Author Topic: Remote control AND data transfer  (Read 15673 times)

gcp5017

• View Profile
Remote control AND data transfer
« on: July 06, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to transfer data from the camera to the connected laptop? I can currently control Chronos 1.4( v 0.4) remotely with python using json, but having difficulty determining how to get data onto the laptop.

Thank you in advance.

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Remote control AND data transfer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
There are several options. You could use network storage / samba shares. You could use SSH access and then use the common linux tools or a python script. There has been one posted here on the forums, but it's quite outdated and from before we had a proper API. It might still work though.

gcp5017

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion NiNeff.

I have been trying to do this over the NFS option in the camera (util.->Network->NFS Network Storage) which allows you to enter two fields, Address and Mount.
The NFS is configured on the host (tried with a laptop and a desktop, ubuntu 18 and 16). I used the computer IP as address, and entered the path for mount, following direction from : https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-nfs-mount-on-ubuntu-18-04

However, when I press the 'test' button, an error pops up informing me the "NFS share /var/nfs/general/ on ip_address is not connected!"
I am able to ping/operate the camera though. A bit lost at this point.
Hoping some one else has had better luck.

gcp5017

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »
Figured I would add that, trying to SSH into the camera does not work. It is asking me for a password.

gcp5017

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 02:15:28 PM »
It appears as though the v0.4 does not come with the nfs-common package for NFS network storage, SMB is available though.
I was able to ssh into the camera (root@camera_ip, but prompted with the password. I am hesitant to post the root password on the forums, not sure if it is allowed, but guessing worked.
Installing the nfs-common while being connected to the interned did allow me to setup an NFS folder, which shows up in the cameras GUI. However, when trying to save a file, it hangs, even when the save is to the internal micro card. I am still able to ping the device.

Will provide a guide once all the issues are resolved.

gcp5017

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
This issues has been resolved with the 0.5 V software update.

ExlerElektronik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:37 AM »
I tried to set up save to NFS (Synology disk station) from my Chronos 2.1 using 0.5 firmware and did not succeed.

Are ther any instructions how to set up NFS file save?
The manual referenced in the User manual explains SMB shares only!
Which user name from the camera is trying to connect to the share?

SMB V1 support has been dropped by many vendors for security reasons. So the Synology does no longer support it and I won't set up an SMB Version 1 share on my PC for the same reason.

gcp5017

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 07:26:05 AM »
I tried to set up save to NFS (Synology disk station) from my Chronos 2.1 using 0.5 firmware and did not succeed.

Are ther any instructions how to set up NFS file save?
The manual referenced in the User manual explains SMB shares only!
Which user name from the camera is trying to connect to the share?

SMB V1 support has been dropped by many vendors for security reasons. So the Synology does no longer support it and I won't set up an SMB Version 1 share on my PC for the same reason.

Not sure what OS you are using.
On linux, I followed these directions to set up an NFS server:
https://www.tecmint.com/install-nfs-server-on-ubuntu/