Author Topic: Replacing a broken BNC-Jack on the Chronos /Repair /How To  (Read 6409 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Replacing a broken BNC-Jack on the Chronos /Repair /How To
« on: October 26, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »
Not too long after i got my 2.1 i unfortunately allready managed to drop it from about 1.1 Meter (should be somewhere around 3.5 feet) straight onto concrete floor. Guess i got really lucky, since the only thing that got serious damage happened to be the BNC-Jack. The BNC must have been the Point it fell on first, then bounced around a bit. Apart from the BNC now beeing badly bent and unuseable, the Camera itself just got a few minor scratches and surprisingly still worked fine as if nothing had happened. At the time when i dropped it, i had an 12mm f/1.3 C-Mount lens mounted for trying out a bit of 2100fps, and lens Cap was on at that moment. Lens also went completely un-damaged, only the Lenscap got a small scratch. Still love the C-Mount mounting option, guess most usual Bajonet mount Lenses could have propably snapped off at the mount, just from the Impact. Since i didnt use the BNC back then anyways, i just left it like this. But recently, i wanted to repair it and get it working again. So i did, and i was able to succesfully replace it. Posting my experience with this repair and the replacement Part i used, here to help anyone out that might have to replace his also.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:15:17 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Replacing a broken BNC-Jack on the Chronos /Repair /How To
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
So, i contacted Krontech Support, asking them about what spare part to use as an replacement, or what other options i had for an repair if replacing the Connector itself wouldnt work out.
 The options where sending it back to Canada and let them repair it, them sending me the Whole Connector Board and me just switching it out, or to just try to get an BNC-Jack and try to solder that in.
 Because i really wanted to avoid sending it back there, cause dealing with german customs once was allready anoying enough once, and Shipment itself would allready add some serious cost, i took the Risk, found a Spare part here on german ebay, which had fast delivery, and no need to deal with import. Asked back at Krontech about the Part i was about to order, if it would fit, and they replied, they think it will, and it that it would sure be worth a try. Have to add, Krontech support was really helpfull with this whole repair, and explained everything well and informed me about the risks of attempting such a repair.
 It seemed to be an easy enough repair, so i tried my luck with ordering the BNC-Jack and replacing it myself.
 I then a few days later ended up taking the 2.1 apart, and was able to successfully replace it. Tested it, and everything including the BNC now works fine.
 Camera is built very well, was kinda impressed when taking it apart. No wonder its that rugged, its basically just a hollow billet of Aluminum with a camera inside, only thing to really break there are the input ports, the display and that Knob ob the back.
 The Part i ended up using for the Replacement:
 https://www.ebay.de/itm/5-1634556-0-Buchse-BNC-weiblich-mit-90-Winkel-50-THT-auf-PCB-PTFE-TE-Connectiv/223981483506?hash=item34265635f2:g:u5EAAOSwcMNemvEz

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:15:05 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
Now, as a Summary, would i reccomend to attempt such an repair by yourself?
 Depends. I personally allready did quite a bit of electronics and Camera repair in the past, i found it rather easy to replace.
 My Soldering Iron was too weak for that Connector, and the Tip too small, so it was quite the fight to get the original, Broken BNC-Jack off of there, but i got it removed eventually. With a Propper size Iron, it would have been a lot easier to remove it. Soldering in the New one was pretty easy, once the other one was gone, and the excess Solder was removed from the Board.
 But if you dont have the experience especially in soldering and are really comftable and confident with it, i would reccomend thinking about just getting a new Connector Boad and replace that completely.
 Taking it apart is Quite easy compared to most other Cameras i have seen (thanks again to Krontech for building a camera that is actually repairable and also really repair-Friendly), but you are still at a serious risk of Ripping out/ apart a Ribbon Cable, damaging one of the Connectors between the board or damage other internal Components or the PCBs if you are not carefull when taking it apart. As an guide of how to disassemble it, i can highly reccomend the Official Chronos 2.1 Teardown Video from Tesla500. Just follow that video Step by step for taking it apart, and you should be able to get insde the Camera without too much problems.
 However, if you never did any repair on electronics or something like this, an Chronos may be not the best thing to first practice on, if thats the Case, maybe just send it in and let them repair it for you.
 #EDIT: The Connector board on the 1.4 and 2.1 are the Same btw., for anyone wondering, so that Part should work for both. Also noticed a bunch of bad grammar in the above posts when reading it again after posting, but wont go back and fix all of those, so sorry for that, i hope its still understandable enough.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:01:35 PM by Nikon1 »

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:33:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing.