Author Topic: How to synchronise two 2.1 Chronos?  (Read 7198 times)

myrmitian

• View Profile
How to synchronise two 2.1 Chronos?
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »
I have got two Chronos 2.1 cameras. The footage from these cameras have been fantastic and the cameras have been really nice to work with. I have till now worked with individual cameras, and I am trying to set up the two cameras in sync to film insect flights. I would like to set up a post-trigger. I am having some difficulties and I hope you can help. Below is what I have tried

1. Master camera has a BNC Tee, with a BNC cable at one end (connected directly to the slave camera) and a trigger cable at the other. Trigger cable is purchased from Krontech.
2. Trigger setting on Master: IO1 (BNC): Frame Sync Output ON; 20mA Pullup ON; rest are OFF
3. Trigger setting on Slave: IO1 (BNC): Shutter Gating ON; rest are OFF

If I change the shutter speed on the Master (exposure values change), that does the corresponding change in the slave. Note, in the slave only the view changes, but not the exposure values.

When I press the trigger, neither of the camera records, but the trigger is detected in the slave only - where the frame is frozen.

So, I removed the BNC tee from the master and connected the two cameras directly with a BCN cable with no external trigger. Now I had the following settings
1. Trigger setting on Master : Frame Sync Output ON; rest are OFF
2. Trigger setting on Slave: IO1 (BNC): Shutter Gating ON; rest are OFF

Again, changing shutter speed on the Master, changed the exposure on the slave. But if I press record on the Master (or on the slave), it records only on the camera where I clicked record, but not the other.

I am clearly missing something rather simple here. Could you please help?

Both cameras
Monochrome 2.1, 32GB
Release version: 0.5.1
Build: 0.5.1
Frame rates are set to match on both at 1000 fps

Thanks heaps for your help!

myrmitian

• View Profile
Re: How to synchronise two 2.1 Chronos?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »
Hi all,
Just checking if anybody could advise on synchronising two Chronos 2.1 cameras.
Thanks!

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
Hey there! Here's a guide on how to synchronize two cameras, let me know if this procedure helps.

mostafa

• Krontech Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 04:58:37 PM »
We have been seeing more demand for triggering and synchronizing multiple Chronos cameras lately, so we decided to release a "How To" tutorial.

This tutorial will outline three different ways to trigger multiple Chronos cameras:

1- Trigger multiple cameras using a trigger switch cable.
2- Trigger and synchronize multiple cameras simultaneously using a Transmitter/Receiver camera.
3- Synchronize shutters on multiple cameras using an external signal source.

Note: these approaches can be used if you have a Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 camera in a setup.

https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Triggering-Synchronizing-Multiple-Chronos-Cameras.pdf