Author Topic: trigger cable for IO1 (BNC)  (Read 7964 times)

jsbusque

• View Profile
trigger cable for IO1 (BNC)
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
If I want to built my own BNC cable for the IO1 trigger. Do I just get a BNC cable (50ohm or 75) and solder a momentary push-button switch ??
Thanks

JS

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: trigger cable for IO1 (BNC)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Hi JS,

Yes. To make a trigger cable, you can use any BNC cable, impedance doesn't matter in this case. Solder a normally open switch on the end.

David

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »
After a depressing amount of research it turns out most '75 ohm' cables are actually 75 ohm coax with 50 ohm connectors. I was worried about compatibility as how the insulation and center/shield ratios are different. I believe the connector on the camera is 50 ohm specked one?

Tried using coax and while it looks like a great and makes for easy lead construction(That you can buy pre-made cables), I've found that it's typically annoyingly heavy and stiff.
Been using simple twin speaker or audio wire, picking based on feel and what I can get easily. Soldering to the BNC connector is annoying(You can get ones with terminals but they don't look as good) but the finished cable is light, portable and if I had my camera handy I'd take a photo.

I do also recommend spending the extra to find a switch with a nice positive 'click' when you push the button. It works fine with even touching wires together, but without the 'click' I've sometimes missed shots thinking I've hit the button but didn't or didn't realise I'd triggered it already.

wally_x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
I bought a cheap 75ohm bnc cable on amazon and it fit and worked fine.

I also used a normally close button in my diy trigger (just used what I had laying around and didn't see this post in time) but it works fine. I just click the invert button in the trigger control panel.