Author Topic: Chronos V0.6.0 Full Release  (Read 38079 times)

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
Chronos V0.6.0 Full Release
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »
Hey everyone,

We're happy to announce a new release of software for both the Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 cameras. This version should especially be helpful to Chronos 2.1 owners, as our engineering team has spent even more time improving image quality and attempting to reduce vertical banding.

Something that's a bit different for this update is that you'll need to create an sd card image. We're having some issues with the package server, so the Util->Storage->Apply Software Update via network will not work for this update, but I still wanted everyone to have it instead of waiting for me to fix it. I'll come back and post when this update is also available via network update.

See http://debian.krontech.ca/manualBuilds/ for the update file, checksum, and a PDF of the release notes. Also contained in the PDF are instructions on how to update, and how to calibrate your camera, so hopefully that works as a start-to-finish guide for everyone. Please let me know if anything is unclear.

New Features and Improvements
  • Chronos 2.1 models benefit from an improved sensor driver configuration. The analog gain values of the LUX2100 sensor have been modified to reduce noise at higher levels of analog gain (also referred to as ISO), such as 6dB, 12dB, and 18dB. This translates to less vertical banding than in prior software versions. Adequate lighting is still highly recommended.
  • Chronos 2.1 models no longer require special factory calibration files. All calibrations required to use the camera with the best possible image quality can be performed by a customer in the field within 5 minutes via the Util -> Factory -> Column Gain Calibration function.
  • Chronos 2.1 models benefit from newly generated Color Matrix presets, as found in White Bal -> Color Matrix. Previous software versions had color matrices that were optimal for the LUX1310 sensor in the Chronos 1.4, instead of the LUX2100 sensor found in the Chronos 2.1.
  • A list of saved files on external media can now be browsed via Util -> Storage -> List Files. The same functionality exists to make it easier for users to select the save destination in Play -> Settings -> Pick Folder. The file browser also allows for users to delete files on external storage devices. This functionality is mirrored in the web page.
  • Monochrome cameras can no longer open Color Matrix settings. This was mistakenly enabled in 0.5.0.
  • Frame counts are no longer cut-off on the right-hand side of the display when in the Play screen when frame counts are six-digits long.

Known Issues, Updating, Calibration
Please see the PDF contained in the link above.

Chronos 2.1 Image Quality Change Demo
I've made a short video showing a before (0.5.1) and after (0.6.0) at HD with various analog gain levels. The main thing to note is the banding along the left and right sides of the frames in each shot, especially at 12dB. Please excuse the few spots of dirt on my engineering camera.
Download the video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/urq1qmnsjv9kwcn/Chronos%202.1%200.6.0%20Update%20Demo%20%284%29.mp4?dl=0 (I recommend downloading instead of viewing online because of the compression/loss of detail from streaming)

0.6.0 User Manual
We've also updated our user manual to reflect this update, as well as some general semantics. See: https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Chronos-1.4-and-2.1-User-Manual-Software-Version-0.6.0.pdf

As always, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] for more urgent support inquiries. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:42:27 PM by sanjay »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Chronos V0.6.0 Full Release
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »
"With software version 0.6.0, Kron Technologies is pleased to announce that there are no longerany special factory files that must be generated at our facilities. Both Chronos 1.4 and 2.1models may be fully calibrated by owners within 10-15 minutes."
 "Wait for 15 minutes to let the camera and image sensor reach their operating temperatures, then press ​Yes​. This procedure can be redone at any time via the Util ->Factory screen."
 Very Nice! Thanks for this new Update!

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
Thanks for this update!!

One question to calibrate the camera - is it necessary to use a lense cap in step 1 too?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:45:54 AM by Bian »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
i Blocked the Lens while doing that, which worked, not sure about if its nessercary, there is no mention about it in the PDF.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
Did a bit of Testing on my 2.1, nothing too Serious or Methodical, just played around a bit without really Recording, Saving, Grading anything (havent touched Gain settings yet, all at 0dB), and for Higher Framerates (250+fps) and Full Resolution/ 720pHD Resolutions there is a Huge Improovement in Image Quality overall and also a LOT less of those Vertical Lines, even in the Really underexposed Areas of Frame (yes, even at the Lower sides.). This however seems to come at the Cost of a bit lower Overall Light Sensitivity, means it feels like it needs more Light now, which is a Fair Price To pay for this Improovement in Image Quality.
 Produces Some Really Nice, even Almost Film-Like Looking Footage (had a Vintage Lens on there, so maybe the overall look of that makes me a bit nostalgic or something, idk....Whatever it is, looks very good)
 But for Lower Framerates (24-250fps) and Lower Resolutions (below 1280px Horizontal Resolution), the Unstable Build and Even the Last Version did a Much better Job. 800x600px just looks Broken, Brightest Spots on the Frame Meassure about 50% on the HDMI-Out, no matter how bright i Expose is, to the Point where its even obviously Clipping. 100fps/ Full Resolution and Below also looks pretty rough, Way more Vertical Banding than ever in the Shadows, Mids And Highlights look OK-ish but also overall way lower sensitivity on those Settings overall.
 In Summary a huge Update, which i will definately use for Full-Resolution/ 720pHD Shooting with 250+fps, but at least for now, i will still use the latest Unstable Build on an Second SD-Card for everything else than that, as its still somehow better for everything except that.
 This Update is a big Step forward for High-Quality Footage on the 2.1, but i Feel it still needs some more Work to make me want to run it as the Only Software Version on there.
 Still need to do further Testing however, maybe this will proove me otherwise.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 06:48:50 AM »
This is working really well for me. Thanks!

JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 04:09:14 AM »
I am so glad to see this improvement, I will install the patch and test it out. This really changes things as the banding was really problematic in my initial testing.   Thank you greatly!  ;D

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 06:02:46 AM »
Did some tests and also a comparison between 2.1 and 1.4 with the new version 6.0 and the vertical banding is nearly dissapeared.

At the moment the 2.1 needs much more light than the 1.4 and there is somting strange with the video signal level (tested with an external monitor portkeys BM5II). Its not possible to get a video level more than 90 IRE and at lower resolutions the level declines at 30 IRE @ 640x360.

On the other hand the 1.4 allowed a level to 100 IRE and with the same lens and at the same time the level was at 55 IRE @ 640x360.

it seems, that the new software reduces the dynamic range a lot, so that it isnt possible to use the full video level from 100 IRE.

Has someone made a similar observation?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 08:26:33 AM »
Did some tests and also a comparison between 2.1 and 1.4 with the new version 6.0 and the vertical banding is nearly dissapeared.

At the moment the 2.1 needs much more light than the 1.4 and there is somting strange with the video signal level (tested with an external monitor portkeys BM5II). Its not possible to get a video level more than 90 IRE and at lower resolutions the level declines at 30 IRE @ 640x360.

On the other hand the 1.4 allowed a level to 100 IRE and with the same lens and at the same time the level was at 55 IRE @ 640x360.

it seems, that the new software reduces the dynamic range a lot, so that it isnt possible to use the full video level from 100 IRE.

Has someone made a similar observation?

Yes, can confirm, same for me, allready wrote a bit about it above:

[...] 800x600px just looks Broken, Brightest Spots on the Frame Meassure about 50% on the HDMI-Out, no matter how bright i Expose is, to the Point where its even obviously Clipping. 100fps/ Full Resolution and Below also looks pretty rough, Way more Vertical Banding than ever in the Shadows, Mids And Highlights look OK-ish but also overall way lower sensitivity on those Settings overall.
 [...]

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 04:26:32 AM »
I also noticed some Horizontal "Banding" (or whatever one would call that?) when Overexposed Areas are In Frame right next to dark areas. Dont remember them to be this visible in the Last Version, but will double Check, if i find time for that. I also dont really know, if this is just a Flaw of the Sensor itself, or if this is a software thing. Still way more organic looking than the Vertical Lines from the Last version, but if this could be improoved would sure be neat. Here is two DNGs in a .Zip, from me trying to reproduce this Banding.
 #EDIT#: Forgot to put the Settings that this was shot at here: 35mm 2.8 Russian Lens, 12dB gain, 359° 1kfps
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:16:07 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 08:16:49 AM »
Been using it for a bit now, and i really miss the "Play" Button in the Playback Screen? Is there a specific reason, why it had been removed in this Version? The Play button was very nice Way to view/review footage or to just have a loop playing. Still works with the Forward / Backwards buttons, but is kind of annyoing to allways need to hold the Button down and so on. Would love to see this Play Button come back in future Revisions if possible.  The File Browser /List Files option is Great though, finaly a way to check the Footage Without needing to have a PC right there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:15:53 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 09:18:07 AM »
Here is an untouched DNG Sequence (Heavily Compressed With 7Zip) directly from the 2.1, that shows this Banding i talked about above in Motion. Watch for the Reflection on the Hammer and how it affects the Background. Shot at 0db 1kfps, 180° on an Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 75mm/2.8 (was a bit stopped down, not exactly sure where i put the Apperture at...). This Short bit of Footage also shows Ghosting, where the Hammer Moves Fast, there is a "Ghost" Exposure of the Overexposed Highlight Visible, which disappears, when it suddenly stops. The Ghosting was allready there in the Previous Version, and wasnt really a Problem Ever for me, but still wanted to point it out, as i now finaly have footage which shows it very well; but the "Horizontal Banding" isnt that nice, and i dont remember it beeing that visible bevore.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:09:52 AM by Nikon1 »

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. Below are a few replies to various items:

Thanks for this update!!

One question to calibrate the camera - is it necessary to use a lense cap in step 1 too?

It isn't necessary to cover the lens in Step 1, as the sensor is running in a bypass/test mode, so it doesn't do anything with the light coming in.

Been using it for a bit now, and i really miss the "Play" Button in the Playback Screen? Is there a specific reason, why it had been removed in this Version? The Play button was very nice Way to view/review footage or to just have a loop playing. Still works with the Forward / Backwards buttons, but is kind of annyoing to allways need to hold the Button down and so on. Would love to see this Play Button come back in future Revisions if possible.  The File Browser /List Files option is Great though, finaly a way to check the Footage Without needing to have a PC right there.

This wasn't removed, but your default preferences were reset, which is why it was hidden again. It can be re-enabled by going into Util->Main, then checking the One-touch Playback option box.

Horizontal Banding: In cases where this occurs, it may help to black-cal a few times, especially after changing the shutter position. Will take a look, and have seen those sample DNGs, thanks Nikon.

Issues with 800x600: I've noticed this recently too, seems like changing the offset away from center moves the position of the vertical stripe. Also looking into it.

Lowered Dynamic Range: This is likely a side-effect of the sensor driver configuration. Some tweaks were made to the analog gain voltages to handle the vertical banding. Overall, we've been trying to work within the limitations of the sensor, and the tradeoff between the banding mitigation and light sensitivity hasn't been trivial. I'll keep an eye out for more info on this thread, as it is helpful in determining which areas still need improvement.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 12:39:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. Below are a few replies to various items:
 [...]

This wasn't removed, but your default preferences were reset, which is why it was hidden again. It can be re-enabled by going into Util->Main, then checking the One-touch Playback option box.

Horizontal Banding: In cases where this occurs, it may help to black-cal a few times, especially after changing the shutter position. Will take a look, and have seen those sample DNGs, thanks Nikon.

Issues with 800x600: I've noticed this recently too, seems like changing the offset away from center moves the position of the vertical stripe. Also looking into it.

Lowered Dynamic Range: This is likely a side-effect of the sensor driver configuration. Some tweaks were made to the analog gain voltages to handle the vertical banding. Overall, we've been trying to work within the limitations of the sensor, and the tradeoff between the banding mitigation and light sensitivity hasn't been trivial. I'll keep an eye out for more info on this thread, as it is helpful in determining which areas still need improvement.

Thanks a lot, really glad, that Play button is still there  :D .
 About the Banding, just wanting to say, i have seen Some Situations, where it gets WAY worse than the DNGs i posted above, and i dont think Black Calibration helps with that, but will test to do that. I ordered myself a bunch of 32GB Micro SD-Cards to keep the 0.6.0 and an older Version as well as The unstable Build on them without needing to Reflash them all the Time when Changing Versions, so i can directly compare the thing about the Banding there. Hope i get around to test it soon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:43:00 PM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Given the Fact, that the 0.6.0 now can generate Calibration files on its own, is it possible to export them and use them with other versions, like the latest Unstable Build?