Author Topic: Need a tutorial on shutter speed  (Read 11882 times)

jasonfish

• View Profile
Need a tutorial on shutter speed
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
In looking around, I'm learning that shutter speed is crucial for getting good hi-speed footage. There's much talk of ensuring that one's shutter speed is 2x the frame rate, or the 180* rule, and other suggestions. The problem is that the Chronos displays shutter speed in us, and I'm not sure what that scale is. How does us relate to whole seconds or fractions of a second? There's also %, which is a percent of ... what? Setting shutter speed to MAX can't be correct in all scenarios.

It's almost like trying to figure out one's fuel efficiency in miles-per-gallon, but only given a distance in feet and a speed in Kilometers-per-day. It's certainly possible, but stupid to not start with relative value.

There must be a simpler way to show shutter speed on the Chronos. Does the UI need to be changed to use a different scale? If not, I need a good tutorial on how the shutter speed on THIS camera relates to time and/or frame rate.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: Need a tutorial on shutter speed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
The main screen displays the shutter speed in percent of fully open, so 2x or 180 degrees would be 50% shutter. 100% would be equivalent to 360 degrees. To convert degrees to percent, divide by 3.6

Would people prefer degrees over percent? An option for either?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:41:03 AM by tesla500 »

jasonfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
so 2x or 180 degrees would be 50% shutter. 100% would be equivalent to 360 degrees.

I think that's why some of my fast-moving subjects, like the pellet in my most recent trial, are stretched; the shutter is open too long per frame, allowing motion blur.

Armed with that explanation, I don't think it needs to change yet. I just didn't know how to use it, will try a few more settings.

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »

Options are always good. Ir a more defined term like motion blur more / less.

Taofledermaus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
so 2x or 180 degrees would be 50% shutter. 100% would be equivalent to 360 degrees.

I think that's why some of my fast-moving subjects, like the pellet in my most recent trial, are stretched; the shutter is open too long per frame, allowing motion blur.

Armed with that explanation, I don't think it needs to change yet. I just didn't know how to use it, will try a few more settings.

The more you play with the camera,  the better.   I would suggest using the largest aperture,  set your focus,  then increase the speed of the shutter which will darken the imagery.   

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:46 PM »
I know it's been linked elseware. But this should be a 'must watch' video for owners of High Speed Cameras:
"The Challenges of High-Speed Filming" by SlowMo Guys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lZvF-YyP0s

And David:  If there is space on the screen you could do   180°(50%)   as the shutter display and make both happy.
Edit: I would be tempted to put the shutter to 50% by default, except the Chronos seems to have less motion blur than the Phantom. But maybe I'm seeing things? (or not seeing them)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:49:09 PM by Electra »

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »
The more you play with the camera,  the better.   I would suggest using the largest aperture,  set your focus,  then increase the speed of the shutter which will darken the imagery.   

The problem is that you'll have a very soft image because of the large aperture. I've done a few videos and I found a good compromise is to put the shutter to 40-50 % and then use the aperture to set the exposition correctly ;)

thebishop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 03:00:58 AM »
The main screen displays the shutter speed in percent of fully open, so 2x or 180 degrees would be 50% shutter. 100% would be equivalent to 360 degrees. To convert degrees to percent, divide by 3.6

I think percent is _much_ more intuitive for "normal" new users without background of using a degree-based system before. I watched the slo-mo guys video quoted and when he describes that the degree is the amount of cut-out from a rotating disc, it just seems anachronistic.

I'd rather have percentage (or the option to choose if really people want the degree-notation).