Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Newbie Questions

<< < (3/3)

mshetzer:
I'm using h.264 right now.

When saving in DNG its soooooo slow.  I'm still running the SD card that came with the camera.  120/mb per second. 

I'm wondering if i can speed the saves up with running an SSD drive, or 300mb per second SD card.

Matt

Nikon1:
yes, i feel you, its painfully slow. SSD will be quite a bit faster for DNG, same speed for h.264 however. There is at least one or two threads here about SSDs. Have one, but currently havent got it rigged up completely, so for Short stuff i still use SD, but for Longer Saves i use The SSD where ever possible, speeds saving up by quite a bit. Make Sure to Connect via e-Sata if you get an SSD, not USB,  because USB isnt that much faster than the SD-Card.

mshetzer:
Perfect.  Thanks for the tips !!  I'm testing on birds right now, and by the time I save the first image, I've missed 3 others. 

Matt

mklinger:
From your image, it definitely still looks like you're running in to overexposure issues.  It looks like maybe they didn't update the software to notify overexposure when they went to the latest software version.  The latest software trades some dynamic range for less pattern (striped) noise.

Try underexposing another full stop and see if you can fix the image in post.

As for saving, yeah, it's slow.  I use the eSATA to SSD for Cinema DNG.  It's much faster than the SD card, but the real limit is with camera hardware, not the save medium.  You'll never see the 500+ MB/sec an SSD card can actually do.

Recently I've been playing with Samba share connecting the camera directly to my wired network.  It's really handy for controlling the camera via the web interface and downloading the video is reasonably fast 10 to 20 MB/sec depending on resolution.  Very long Ethernet cable is extremely cheap, so depending on how you have things set up, maybe that's an option for some things.  Certainly not good for hand-holding birding though!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version