Author Topic: Dealing with constantly-loosening EF-mount adapter  (Read 13932 times)

1022mm

• View Profile
Dealing with constantly-loosening EF-mount adapter
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »
The E-mount adapter I'm using with my Chronos 1.4 has an issue with the three compression screws on its base constantly loosening with the slightest provocation.   This makes the lens "wobbly" and is often enough to affect the focus, leading to many ruined shots.   I have to carry a jeweler's screwdriver everywhere I go to keep them tightened, but it doesn't take much to re-loosen the screws.

This isn't really a problem with the Chronos per se, but is an issue created by the very small-diameter C-mount having to support the weight of DSLR lenses.  I'm using either a Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm lens with my Chronos - not huge lenses, but big enough that the stresses on the small C-mount connection are enough to work things loose easily. 

Is there a good C-to-E mount adapter that would be more secure, or maybe some type of cinema-like rig that can support both the camera and the lens on a common frame?  Thanks for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 08:22:50 PM by 1022mm »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Dealing with constantly-loosening E-mount adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:28:35 AM »
I am somewhat puzzled by the fact that you are talking about an E-mount adapter/ C-to-E mount adapter, as the only mount referred to commonly as E-Mount is Sonys Mirrorless Camera Mount, at least as far as i am aware. and that sony-E-Mount cant really be used on a C-mount Camera body (even CS-Mount would be tricky, but at least mostly possible on some cameras)
 Now given the Fact you also mentioned DSLR-Lenses, and the Canon brand, i assume you mean some kind of Canon DSLR-Mount adapter for C-Mount (not a Canon User Myself, but i guess they have an mount called EOS or something, so you maybe mean that one?).
 while i now also dont really know what kind of adapter / brand of adapter you are currently using, i still can generally reccomend the Metabones Brand:
 https://www.baader-planetarium.com/de/c-mount-canon-eos.html
 (German Link, but you will for sure find one sold on B&H or something similar, depending on where you live)
 Only thing to keep in mind, is that this adapter does not allow for any kind of apperture control, unless the lens can do it itself (for example an Aperture control ring on the Lens itself), as most modern Canon lenses require some kind of Electronic connection to the camera/ adapter to do that, which is also why i usually stay away from Canon mount lenses myself.
 I personally own two of Metabones Speedboosters and got my hands on a few of their other adapters bevore, and they are usually very high quality, and i never heard anyone say something bad about them, besides beeing somewhat on the expensive side compard to some other brands. if you are looking for a good and reliable adapter, i would reccomend having a look there.
 Hope this is the correct adapter you needed, otherwise, let me know or upload some images of the one you are using.
 As far as additional lens support goes, most flexible, standardized and streamlined solution would be to by some standard Rail-Supports which are also used for DSLR-Style Cameras with bigger lenses and Cine-Cameras. There are quite a few different Styles and Designs of those, but most of the not too exotic ones can usually be bought for reasonable prices, Professional and Big-Name-Brands can get somewhat pricey quickly however.
 Cant really reccomend a specific one, as they can be quite different and its a lot about preference and whatever you are doing with your camera/ Lenses, to find the best one for you.
 Best would propably be to just put "lens rail support" in your Search Engine of choice and look up some images that come up, and go with whatever you like most, if you actually need additional lens Suports.
 Those Rails are used a lot in Cinema Filmmaking, so i guess thats what you are looking for.
 Didnt sound like you are actually putting the Camera in a lot of physical Stress/ acceleration / Forces, but just a bad quality adapter. but if you do, consider a full cage which fully supports the Lens all around, will most likely need to be custom made for this camera and your specific Lens, but i guess thats very much overkill from the sounds of your initial post.
 For a quick and simple fix of the Problem i can also reccomend to just use someting to secure the Screws with, once tight.
 I seen a lot of People use some Loctite Products for keeping all kinds of Screws from moving, which usually works really well.  Now i never actually used any Loctite Product myself, but i know they offer a bunch of different stuff. You dont want the kind of Glue, that just will fix the Screws in place forever to never be loosened again, but rather the one, which just prevents the Screw from loosening itself, in case you actually need to readjust or even clean something for example.
 Dont really know a name for that stuff sadly, or what it is exactly.
 There Should be different brands of that too, but Loctite is the one that i know of, which has that for sure.
 Now given your adapter is atleast half decent and the problem is actually just the screws itself, this might save you some money and Time if it works.

1022mm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:22:55 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions, yes you are correct - I wasn't using the right terminology. I am using Canon EF lenses with this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUKDUDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 06:21:57 AM »
i have not owned the Fotodiox or Metabones one of those exact Adapters, but i assume the Metabones one should be at least a bit higher Quality. Fotodiox one should however still not be all that bad and at least "useable". If i where you i would first try to fix the Screws in place with something if you are otherwise happy with the Adapter and your overall setup. Rails and other supports are great for some things, but can and most of the time will add a bunch of Bulk to the size of the whole Camera Rig, which isnt allways what you want.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »
I have a Fotodiox adaptor for Nikon and some quite big lenses (thank you eBay) and never had the adaptor go wobbly on me, so it might just be that you have a faulty one?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 12:20:36 PM »
I have a Fotodiox adaptor for Nikon and some quite big lenses (thank you eBay) and never had the adaptor go wobbly on me, so it might just be that you have a faulty one?
Yes, i actually also thought about that. Wasnt sure about what Adapter you where using from the initial post, and for some of the Real cheap and bad no-name China stuff things like that could be very well possible, but Fotodiox isnt exactly known for bad adapters or anything. While (at least for me) Metabones is somewhere on the Top end for general purpose Lens Mount adapters, Fotodiox is still on the List of reputable brands for me.
 if you got yours brandnew, you can maybe also try to contact them, and get it replaced. Could at least be worth a try.

1022mm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »
Just an update to this thread.   I ended up going with a CAMVATE rail system to support the camera and the lens as one rigid unit.   This seems to have solved all of my focusing issues by eliminating all possible sources of movement.  The extra weight makes handholding for more than a few minutes at a time awkward, but I have production-tested this setup on the road during the past month, and it has held up very well. Thanks to all who offered suggestions!

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Dealing with constantly-loosening EF-mount adapter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 12:51:15 AM »
Happy to hear, that this worked out for you and you found a good solution!
 I can feel you with the weight thing...
 I attached a external Monitor to mine and use it with a Speedbooster and Full-Frame Lenses, which adds up to a decent bit of weight as well. Will have to figure out how to attach a Camera strap to it at some point, to carry it around the Neck, as it does indeed get pretty heavy fast. My issue isnt shooting itself, but more holding it in one hand at the Built-In Grip when walking around for 5 to 15 Minutes or something.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 01:16:23 AM »
Same problem here, but not solved yet. Anyone have a fix for that?

I have this adapter, btw.

SergeyKashin

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 03:54:43 AM »
Adapter

Visualtec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 06:01:11 AM »
That looks great

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 10:16:11 AM »
Adapter

Is that an Image of your MFT Adapter?
 #EDIT#: Also, whats up with the two missing screws?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:06:45 PM by Nikon1 »

SergeyKashin

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 12:44:37 AM »
m4/3 and canon

MessyZebra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 11:01:01 PM »
Same problem here, but not solved yet. Anyone have a fix for that? mcdvoice

I have this adapter, btw.

Fotodiox one should however still not be all that bad and at least "useable". If i where you i would first try to fix the Screws in place with something if you are otherwise happy with the Adapter and your overall setup. Rails and other supports are great for some things, but can and most of the time will add a bunch of Bulk to the size of the whole Camera Rig, which isnt allways what you want.

1022mm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 11:44:11 PM »
Update after shooting with this rig all spring and summer.   In addition to the Camvate rail system, I bought a different brand of lens adapter - a Vello (first one was the Fotodiox).   The two brands are very similar.

Sadly, even with all of the bracing from the rail system, the simple act of repeatedly setting the camera down on the passenger seat of the car over months of use was enough to start loosening things up again.    The Vello adapter screws now require re-tightening after a day or two of use, and the camera's lens mount actually has started rotating slightly.  With the wide-open aperture (and associated narrow depth of field) required to get useable exposures in outdoor daylight, these even very slight movements often require refocusing the lens - a task very difficult without very bright daytime lighting conditions.   The loose lens adapter screws often allow the lens to wobble on its axis, meaning one half of the image is in focus, the other out of focus.

I have added a zip tie to further secure the lens to the rail's y-support, but this is only a stopgap.   My next measure will be to install a tripod head in my car to perma-mount the rig, so that the lens never encounters *any* lateral force. It appears just the weight of the camera resting on its side is enough to work it loose over time.  It certainly appears that a native mount is going to be the only long-term stable solution.

Again, I usually need to set focus during the day and rely on that setting for the evening and nighttime.   Getting a good focus set in the dark, even when the camera is set to 30fps, is many times impossible.