Author Topic: Chronos 2.1 max operating temperature?  (Read 10665 times)

saichner

• View Profile
Chronos 2.1 max operating temperature?
« on: May 02, 2020, 07:09:34 PM »
What is the max operating temperature for the 2.1?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: Chronos 2.1 max operating temperature?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:01 PM »
I would recommend a maximum ambient temperature of 40C. You can check the internal temperature on the About tab in the Util window, as long as the System and Image Sensor temperatures stay under about 70C you should be fine.

The camera has over-temperature protection, it will simply turn off if it gets too hot, but the image quality will degrade slightly while it's hot. The warmer the sensor, the higher the image noise. This isn't permanent, it will go back to normal when it cools down.

David

saichner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »
Thank you 🙏

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
I would recommend a maximum ambient temperature of 40C. You can check the internal temperature on the About tab in the Util window, as long as the System and Image Sensor temperatures stay under about 70C you should be fine.

The camera has over-temperature protection, it will simply turn off if it gets too hot, but the image quality will degrade slightly while it's hot. The warmer the sensor, the higher the image noise. This isn't permanent, it will go back to normal when it cools down.

David
Hi, what is the temperature at which the Camera actually will turn off (Sensor/System Temerature Reading, i am Trying to do some Noise Testing at various Temperatures, 100°C?)?
 Also, how much power-Draw can the Internal Fan Controler Handle? Trying to fit an 40x40x28mm Server Fan, that will Draw 0,4A @12V. Is it save to connect that Fan for Temperature Testing Purposes, or will it possibly damage anything on the Mainboard from the higher Power draw?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 06:33:30 AM »
Regards the Cooling Solution there will be News hopefully soon, regards the Power Limitations on the Internal Plug for the Fan I still got no Answer or Clue where The Limit actually is?

ivandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 10:05:13 PM »
Possibly some portable freezers for sale, custom portable air cooling (mini air conditioning)
Is there any information about this?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 04:13:57 PM »
@ivandan:
 I dont quite understand, what you are trying to do?
 Is your Camera overheating or what is the Problem?
 I personally am trying to figure out, what the Maximum and Minimum Safe Operating Temperature of the Sensor is, without causing damage; to set Limits for Testing the Widest possible Range of Temperature with a custom Cooling/heating Solution on the Sensor, to find out where it perfoms best in terms of Sensitivity, Dynamic Range, Noise and such.
 Already did a much simpler Test Earlier on the Forum, but next test should be in a way more controlled Environment and actually reproducible Results.
 If you for whatever Reason want to just cool the Camera down, yes, a Mobile AC unit / Standalone Mini AC Unit will work. Just blow the Cold Air onto / Into the Chronos, that will cool it down quite a bit.

CavOkay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:23 AM »
Hello Dear All,

Yes ideally we could have a robust solution to cool down and stabilise the sensor temperature to a bit lower temperature than the fan only can achieve, for now the fan blower only is designed to do all the cooling, but that is of course not top optimal.

Best of world would be a cooling device to lower the sensor temperature, namely a Peltier.
Astrophoto cameras use this cooling system, with a sensor in an Argon dry gas filled low pressurised chamber.
with this kind of device, you can cool down the sensor to -50°C below the ambiant air or even lower, to achieve very low sensor noises.

Unfortunately, our Chronos sensor here has not the same very low base level of noise that an astro camera require.
Probably Chronos Sensor in his specs is not designed to best work in too cold temperatures.

Adding a Peltier MOD that will be safe, will be a hard job, if not even impossible, without a big mod of the camera case. Furthermore, you we have to be EXTRA-Careful of one big Drawback of sensor Cooling :

And this is CONDENSATION ! if the ambient air is too wet, (hygrometry high) the much lower sensor temp, with not enough wind to prevent the air damp condensation will surely let water droplets and humidity inside the electronics and will have the issues you can imagine.

A Peltier is a power hungry device too, so you will need to provide extra power.
That would be a really interesting experiment, but, you know, the Chronos is an expensive jewel and unless you have really good engineering and craft skills / 3D tools, this adventure might be too much and risky to try.

Same thing, if you have your Chronos cooled down with a portable air conditionner exhaust, the WARNING is  : Be careful in really Wet and hot Ambiant air conditions, that might build-up some condensation into the sensor or electronics.

Just my 2 cent worth  ;)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 07:04:48 AM »
I am literally doing just that. currently Modding to be able to mount a Peltier AND a Heater to the Sensor, so i can test the widest possible range of Temperature.
 I am aware of the Condensation issue, and prepared to deal with that.
 And no, i am not afraid to take some Risks with this Project, see my earlier work on a proof-of-concept (Which was not effective enough) Watercooler:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=608.0
 As well as the Current Project of extending all internal Connections, to fit Long Spacers between the two halfs of the Camera Housing, to be able to fit the Peltier and an Modified Cooler:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zUavp2P5Kw

ivandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 10:41:47 AM »
@ivandan:
 I dont quite understand, what you are trying to do?
 Is your Camera overheating or what is the Problem?
 I personally am trying to figure out, what the Maximum and Minimum Safe Operating Temperature of the Sensor is, without causing damage; to set Limits for Testing the Widest possible Range of Temperature with a custom Cooling/heating Solution on the Sensor, to find out where it perfoms best in terms of Sensitivity, Dynamic Range, Noise and such.
 Already did a much simpler Test Earlier on the Forum, but next test should be in a way more controlled Environment and actually reproducible Results.
 If you for whatever Reason want to just cool the Camera down, yes, a Mobile AC unit / Standalone Mini AC Unit will work. Just blow the Cold Air onto / Into the Chronos, that will cool it down quite a bit.
I'm worried about the noise and the need to calibrate before every shot. Already after 30 seconds of camera downtime, I see an increase in noise.

CavOkay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »

I'm worried about the noise and the need to calibrate before every shot. Already after 30 seconds of camera downtime, I see an increase in noise.

you mean after camera uptime :)

yes soon as the temperature goes up, the sensor noise increase, so rule of thumb is do your calibration at a stabilised temperature,  common working sensor temperature,  and the calibration process shall do its best to remove the noise, i guess with dark frame substraction, column gain adjustment, whatsoever is the magic underlying  :)
 just like we do in astrophotography and image stacking

CavOkay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 11:19:53 AM »
I am literally doing just that. currently Modding to be able to mount a Peltier AND a Heater to the Sensor, so i can test the widest possible range of Temperature.
 And no, i am not afraid to take some Risks with this Project, see my earlier work on a proof-of-concept (Which was not effective enough) Watercooler:
 As well as the Current Project of extending all internal Connections, to fit Long Spacers between the two halfs of the Camera Housing, to be able to fit the Peltier and an Modified Cooler:

Sounds very promising ! i will dig into the details of your project ... when I go time  Thanks !

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 01:47:53 PM »
@ivandan:
 For best Results it is recommended to start the Camera (boot), do a Black Calibration, then let the Camera run for ~30 Minutes to get to a Stable Temperature, then do another Black Calibration; and then you are Ready to shoot. for all Further Shooting, do another Black Calibration at least every hour, better every 30 Minutes.
 Of course Environment Temperature Changes influence the Camera and Sensor Temperature a lot, so that should ideally be fairly Stable.
 Does however not always work like this in the real world, especially outside, and when you are on the go, Shooting Fast Run-and-Gun Style Stuff.
 But i guess a Mobile AC unit would not be Practical for that kind of Scenario as well. That would maybe work in a Studio-Setting, but the Question is how well.
 If you end up experimenting with Cooling, i can Highly recommend to flash a new Firmware on a Separate, New MicroSD Card, and Run Through the Initial Calibration Process AT THAT TEMPERATURE you are later trying to use the Camera at.
 Not only does the Noise and overall Image Change a lot when the Sensor Heats up after start, it also does even Worse things, if you Suddenly Drop the Temperature of the Camera fast.
 So if Calibrated for Hot Sensor, and you end up Using it Cool, that will also Lead to Less than ideal Results.

andree23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 12:26:16 AM »
ovo game And no, i am not afraid to take some Risks with this Project, see my earlier work on a proof-of-concept (Which was not effective enough) Watercooler:
Your project sounds pretty interesting, i'll try to figure it out.