Author Topic: Accessories! (User designed ones)  (Read 10003 times)

Electra

• View Profile
Accessories! (User designed ones)
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:42:17 AM »
Keep forgetting to put this up.
A week or two ago I made a laser cut 'splash shield' for the camera.  It's made from 3mm acrylic and is designed to protect both the ports on the side, exposing only power and trigger but mostly to keep water out of the front intake vents.  Air is drawn in through the bottom on the left and exhaust it through the top and right.
It was made to be used on a tripod, not sitting directly on a flat surface. And I'm assured that it won't block airflow to any amount that matters.

The idea was just to stop casual splashing, for example, using the camera near a swimming pool, throwing rocks in buckets, waterballons and other places where flying droplets and small splashes are involved. It's not to protect the lens, just stop water from being pulled into the camera by the fan and keep dust out of the side ports.

Everything mounts with 6, M4 bolts/screws/whatever you wish.. If you countersink the holes you can make for quite a clean install. If your extra worried, put some tape over the top between the acrylic and camera, as well as over the SD card slot and microphone(Or even over everything).  The hole in the center is 40mm by about 12mm deep) and fits at least the standard Prime lens and even larger ones I have.  The flatter one should give more clearance. Or you can make the 40mm hole a bit larger on the top plate, up to, say, 45mm or so(Just enough to overlap with the lower mounts).
The side plate is the only tricky bit, it's mirrored amd made to be cut from the back with the two audio ports 1.5mm deep engraves rather than full cuts.

I have other versions that include only the port guard and  just the splash guard that fits tighter to the front(Has only 1 instead of 2 stand-offs and don't use the side connections) that if interested I can post too.  Or even the original .svg with all the messy work. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:56:01 PM by Electra »

PaulBryanTV

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Accessories! (User designed ones)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
Keep forgetting to put this up.
A week or two ago made a laser cut 'splash shield' for the camera.  It's made from 3mm acrylic and is designed to protect both the ports on the side, exposing only power and trigger but mostly to keep water out of the front intake vents.  Air is drawn in through the bottom on the left and exhaust it through the top and right.
It was made to be used on a tripod, not sitting directly on a flat surface. And I'm assured that it won't block airflow to any amount that matters.

The idea was just to stop casual splashing, for example, using the camera near a swimming pool, throwing rocks in buckets, waterballons and other places where flying droplets and small splashes are involved. It's not to protect the lens, just stop water from being pulled into the camera by the fan and keep dust out of the side ports.

Everything mounts with 6, m6 bolts/screws/whatever you wish.. If you countersink the holes you can make for quite a clean install. If your extra worried, put some tape over the top between the acrylic and camera, as well as over the SD card slot and microphone(Or even over everything).  The hole in the center is 40mm by about 12mm deep) and fits at least the standard Prime lens and even larger ones I have.  The flatter one should give more clearance. Or you can make the 40mm hole a bit larger on the top plate, up to, say, 45mm or so(Just enough to overlap with the lower mounts).
The side plate is the only tricky bits, it's mirrored, made to be cut from below with the two audio ports 1.5mm deep engraves done from the back rather than full cuts.

I have other versions that include only the port guard and  just the splash guard that fits tighter to the front(Has only 1 instead of 2 stand-offs and don't use the side connections) that if interested I can post too.  Or even the original .svg with all the messy work. :)

As someone whos primary videos are destructive and typically messy, this would be AWESOME for me.
Mind PM'ing me?

Blaid_Strae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »
Wow, very nice! I just received my order and was just thinking about shielding. I'd be interested in seeing any designs you, or others have been tinkering with!

I'm thinking about getting into 3d printing and a simple shield would be a good starting project.

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »
I have no interest in producing these for anyone, before anyone asks. Your local hacker/makerspaces/fablabs will have them.. Plus I'm quite OK with krontech offering them, changing my design or even making whole new ones that are far better based on the idea.
Blaid_Strae, on krontech's download page is the 3d models. I went with clear acrylic as I like the look(I didn't include some structures just so you can see the text on the camera's front:) and that was the machine I had better access to at the time, however a 3d printed cover based on the same idea that has a baffle down the center, cone shape that fits over the lens mount and is better designed that how I've done it and fits the camera's curves perfectly would be a less pretty but far superior design.