Author Topic: Chronos 2.1 resolution/speed table  (Read 8444 times)

mklinger

• View Profile
Chronos 2.1 resolution/speed table
« on: January 15, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of my Chronos 2.1 today and am excited to start making videos!

I wanted to better understand the relationship between the various resolutions and max frame rate.  As you probably know, as you window-down the resolution, you have access to faster speeds.  In general, the camera does 2.1 Gpix/sec, but in reality, I've found it can range from 2.28 Gpix/sec to 1.48 Gpix/sec. 

I knew that there was overhead wrt to frame generation and different horizontal resolutions, but what was somewhat a surprise to me is that the camera really only has 4 ideal horizontal resolutions: 1920, 1472, 1152, and 832.  Anything different than those, it'd be the same as cropping in post. 

For example, the absolute highest pixel rate for the camera is 1472x1080 @ 1434.28 fps.  If you shoot at 1184x1080 you can still only go 1434.28 fps, but when you make the tiny jump to 1152x1080 you make a big speed bump to 1808.06 fps.

It looks like there are no surprises with decreasing vertical resolution as the size correlates well to framerate in a smooth fashion.

Check out the attached image for the full chart.  The first one shows the resolution and max frame-rate and other one shows pixel rate color-coded from green to red from fastest to slowest.

I thought it was interesting and might help others focus on ideal resolutions to get the most from the camera.

mklinger

• View Profile
Re: Chronos 2.1 resolution/speed table
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »
Following on to my previous post, I've created a handy table that uses the ideal horizontal resolutions and is color-coded by aspect ratio.

The intent would be to choose a desired ratio for your shot, say 2.00 which is color coded yellow in the chart below.  The four highlighted resolution combinations would be the ideal choice to maximize performance.

Hopefully this is useful for some folks!

Marc

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 01:34:54 AM »
Good work! thank you for sharing this.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
Great post! Haven't seen that until now. Very good, really!

Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 06:08:45 AM »
Great post and great work! Thank you for sharing.