Author Topic: Videos saved but gone  (Read 9450 times)

clkdiv

• View Profile
Videos saved but gone
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
Hello,

today I recorded some clips to a SSD connected via esatap. I saved as cinemadng. Now the camera seemed to save normally, I saw the frames being counted while saving.

When home again, none of the clips could be found on the disk. I recorded something again, as a test, and now the clip was saved.

Now I wonder how this might happen. Could it be, that the harddisk-handle had been lost after the camera has been booted? And could it be that the frames had been written into nirwana?

With regards to this: There was an announcement that it would be possible in future releases to review already recorded clips within the new GUI. When will this might become true, any guesses? Thanks!

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
Re: Videos saved but gone
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:50:24 AM »
Hi clkdiv,

Sorry for any inconvenience that may have caused. Do you remember approximately how many frames you had attempted to save?

I have a similar thought about it as you do.. Clicking "Safely Remove" in Play->Settings would have made the proper calls to the OS to first flush any pending buffers to disk before removal. While the chances of a save not occurring without first doing this are slim, it is still a possibility.

We do still have the recorded clip review screen in our software engineering task backlog, but I anticipate it to be a fairly lengthy undertaking to implement into the video system, so I can't promise a timeline for now.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
Hello and thanks for the answer. I understand it takes time to implement the "replay" function, but in the new GUI there already is this listbox that will show the files on the media, right? For now it would be great if this listbox at least could show the content of the media, just the list of files, so one could see, if anything has changed. I am now working with the cam with esatap and everything is fine, nevertheless it would be great to have such fundamental optical reassurance... It should be easy to implement such "files on device"-list, no?

Thanks, Martin 

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:01:26 AM »
Hey Martin,

I had thought of a few things to check here, just to cover all bases.

• Does your eSATA device have multiple partitions on it? If you selected a different partition than expected when selecting the storage device, the file may not be where you expect. If this other partition is something your PC's OS can't see (Like EXT3 from Windows), this other partition may not show up.
  • It is theoretically possible that, due to a bug, the files got saved onto the camera's OS card (microSD in the bottom of the camera), although this shouldn't be allowed by the user interface and underlying API. You could check to see if the files are on the OS card. You'd need to check both the FAT32 and EXT3 partitions that are present on this card.
  • [The d'Oh! one...]Was there any other save media inserted, such as an SD card? Could the files be on that media?

In addition to the file browser, another safety check that could be relatively easily added is to have the API check that the file was successfully written and is a reasonable size, and throw a warning if something doesn't seem right.

David
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:04:00 AM by tesla500 »

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:08:38 PM »
Hello David,

actually I really both had an SD card and a SSD disk connected, but I checked both. ALso, the fact that the files were written with 12fps as cinemadng seems a hint that it was the SSD. It has only one partition. Since it was a real test with no serious data I don't care for the lost files, but I think sort of safety check really would be nice!

Best regards! Martin.

allgona

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »
I ran into a similar problem today using an SD card. I think the issue was that I inadvertently had a "\" in the file name - what I assume is an unacceptable character. My story is the same, the camera acted like it saved normally, didn't throw a warning, and I didn't realize my mistake until I put the card into my computer and realized the file wasn't there. If there were a confirmation that the file saved, or a way to show files in the current folder, it would be very useful in my opinion. Thanks!

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 07:23:54 AM »
I ran into a similar problem today using an SD card. I think the issue was that I inadvertently had a "\" in the file name - what I assume is an unacceptable character. My story is the same, the camera acted like it saved normally, didn't throw a warning, and I didn't realize my mistake until I put the card into my computer and realized the file wasn't there. If there were a confirmation that the file saved, or a way to show files in the current folder, it would be very useful in my opinion. Thanks!
The file might still be there and recoverable using any system other than windows to look for it. If you don't want to install Linux or don't have a MAC use a live System booted from USB.

allgona

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 11:07:39 PM »
That was a good thought. I tried from Live Boot running Ubuntu, but still couldn't find the lost video files. Thanks though!

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Hello again. During the last days I had two times where all shots from a day seemed to be lost again. I am using a SSD connected to the eSata port to save the DNG files, shut down the camera with the SSD connected, then unplugged it and mounted it on a Windows 10 PC. The whole days folders weren't listed. I did a Scandisk, after that all was there. A really scary moment. Is there anything I might do wrong? Anyone else having such issue? Thanks!