Author Topic: Let's talk lighting  (Read 46513 times)

jasonfish

• View Profile
Re: Let's talk lighting
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
Mine have screw terminals, so no soldering. I have a few of each of these, they seem interchangeable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIJL4OC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SYX7BM
(and many others, some with V and A displays built in, which will be in my next order)

1) Attach your source, set the output V with the Voltage screw
2) Unscrew the Current screw all the way (it'll tick tick tick but won't actually stop)
3) Connect your vmeter in series with the lamp
4) Check the LED spec sheet for amps
5) Increase the Current screw until flicker stops and you get solid light output, note the amp draw and double check the LED spec sheet
(I actually gave an extra half turn of the CC screw to avoid starving the LED)

If you think you may have bumped or moved one of the screws, check it all again. Better safe than smoky.

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
Ah, the eBay ones don't have screw terminals.

In the long run it may be better to buy the ones you link with screw terminals. Makes calibration and such easy, as does replacing modules should the need arise.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 11:48:25 PM »
I just bought the LED panels from ebay, as well as the converters and some water cooling blocks. Lets see if I as a mechanic can get these electronics to work... :D

That will take a while... "guaranteed delivery" within 60 days :o

thebishop

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »
Initial feedback from actually shooting with the Godox 200 (x3) now - there seems to be no discernible flicker when shooting at 8K fps, so I think it looks as a good alternative. Haven't done more than initial "let's plug everything together and get some random test video done", but have hopes it will work ok also for my final intended use case.

Looks promising!

jasonfish

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
Darn it bishop, and here I was happy with my hacky Stratus lights. Now I might have to spend money again. grrr

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
Those Godox lights are good value, but each Stratus module + reflector + PSU is costing me £110 including shipping to the UK, so you get more lumens for your money and I quite like the modular approach.

If I bolt 4 x Stratus modules together into one fitting, that's going to give me 56,000 lumens. 3 of those fittings is going to put out a lot of light for under £1500 all in. 

jasonfish

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »
and I quite like the modular approach.

If you mean the ability to light from multiple angles, I agree: that's been fun to play with. Maybe one Godox as the primary, plus the two Stratus. ;)

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 03:36:21 AM »
and I quite like the modular approach.

If you mean the ability to light from multiple angles, I agree: that's been fun to play with. Maybe one Godox as the primary, plus the two Stratus. ;)

Also the flexibility to bolt several modules together to make larger lighting units which mount on a single lighting stand.

One of the problems when you have multiple lights all up close to the subject is fitting all the lighting stands into a small area!

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
Anyone found a good cheap 110v AC constant current driver? The killer expensive part is the 110V to 12 or 24 V PSU.  :-\

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 11:09:24 AM »
4 of the Stratus lights have just arrived.

Still waiting for the 24V PSUs to get here (cheapest I could find was £48 each but hey ho), but  I've tried them out on a bench PSU which maxes out at 17V, and they're looking very usable.

Different colour temperature to the other LED spotlights I've been using, but that shouldn't notice too much. It's often difficult to get LED lights from different manufacturers to match exactly.

I'm going to make a cover for them to protect the PCB better. Should be trying them with the Chronos next week sometime.

Explodify

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
Anyone have good recommendations from Amazon in the Sub 200$ range? I have tried a few and no luck. The Stratus I got went out after maybe 4 uses so I am hesitant to use them. Anyone used halogen lights or something of that nature?

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 01:39:53 AM »
Anyone have good recommendations from Amazon in the Sub 200$ range? I have tried a few and no luck. The Stratus I got went out after maybe 4 uses so I am hesitant to use them. Anyone used halogen lights or something of that nature?

How were you powering it? Have you contacted Stratus about it?

Explodify

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »

How were you powering it? Have you contacted Stratus about it?

Yep found that the issue was the battery. Running 2v per cell. Went and got a 24v 7+amp now working fine. So bought another light to make things better!

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 03:34:28 AM »
I'm still waiting for my 24V PSUs to arrive for the 4 I've got. Planning to use them this Wednesday for the first time, so they better turn up tomorrow!

I might actually be able to stop the lens down a few stops!

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
I got screwed by Amazon. Bought a bunch of the 48 watt automotive LEDs. They claim 48 watts, they actually use only 8 watts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7TG8ID/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

>:(

Getting ready to return these units. Might have to go with a build-it-yourself approach.