Author Topic: Speed booster St Chronos 2.1  (Read 8405 times)

clkdiv

• View Profile
Speed booster St Chronos 2.1
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:17:24 AM »
Hello nice people, now that I understood what a speed booster is, I want to find out how to adapt such to a Chronos 2.1. I have a C-Mount to Canon EF adapter and want to attach my EF Sigma 24 1.8 Full frame lens. What do I have to do? I suppose I need a c-mount speed booster? I can't find such.

Thanks a lot! Martin

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Speed booster St Chronos 2.1
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
Hi there, There are no Speedboosters for C-Mount, since its a too small Mount to really do that propperly.
If you want to use any kind of Speedbooster on an Chonos Camera (2.1 or 1.4 is the Same for this), you need to either get an interchangeable mount for the Chronos Camera (to use it with an standard MFT to Canon Speedbooster), or get an Flange Mount for the Speedbooster.
 There are some People on the Forum which can build or Modify speedboosters or build adapters for the chronos including me. The Krontech team announced some time ago, that they want to offer MFT-Mounts for their Chronos Cameras at some point in their shop, but i asked them about this recently, and they still dont have any for sale. So you really need to get something custom build if you want to use an Speedbooster on the Chronos.
 I dont know where you are from, but if you are from Europa or Germany, i can make you a Mount (I wont ship to America, Asia or Russia) or give you instructions how to modify it yourself or get some local Shop to do it for you. Its not that hard to do, just needs a ton of care and some Metallworking tools and skills (Lathe or Mill and a indexing table will do, if you know how to, you could propably even get away with only using a Lathe and a Drill Press...)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:01:06 PM by Nikon1 »

SergeyKashin

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »
Wouldn't adapters of this type fit to use Canon lenses?
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32999499169.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.41953c00OxAly4&mp=1

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:02:21 AM »
Wouldn't adapters of this type fit to use Canon lenses?
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32999499169.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.41953c00OxAly4&mp=1
Sure those will fit and work, but he wants a Speedbooster. The one you linked is a "dumb" adapter which just mechanically allows you to mount canon lenses to the Chronos via C-Mount. A speedbooster will give you a lot more Light from The Same Lens, make your image Wider (Especially good for Wide Angle Shots) and Sharper. Having a Speedbooster vs. a "normal" Dumb adapter is a completely different story. Havent seen anything like a Speedbooster for Chronos for sale offically anywhere, if you know a place where one could buy one, let me know, because i see this Question a lot. For me its not a big deal, since i can just make any adapter Myself, but for other people it can be a bit tricky to get a speedbooster mounted on the Chronos cameras right now...

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:07:31 AM »
Here is the "Speed Booster White Paper" from Metabones themselfs.
The guy that does their optics owns the Patent for a lot of the Speedbooster designs and basically invented them as far as i know. That PDF is one of the Best explainations, of what a Speedbooster is and does, as far as i am aware, hope this will explain the Difference between a "Dumb" adapter and a speedbooster a bit better:
 https://www.metabones.com/assets/a/stories/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:09:12 AM by Nikon1 »

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 02:19:44 AM »
Very interesting - is it possible to use such a speedbooster with my sigma/nikkor lenses in combination with a nikon photodiox adapter?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
Very interesting - is it possible to use such a speedbooster with my sigma/nikkor lenses in combination with a nikon photodiox adapter?
You can use one with most Nikon F-Mount Lenses aswell as most Canon Mount Lenses (Some other Mounts also).
Problem is Flange Focal distance, because of that no normal adapter (which is ready for purchase right now) will work.
To help you understand the Situation with Chronos Cameras and Speedboosters here some numbers:
CS-Mount, Which is the Native mount on Chronos Cameras (also the Flange Mount with the Four Screw holes on the Front of The Camera Body) Has a Flange Focal distance of 12,526mm. That means, you need to be able to Render a sharp image at that exact point behind the Lens Mount Surface of the CS-Mount with your Lens.
Now you try to use an Nikon F-Mount Lens, for example an old 50mm f/1.2 one. That one has an Flange Distance of 46,5mm, and since that is much longer than the 12,526mm of the CS-Mount, you can just put some Spacer tube in between, which happens to have both of the needed mount on both ends (Thats basically the "dumb" Empty Tube Style adapter, just a spacer tube with mounts).
Most people use Chonos Cameras with C-Mount Lenses However, because they are just SO MUCH more Common, and you got tons of Lens-Options more. for that, you only need a 5,0mm Spacer, since C-Mount Flange Distance is 17,526mm.
BUT there are no speedboosters made for C-Mount or CS-Mount.So your best bet would be to get an MFT-Mount Speedbooster. MFT has a Flange distance of 19,25mm, and since that is still a longer Flange Distance than the one of the Chronos, you can adapt it. So, you still have about 6,7mm space to fit an adapter in there. Now because the MFT-Mount also has some Bajonet parts of the Mount itself which protrude behind the actuall Mount Surface, its pretty tight, but very possible, and i allready made it work. You basically need to build an adapter which is able to mount a MFT Lens safely and also screw on those four Screws on the Chronos body, while providing the Propper Flange distance Spacing for the Lenses to produce an Sharp image on the Sensor Surface.
 What you can also do (Since the MFT-Mount is mostly just a ring of Metal screwed onto the Speedbooster itself (Most Metabones ones), but not all offbrand ones are also built this way, so look what you got on yours), is to just replace the Actuall MFT-Mount Ring on the Speedbooster with an Spacer with Flat Surfaces and holes to take The Screws to mount on the Speedbooser Body assembly instead of the original mount and onto the Chronos Camera body. But for that Methode you need to be more Carefull and measure quite a bit to get your dimensions right.
 The Big Advantage of the "interchangeable MFT-Mount For the Chronos" Methode is, that you can also use anything else with MFT-Mount (As Long as your lens is no Focus By Wire or needs any other kind of Electronic communication with the Camera Body).
 To learn more about the C-Mount / CS-Mount Topic and the Flange-Distance Stuff, some Wiki-Links:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 07:53:12 AM »
If you have acces to an 3D-Printer, i posted a 3D-Printable File of an MFT-Mount for the Chronos quite a while ago [actually to lazy to search for that post right now or to repost]. go to my forum Profile and Look thoug my Posts and there look through the Attachments that were posted. You will find it there, its some STL-File. Just Used an MFT-Mount Lens-Cap File for an 3D-Printer i found somewhere online and added a mount Flange for the Chronos Body. it aint Pretty, but it will work if you just want to mess around a bit and see how it works. Would definatly not reccomend something like that 3D-Printable mount for Actuall daily work, because it just clamps the Lens / Speedbooster and wont really Lock it, as an Propper Adapter would, als its Plastic and Very Small, and Lenses Could get heavy, so use it with care. But for Prototyping and trying out new lens options its perfect /very Quick.

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 09:42:59 PM »
Hello, after a good talk with nikon1 I bulid my own MFT adaptor. for my 1.4. I used a 4mm aluminium plate and some parts from a MFT macro-ring. Over all costs around 35,- Euro.

It works realy well  ;D

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
Nice! Guess Mount is from an MFT-Extention Tube?