote from: Nikon1 on April 01, 2020, 07:23:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: tesla500 on March 25, 2020, 03:13:49 PM ---This is an SSD holder for the Chronos 1.4 and 2.1-HD. This accessory is invaluable when shooting DNG on the go; save speed is vastly improved compared to an SD card. The camera can write about 60MB/s to a SATA SSD instead of ~12MB/s to most SD cards. DNG saves at about 12FPS on the 2.1-HD and about 18FPS on the 1.4, at full resolution.

--- End quote ---

What is the maximum speed of the SATA connector? And in General, all the connectors through which you can write files, how can you find out their maximum recording speed? USB, SDcard.
camera 2.1

Or is it the maximum write speed of 12 MB / sec, regardless of the speed that the SD card can write

--- End quote ---
Not Quite sure, but i think its more of an internal Limit bevore you will hit the Limits of the SD-Cards or SSDs (There are sure some Pretty slow and old SD-Cards or drives that will limit Write Speed, but i am not talking about that...). At Least, if you have an reasonable fast Card or Drive, i would expect the Bottleneck to be more inside the Camera in Reading out The Data from RAM/ Compressing / Computing /Whatever happens else to the Sensor data inside the Camera.

--- End quote ---

My SDcard 95mb and 300mb

foobar:

--- End quote ---

camera 2.1

--- End quote ---

According to the SD card specs, we should theoretically be able to achieve 24MB/s on the Chronos 1.4/2.1, but in practice I have never seen any card exceed 10MB/s.

The vendor for our CPU quotes an ideal throughput of a little over 100MB/s for the write speed of the SATA port, but when dealing with filesystem access patterns and overhead we are more likely to see the performance of the SATA interface top out at a little closer to 60MB/s.

Martin:
Hi,

I did some tests a while ago:

http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=442.msg2307#msg2307

I guess SATA speeds with very fast random access SSD drives will be even better performing!

All the best
M.

NiNeff:
I finally found the time to also print this SSD holder. I forgot to add supports for the print, but my printer handled it very well even without them.
I did some very quick tests an the SSD is about twice as fast as the SD card when saving DNG files, MP4 is about the same. Currently I have it formatted to FAT32, maybe I'll "upgrade" the filesystem to EXT3 or even EXT4 and see how it does then.
However reading EXT formatted Devices from Windows sucks :D

EDIT: I just saw the mounting-holes for the m2x10 screws, what are they for? As far as I can tell the holder works perfectly fine without those screws in there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version