Author Topic: Review of Chronos 2.1  (Read 39098 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Review of Chronos 2.1
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 01:19:26 PM »
If you got the money to get one of those, it propably would be worth it, if you can make the cost back from Client work in a reasonable amount of time. For my usecase this is just a bit tooooo expensive and setup time will make the 15/30 minute Warmup time of the Chronos seem fast, unless you build yourself some serious camera Rig for that.
About at least 30min to 1 Hour was actually my intuitive Guess as to how long it would take to set up a Phantom, but still would be curios as to what takes the most time when actually setting one up

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »
Ah, ok. I am planning to mount my 2.1 on my bike tomorrow, to do some street highspeed. Also, it will be mounted on a very fast spinning turntable soon. Doesn't sound that easy to do with a phantom.  :)

SergeyKashin

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 06:04:19 PM »
Today I shot a couple of frames and the camera hung every time after saving the material to the SSD disk

Photopage

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
Hi Sergey,

sounds like you have a problem with your camera.  I save everything through esata to SSD and it works perfectly.  I've made over 100 saves in the lase two weeks and the camera has not hung once. 

Have you tried to update or reinstall the firmware?

Cheers,
Col

SergeyKashin

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »
No one has come up with a solution to deal with the fan that drags all the dust around the camera. Someone may have made some filters? This is a very big problem after being in the field, I noticed that there was dust on the sensor and dust appeared in all places where there are air ducts, what will happen to the camera after a couple of months of active use

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
No one has come up with a solution to deal with the fan that drags all the dust around the camera. Someone may have made some filters? This is a very big problem after being in the field, I noticed that there was dust on the sensor and dust appeared in all places where there are air ducts, what will happen to the camera after a couple of months of active use
???
 http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=594.0
 Have you read this topic?
 Otherwise i highly reccomend this, its about exactly that.

SergeyKashin

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 02:19:03 AM »
???

Thank you for the topic, read it and now for the sensor I am calm. But the problem of getting dust inside on the chips and other components remained. I understand correctly that the fan expels air down and to the left of the lens. Meanwhile, all the dust that falls on the fan settles inside the chamber, how much is it advisable to blow with a compressor or special air cans?. Most likely you will need to develop some kind of prototype on a 3D printer with the installation of a filter to protect internal components

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 07:07:21 AM »
???

Thank you for the topic, read it and now for the sensor I am calm. But the problem of getting dust inside on the chips and other components remained. I understand correctly that the fan expels air down and to the left of the lens. Meanwhile, all the dust that falls on the fan settles inside the chamber, how much is it advisable to blow with a compressor or special air cans?. Most likely you will need to develop some kind of prototype on a 3D printer with the installation of a filter to protect internal components
Unless you end up filming in some underground Mining plant or in the desert, i see no problem with dust on other Electronic components. I mean, it is just a very specialized Small PC inside, with an special OS running on it. Every PC and Laptop will be just fine, even after Years of use in an Normal Home or even somewhat reasonable Clean Office or industrial environment. Main Problem could be, if you end up getting THAT much dust in there, that something overheats. But as i said, unless you work in some REALLY dirty place with a ton of dust or other Bad stuff in the Air for a long time, its fine. Every Computer Component, Mainboard, Graphics Card ect. has Air with some dust in it blowing over it all the time. And i dont know if you ever did PC repair at any point, but you would propably be surprised with how much dust inside some Laptops will still work kinda fine (eventually they sure overheat, when the dust finally managed to block the Airflow completely....). So, i wouldnt worry about dust inside the Camera itself all that much. If you work in dirty places, might consider cleaning it regularly, cause while a bit of dust buildup sure is fine inside there, you dont want to have an entire kitten worth of Cat hair in there or something like that  ;) .
 Also just as an additional Note about Very dusty places in general: If you look around on ebay a bit for broken lenses, you sometimes will come across a bunch of lenses, someone took to some Shoot whatever into the Desert, mostly this Story ends with an Lens with a bunch of sand inside, which is basically useless except for parts, since all the Sand in there also scratches the Glass itself and other bad things. So, if you can, avoid places THAT dirty, that you have to worry about serious dust buildup inside the Camera, in general, since those are generally places which are just not good for the Camera to be at.
 IF you actually for some reason have to be at such a place, especially for long time, consider one of those waterproof cases or protect your camera in other ways (even an Transparent Plastic Bag would be better than nothing). Whats Waterproof is generally also Dust-Proof, so....
 As for Cleaning The Mainboard with compressed air, sure, you can do that. However, i would be carefull with small home Compressors you might have in your garage or home Shop, since those usually can have moisture or full on water drops inside it, and can also contain Oil Mist. depending on the Age and condition of the Tank and Lines you are using for the Air, there can also be a lot of other Bad things in there like Rust particles and all kinds of dust and dirt. So be carefull with home compressors. Better (usually really expensive) Comperessors have an dedicated Air Filter and Drying unit to only give out Clean, dry Air. If you can make sure, that the air is clean and dry, thats good to use. You dont want Any oil or Water inside that camera...
 As for Air Cans, those can give out pretty clean air, so thats generally fine to use from my understanding.
 I personally dont really use an Compressor (cause i dont have one right now) and just clean my electronics dry if needed.
 As for HOW to clean it, it would maybe be a good idea to actualy open the Camera and get the Boards out to clean them, because otherwise you end up just blowing it around inside the Case. But then IF you get the boards out, the Sensor is now exposed to all the dust you are kicking up with the Compressed air....
 Personally, i am not worried about dust or anything at all with this camera (except for Scratching my sensor with some Weird lens i will try to fit on there one day and hit the Sensor with it....), and would only clean any board or electronics inside if its actually causing problems, like overheating or things like that. By that point in time, which i would expect to be in like 30 Years of normal use for mine, it might be a good idea to open it and check everything inside anyways, since Thermal pads propably are also getting old at that point, so....
 If you want to get it Cleaned propperly, might even send it to the Krontech guys like every 2 Years to get it cleaned, if dust is actually expected to become a problem in your usecase.

SergeyKashin

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 05:05:38 PM »
Today I encountered a very strong camera freeze when shooting two frames in a row and only restarting the camera helped.
1. I started recording and at the end I press stop, the camera just freezes and I can’t do anything (there were no ssd and flash drives in the camera)
2. I installed ssd in the camera, turn it on, shoot the frame - stop recording - press save, it gives an error (Recording Failed: Operation not permitted) after that the camera freezes and only reboot helps

As a result, we get 2 bad attempts, and these attempts could be very expensive.
Developers tell me what to do and how to deal with it ???

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
Hi Sergey,

Would you be able to send us a message at [email protected]?

That way we could start a support email thread and help narrow down the cause of your saving issues, thanks!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 07:21:38 AM »
Today I encountered a very strong camera freeze when shooting two frames in a row and only restarting the camera helped.
1. I started recording and at the end I press stop, the camera just freezes and I can’t do anything (there were no ssd and flash drives in the camera)
2. I installed ssd in the camera, turn it on, shoot the frame - stop recording - press save, it gives an error (Recording Failed: Operation not permitted) after that the camera freezes and only reboot helps

As a result, we get 2 bad attempts, and these attempts could be very expensive.
Developers tell me what to do and how to deal with it ???

Had my 2.1 also freeze a bunch of times now, but it usually was when Inserting an SD Card While Playback from RAM was running or when inserting an SD while the Camera was booting up. Guess it just dont likes that. The Bootup one i understand, propably messes something up in the Boot Routine of the Camera when Devices are Changed during Boot (also propably not much can be done about this, because this is most likely Hardware problem, like some older PCs also dont like it when you mess with devices During boot). Not sure what is going on with the Playback ones though. Also the Boot -freezes are not too bad, but the Ones where it freezes while Playback is running are really bad, cause it usually means the User has shot something worth saving and is about to do that, but now has to force a power down and will loose the Footage he just shot. I was able to easily reshoot everything i lost from those Freezes, but those could lead to more Serious losses elswhere. Since then i just always closed the Playback Screen into the Normal Home/ Recording Screen and inserted The SD then, then gone back to Playback Screen to Save and didnt have any Freeze again so far.

SergeyKashin

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »
I'm already starting to bomb, the camera constantly freezes after saving stuff, I can't click 2 times to save or change the format, because it froze (the firmware was installed on a new flash drive this afternoon, with the old firmware it was the same)

If you plan to take the camera for creativity and soul I advise you to wait until the normal software is completed

I sent a video to support, but I didn't get a response
The camera can freeze at any time (change of fps, after switching on, after saving)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »
I'm already starting to bomb, the camera constantly freezes after saving stuff, I can't click 2 times to save or change the format, because it froze (the firmware was installed on a new flash drive this afternoon, with the old firmware it was the same)

If you plan to take the camera for creativity and soul I advise you to wait until the normal software is completed

I sent a video to support, but I didn't get a response
The camera can freeze at any time (change of fps, after switching on, after saving)
Have you tried to connect it to a PC and control it via the Web interface after a freeze? if it responds on the Web interface, its possibly not a freze but just some broken Touch screen (if it only happens after saving, thats more unlikely) or a loose Connection somewhere in the Camera.
 But given yours also boots for several minutes sometimes, i start to think your Camera is somehow a faulty unit. Should be covered by warranty however.
 Seems really weird, its not normal it does that, especially as often as you say it does.
 About support not answering, i also sendt some Question about custom Fan Curves a few days ago, and still got no answer. Dont really know whats up over there, maybe they got some Holidays over there In Canada again or Covid stuff, but they usually respond at some point if you give them some time. Yours is way more urgent however, maybe try calling them instead for faster support.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »
I also have a lot of footage losses because the cam simply hangs. Happens quite often when saving. It's not the touchscreen, I use the Web interface.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 05:10:28 AM »
I also have a lot of footage losses because the cam simply hangs. Happens quite often when saving. It's not the touchscreen, I use the Web interface.
Just got my SmallHD 502 Last week and i am also observing a surprising amount of freezes since then, while I had close to none bevore. So anyone made simmilar observations? Could just be something simple like the camera not liking a HDMI plugged in while saving or something i guess (mine also hung on the Save Screen /Playback Screen mostly when the 502 was on there)....?
 #EDIT#: Also seems to have problems with the HDMI plugged in when Booting sometimes, but sometimes its fine. Never really had much of boot problems bevore also, but behaves weird when plugged in sometimes, so i now usually boot it with the HDMI removed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:13:31 AM by Nikon1 »