Author Topic: Wireless down/upload of footage  (Read 11877 times)

clkdiv

• View Profile
Wireless down/upload of footage
« on: June 03, 2020, 01:57:21 PM »
Hello nice people,

I'd like to download shots from a 2.1 wirelessly. My idea is to connect a small router to the Ethernet port of the camera, then map a connected folder on a PC, so data would automatically be saved to that.

Do you think this might be possible, or even better, did anyone already try such setup? Or does anyone have any suggestions or annotations to that?

Thanks a lot!

Martin

nik282000

• View Profile
Re: Wireless down/upload of footage
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:40:11 PM »
I have a self contained router with one ethernet port and WIFI, I have used it to wirelessly control the camera as well as transfer footage. The setup is identical to using a wired connection.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
Thanks a lot! Would you mind telling me brand and model of your router? To make sure I get a flawlessly working gear?

Was thinking to ask via PN, but maybe someone else wants to know...

Thank you.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 09:11:54 AM »
I am using one of these (unavailable) https://www.amazon.ca/Gigastone-Media-Streamer-Plus-Built/dp/B00NHWK01C but any wifi router will work. The only advantage to using a portable wifi router is having a self contained battery saves you from carrying an extra power cable.

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 02:20:31 PM »
Since we are now on a debian os.. will a usb wifi stick work in the usb slot of the camera?

Or down the road will can that be a option?

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
I am using one of these (unavailable) https://www.amazon.ca/Gigastone-Media-Streamer-Plus-Built/dp/B00NHWK01C but any wifi router will work. The only advantage to using a portable wifi router is having a self contained battery saves you from carrying an extra power cable.

Thank you very much!
Would you mind telling me how exactly you set up the GIGASTONE router? On camera side you are you mapping a SMB share of a folder of the computer? If so: Is the computer directly connected to the GIGASTONE router or is there another router involved at the computers side? And would you tell me: Are you saving large files, how fast is this?

I once made the network mapping work with a cheap network splitter, connecting both the camera and the computer via Ethernet. Now I bought one of these hoping to plug that into the camera and then replace/avoid the cable to the computer, so to say. But I couldn't make it work yet. I would like to use the SMB share, so the camera automatically safes to a mapped folder of a notebook. Would you suggest it should be possible with the TP-Link?

Since we are now on a debian os.. will a usb wifi stick work in the usb slot of the camera?

That would be a very elegant option, right. But I suppose one had to dig into scripts to map a folder with such device on the camera side, using PuttY or so, right?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:56:58 PM by clkdiv »

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 08:39:30 PM »
The camera is connected to the router with an ethernet cable and the PC is connected by WIFI. The setup will be the same as when you use the switch.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 04:46:07 AM »
Ok, thank you. I can't make it work with my router, however. Would you please mind telling me, how you access data on the camera? Is the camera mapping a SMB folder on the notebook?

Thanks.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 06:48:24 AM »
Yes, you set up a shared folder on your laptop/PC and the camera will save files to that folder. I believe there is a thread that goes into the setup in detail.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 01:03:45 AM »
Hello, thanks again. Finally I made it work with the 2.4Ghz TPLink adapter. If anyone else tries to go ahead with this adapter: It has to be switched to "Access Point"-Mode, not "Router", not "Client". That was my fault.

Now saving speed is like this: about 55fps with H264, so almost full speed, but CinemaDNG is just 2fps. I only needed H264, but nevertheless I will buy the 5GHz adapter and post speed results here, too.

Best!

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
Hello again! As said here is an update after changing the 2.4Ghz to a 5Ghz device. I now try the TPLink WR902. Unfortunately there is no advantage over the 2.4GHz version, still the CinemaDNG saving framerate is about 2.3 fps, while H264 as suspected still saves at maximum speed.

Does anyone have any idea, why saving DNG is so slow at all and why there is no difference between the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz devices?

Thanks! Martin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:14:16 PM by clkdiv »

坦丁

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 01:59:08 AM »
Does anyone have any idea, why saving DNG is so slow at all and why there is no difference between the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz devices?
Hi Martin,

Chronos camera has Gigabit Ethernet but you need also router with Gigabit Ethernet and then compare wireless part
WR902 has 10/100Mbps Ethernet compare to WR1043 that is about 800Mbps

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 12:48:49 PM »
Hello 坦丁,

doooooh, yes! I didn't even think about the cabled side. Sure, the WR1043 would be better, but I have the stuff hanging on a cable-cam system, so thats too heavy. Now I think I will have a software solution maybe, so that H264 will be downloaded via WLAN, in addition I could have a lightweight SSD traveling with the Chronos, to store the CinemaDNG. Best soltuion still would be a WLAN stick, but I don't know how to adjust the cameras Debian to use that.

Thanks a lot!

Martin...

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 09:48:17 PM »
If anybody is up for the challenge, this may help:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

kintehat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 02:47:30 PM »
Hi there! If you're looking for a good mobile app for deck building, I recommend checking out MTG Deck Builder. It's available for free on both iOS and Android, and it allows you to build and manage your decks on the go. You can easily search for cards, add them to your deck, and even share your deck with others. And if you're looking to scan QR codes or work with OCR software, be sure to check out smartengines.com. They offer a range of cutting-edge software solutions for a variety of needs. Best of luck with your deck building!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:56:09 AM by kintehat »