Author Topic: SSD Cage for Chronos 1.4/2.1-HD - 3D-printable  (Read 15230 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: SSD Cage for Chronos 1.4/2.1-HD - 3D-printable
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 05:57:43 AM »
The question remains whether a M2 (not NVME) would result in better speeds...
as long as the SSD and M.2 SSD are both connected to the Sata-Port on the Camera i would say no or not much better speed, as it seems like the bottleneck for the Data would mostly to be the Interface itself, not the Drives (unless you have a very, very cheap (like Very sketchy Online Seller from China levels of Cheap) or generally pretty slow SSD). but only testing would tell, if that is actually the Case. If the SSD is somewhat recent and reasonable Quality, my guess would be no.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »
I also think you are limited by the USB ports data capability. As far as I'm aware, the Chronos uses a USB 2.0 port combined with an eSATA Port. If at all possible, use the eSATA connection which is much faster than the USB one.q

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
Well, another batch of tests here.

I bought a NVME SSD, so the cheap adapter linked above would not work. Opted to sell this SSD and buy a new one...

Opted for a regular sized 2.5" SSD.

Got much better speeds with this new setup, using simpler (cheaper) parts, tested only Raw 16 bit export and got 13 fps, not the 18 fps stated above, but I can test EXT3 file system and other types of exports to check speeds... Anyway, happy with the results for now.

The question remains whether a M2 (not NVME) would result in better speeds...

DNG saves at about 12FPS on the 2.1-HD and about 18FPS on the 1.4, at full resolution.

Well, i just read that again, and tesla500 states 12fps for the 2.1 at full res. The 18fps you are thinking about where actually for the 1.4 Save-Speeds.
 So, with 13fps you are allready better than what he said.
 I finally got myself an m.2 with an Adapter (also first got an NVME one, which wont work with the Cheap Adapters, needs to be an NGFF M.2 ...) and i am getting around 10fps Average for DNG; a bit over 10fps (like 10,5 average) for Raw16; about 13fps Average for Raw12; and 25fps Average for H.264 (full Resolution Saves on the 2.1)

muringuets

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 05:14:57 AM »

Well, i just read that again, and tesla500 states 12fps for the 2.1 at full res. The 18fps you are thinking about where actually for the 1.4 Save-Speeds.
 So, with 13fps you are allready better than what he said.
 I finally got myself an m.2 with an Adapter (also first got an NVME one, which wont work with the Cheap Adapters, needs to be an NGFF M.2 ...) and i am getting around 10fps Average for DNG; a bit over 10fps (like 10,5 average) for Raw16; about 13fps Average for Raw12; and 25fps Average for H.264 (full Resolution Saves on the 2.1)

Sorry, I have a 1.4 camera... After exporting longer files I managed to get 18 fps, so everything seems to be working after all...

abellay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 02:59:29 PM »
The export process can take a long time for a variety of reasons. Generally speaking, long projects will take a long time to export.