Author Topic: Chronos 2.1 - Can't use 800 pixels wide or less  (Read 8166 times)

chrissie_c

• View Profile
Chronos 2.1 - Can't use 800 pixels wide or less
« on: July 11, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »
I just got my Chronos 2.1HD yesterday and am really impressed! I need to work it a little while to really get the hang of it, of course.

However it doesn't seem to like recording at widths less than 1024. If I select (eg) 800x600 then the display just goes black and nothing gets recorded. The same goes for 640x anything. It works for higher speeds if the width is 1024 or 1280 but I prefer more 'square' aspect rations than the long thin type.

Is this something you've seen, and can it be fixed?

Chrissie

chrissie_c

• View Profile
Re: Chronos 2.1 - Can't use 800 pixels wide or less
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:27:37 AM »
Oddly it's not happening today. I'm sure I didn't dream it yesterday.

I'll keep an eye on it. It might have been a combination of resolution and gain settings.

Thomas L.

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »
We've seen the display and recording issue happening primarily at resolutions below 800x600. You should be able to get away from it by selecting RECORD SETTINGS, then CENTER. No select the left box under OFFSET and adjust the offset by increasing or decreasing the number (clicking down or up on the screen). Click apply, close, then OK.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 06:16:21 AM »
Thanks I'll give that a try. It seems to happen only when I have Analogue gain set above 12dB

Nikon2

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
Thanks I'll give that a try. It seems to happen only when I have Analogue gain set above 12dB
I tried a bunch of weird resolution / Framerate combinations on my 2.1 as well, and found that Higher framerates/ Smaller resolutions in combination with High gain Settings as well as any Framerate below 38fps/ some Framerates below 55fps will either produce very weird and Glitched Images or just a black screen. I guess thats mostly an Software-issue for example if the Black Calibration process requires a certain number of frames to work propperly, and Frame Readout rate is too low for that, it will try to calibrate with incomplete information resulting in an image with weird looking rows of pixels.

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
The viewfinder going black is known behaviour when the image sensor is configured with specific resolution and analog gain combos. Thanks for bringing this up, as I don't think we currently document this anywhere, so I'll add it to the new software manual that is in the works right now..

Specific common resolutions where this will occur:
1024 x 768 at or above 18dB
1024 x 576 at or above 18dB
800 x N at or above 12dB
640 x N at or above 12dB

Thomas' suggestion may also apply if the issue persists while the gain is less than 12dB for the above resolutions.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 03:17:56 AM »
ahh at least it's a known problem :)

Is there likely to be a fix available in a future release?

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 12:57:08 PM »
It's tough to say at this point, since we'll need to investigate to see if it pertains more to software configuration of the sensor, or the sensor's limitations.. I'll post here if there's an update.

One thing that might help for now is to select the highest analog gain setting that does produce output, and then combine that with the digital gain setting that's also found in Record Settings.