Author Topic: Chronos V0.5.0 Full Release  (Read 49213 times)

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
Chronos V0.5.0 Full Release
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »
We're happy to announce a new release of software for both the Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 cameras. This version builds on what was offered in V0.4.0.

I've attached the PDF of official release notes and upgrade instructions, but I'll reiterate them in this post as well. We'd be happy to hear about your experiences with this new version if you have a chance to update!

New Features and Improvements
● New Graphical User Interface with Dark and Light Modes
● Ability to set preferred exposure units on the main screen
● Double-tap video display area to zoom
● Ability to record live footage to H.264 mp4 @ 60 FPS in parallel with high-speed
recordings, including audio from the built-in microphone or line-in jack
● Automatic input detection and switching between the microphone and line-in jack
when recording audio in Live Record Mode
● Toggle Trigger Mode to allow BNC trigger to both START and STOP a recording
● Ability to configure most camera settings via the web page
● Ability to configure Triggers and I/O configuration via the web page
● Power Manager firmware update allowing for a longer button press (up to 3 sec.) to
boot the camera
● Power Manager firmware update to perform graceful shutdown when the battery is
critically low

Known Issues
● If the camera is being controlled via the web page, no messages will be shown on the
back-of-camera display if the video output mode is changed between
LIVE/RECORDING and PLAYBACK through the web interface.
● If the camera is powered on while connected to 10/100 (non-gigabit) network
equipment, the back-of-camera display will fail to start.
● When using Live Record Mode to simultaneously record 60 FPS MP4 footage to an
external storage device, the video display may momentarily blank or freeze while the
stream is being written to the storage device. This will not affect the high-speed
recording.

Updating Your Camera
There are two methods to update to Version 0.5.0. Please make sure to backup your work and calibration data prior to this.
1. [0.4.0 and later] Go to Util -> Storage -> Apply Software Update.
2. [0.3.2p2 and before] Re-flash your OS card by grabbing the image at: http://debian.krontech.ca/builds/chronos-voyager-20200617.img.xz Please see the attached PDF for more details on this.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:18:08 PM by sanjay »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Chronos V0.5.0 Full Release
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
Huge thanks for the 60fps continous recording with audio!Will this come Pre-Installed on the new 2.1 Chonos Cameras which are preordered?

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:07:36 AM »
These things sound awesome!
Cant wait to test them this weekend!

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
Any time frame on enabling the audio trigger for things like gun shots etc?

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:54 PM »
Or auto triggers... based on changes in pixels on screen?

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »
Huge thanks for the 60fps continous recording with audio!Will this come Pre-Installed on the new 2.1 Chonos Cameras which are preordered?

Yes, this is what is now being shipped for both the 1.4 and 2.1s. We also have a new manual on the way to support it.

Any time frame on enabling the audio trigger for things like gun shots etc?

We don't have a formal schedule for this at the moment. If you're looking to do some audio triggering in the short term, I'm wondering if you could set something up to use the new Toggle trigger (start-stop) mode + some sort of external device to provide a trigger signal into the camera upon hearing whatever kind of sound signature you'd like to listen for..

Or auto triggers... based on changes in pixels on screen?

Great question, thanks for bringing it up. This is something we're looking into developing examples/application notes for. It's not something that is planned to be done within the camera itself, but with the live RTSP stream being fed into a computer vision application running on a PC. Here's where you'll be able to find those examples when available: https://github.com/krontech/chronos-examples

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 07:50:27 AM »
A big thank you to the Chronos team.

Did some tests and the software works without problems. I like the new GUI it looks very well.
Only one point - some digits from the frame numbers/counter in the play-window are at high framerates out of the visible range.
Finaly an other question - is it possible to insert some new 16:9 resolution settings - for example 800x450, 576x322 and so on.

Thank you!

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 08:40:50 AM »
I also had a quick playaround.
I quite like the new dark design, and it seems to work well!
so far I have run into three issues:
 - the "OK" button on the safely remove dialog can't be clicked (neither via the touchscreen, nor via click on the cogwheel)
 - I hear wierd noises (almost sounding like a fan) on the live video audio, even without  microphone being plugged in
 - I'm sofar unable to record audio – is there a special microphone needed? I tried a regular PC Headset without any amplification.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
- I hear wierd noises (almost sounding like a fan) on the live video audio, even without  microphone being plugged in
 - I'm sofar unable to record audio – is there a special microphone needed? I tried a regular PC Headset without any amplification.
Well, since the Camera has a built-in fan also, thats maybe where the Fan noises come from. I think the built-In microphone is pretty much unuseable for actuall high-Quality Audio for almost anything serious because of that, but could be a live-Saver to sync Any kind of High-Quality Stand-Alone Recorder or other Audio. If you only get fan noise, did you try to record something louder? maybe the fan was just much louder for the camera, than whatever Sound you tried to record because its a lot closer....
 As for the external microphone, i am pretty sure, you need a powered microphone with an internal amplifier. As far, as i know, its just an analog input, which will basicaly just record a Voltage over time. And you just wont get a voltage from an standard-non-Powered Microphone. The best you could try to test the Audio-In without buying some Powered Microphone or an Mic-Amp would propably be to feed the camera Audio-In with an Audio-Out from a PC and play music or something to get an actuall voltage to the Camera-input. Would propably be smart to start a lower volume and turn up the audio if needed slowly.
I dont know if thats implemented yet, but i think some kind of indicator of the input level of the Audio-In would propably be VERY helpfull to have for a lot of people. Most cameras with Audio-In have one. I dont know if there is space to put it on the main screen over the actuall video feed (i mean one Line/ Row of pixels for Left and one for right would maybe allready be enough), otherwise it could live in some Menu, where you would go to check audio. Still better than not having an indicator at all... Just an idea however, which could save someones day in video production.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 12:46:34 AM »
Well, since the Camera has a built-in fan also, thats maybe where the Fan noises come from. I think the built-In microphone is pretty much unuseable for actuall high-Quality Audio for almost anything serious because of that, but could be a live-Saver to sync Any kind of High-Quality Stand-Alone Recorder or other Audio. If you only get fan noise, did you try to record something louder? maybe the fan was just much louder for the camera, than whatever Sound you tried to record because its a lot closer....
I'm not sure if the camera even has an internal microphone, I do not remember seing one last time I took it apart. But I might have overlooked it. The camera certainly has an (as of yet) unused speaker. Some confirmation from the Krontech guys would help here.
As for the external microphone, i am pretty sure, you need a powered microphone with an internal amplifier. As far, as i know, its just an analog input, which will basicaly just record a Voltage over time. And you just wont get a voltage from an standard-non-Powered Microphone. The best you could try to test the Audio-In without buying some Powered Microphone or an Mic-Amp would propably be to feed the camera Audio-In with an Audio-Out from a PC and play music or something to get an actuall voltage to the Camera-input. Would propably be smart to start a lower volume and turn up the audio if needed slowly.
I certainly could use a signal generator and feed it a pure sinewave for testing, but at this time I'm not willing to experiment with appling any voltage to the microphone jack without knowing the hardware limitations.
I dont know if thats implemented yet, but i think some kind of indicator of the input level of the Audio-In would propably be VERY helpfull to have for a lot of people. Most cameras with Audio-In have one. I dont know if there is space to put it on the main screen over the actuall video feed (i mean one Line/ Row of pixels for Left and one for right would maybe allready be enough), otherwise it could live in some Menu, where you would go to check audio. Still better than not having an indicator at all... Just an idea however, which could save someones day in video production.
This would indeed be very helpful!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 12:55:21 AM »
#EDIT#:I was wrong about the Internal Mic, correction.

I'm not sure if the camera even has an internal microphone, I do not remember seing one last time I took it apart. But I might have overlooked it. The camera certainly has an (as of yet) unused speaker. Some confirmation from the Krontech guys would help here.
2.1 only has an MIC-IN, i did read that wrong. Datasheet says +-1V on the analog input, thats why i would indeed be carefull with Headphone outputs on pcs, if you turn volume up, they can easily go to +-5v or even -+10V, ar way beyond on open gate (No speaker plugged in) I am pretty sure you will be able to fry that analog input with some pc soundcards, if the Specs are as stated in the Datasheet, and you try hard enough!
Quote from 2.1 Datasheet:
Audio*Microphone/Line input, headphone outputVideoHDMI monitor outputUSBUSB type A (host) and micro B (device)SATAeSATA 3GbpsAnalog input*1MSa/s 12-bit, 200kHz bandwidth, +/- 1V full scale
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:59:38 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 12:57:30 AM »
ok, that Quote from the Datasheet is somehow broken, and i cant really fix it with an edit, here another Try as an Screenshot:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:49:31 AM by Nikon1 »

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 05:08:58 AM »
The analog inputs are separate from the audio inputs. These are the ones on the green multi-purpose connector, while the audio ones have their own 3,5 mm jacks.
The datasheet does not contain any information about the audio voltages as far as I know.

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 05:19:50 AM »
 - the "OK" button on the safely remove dialog can't be clicked (neither via the touchscreen, nor via click on the cogwheel)

Hm, I cant find a problem in this dialog - in both windows (storage and play) it works well.
And I am also not able to record audio with the build in mic - there is only a loud hum in the clip.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 05:40:54 AM »

Hm, I cant find a problem in this dialog - in both windows (storage and play) it works well.
And I am also not able to record audio with the build in mic - there is only a loud hum in the clip.
It works for the SD Cards, but not for eSATA on my camera. I did not test USB.