Author Topic: Lens Mount for Chronos camera  (Read 2160 times)

SergeyKashin

• View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/sergey.kashin/
Lens Mount for Chronos camera
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:48:47 AM »
Hello everyone, I found a factory that makes adapters for the red camera, made them a request to make an adapter for our camera, they agreed on the condition that there will be a batch of 100 pieces in total, they can make for EOS-Chronos, M3/4-Chronos, AI-Chronos.
One of these days, they will redo the 3d model of red for chronos, all the information that will appear will be updated here. They can orient themselves on the price as soon as they make a 3D model (the more they do, the lower the price)

Also tell me what is your distance from the camera body to the adapter (example below in the photo) ?
Is this distance the same for all lenses? (which are given above)

Write messages below example:
1. kashin.sergey.v@gmail.com
2. EOS-Chronos, AI-Chronos

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Lens Mount for Chronos camera
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:26:01 AM »
https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Flange-Focal-Distance-Chronos-2.1-HD.pdf
 This Drawing shows the Flange Focal Distance of the Chronos Camera body. To determine the correct Adapter Height of an Adapter for any given Mount, use the Difference between the wanted total Flange Focal Distance ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance for an List of comonly used Lens mounts and their Flange Focal distances ) and the Dimensions in the Drawing.

SergeyKashin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
Some new photos

Robolt

• HighSpeed Cinebots from Spain
    • View Profile
    • Robolt
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
Hello Sergey, Nikon1 and everyone!

First, I thank you on behalf of the chrono users who want/want another mount on the chronos.
 Itīs a nice idea in my opinion to have "an official" adapter working.
As some of you know that we built a prototype working (Canon EF) and we extremely happy with that.
It can achieve focus, infinity, etc, but not parfocal zooms (we are not precise enough) now trying to make a PL one, but no luck at the moment.
So I hope this encourages people, YES, it is possible to successfully adapt other mounts to the chronos without opening it or modifying its interior, you just have to use the four front screws.

Here i attached some photos of the adaptor itself, hopes the info could be useful for someone.

And please Sergey, count with us, Chronos nš28 its in! (at least for EF, PL, and E version)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:53:48 PM by Robolt »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:14:12 PM »
Hi there.
 As for Precision: even the best lens and Camera brands cant reach that level of Precision in Production without increasing cost Way too much to make sense. It is common practice and Industry standard to make Flange distances "undersize" meaning too short and just have it adjustable by design. If you cant make it precise enough, make it adjustable, thats usually the Spirt here. Normaly then there would be a Set of Shim Stock to be used to set propper Flange Focal distance. Manufacturers usually do their own callibration, but for an adapter like this, maybe do it like Zeiss and other Cine-Equipment-Companies and just get it to about the Right Dimensions and offer a Shim set. I dont know to what level the Flange distances on the Chronos are accurate, but i assume even they have certain deviations in Flange distance across all cameras ever made, so it would be better anyways to have it adjustable in my opinion.  .
 https://www.abelcine.com/buy/lenses-accessories/lens-accessories/zeiss-set-of-shims-for-compact-prime-cp2-or-compact-zoom-cz2-lenses-1

And please Sergey, count with us, Chronos nš28 its in! (at least for EF, PL, and E version)

Also i dont know how familiar you are with this forum, but while it is just fair to make Nikon-F, Canon-EF and Especially PL-Mounts for the Camera (dont know if you actually made E-Mounts, meaning Sony mounts, that would be actually cool!), i think one of the most interresting Mounts for this Camera is MFT-Mount as it also is very apropriate for the Sensor size, beeing MFT also. Apart from Speedboosters for MFT Sensors, this would open up a bunch of very interresting lens Choices for everyone who isnt able to make an adapter itself, and i assume that would also increase the interrest in The Chronos Camera itself quite a bit for some potential buyers. Look around the Forum, i think MFT Adapters will certainly have plenty people buying one.
 Best Regards!

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
I build two MFT-adaptors for my Coronos 1.4 and 2.1 and they will work fine. So I am able to use  greater bandwith of lenses, beacause there are several adaptors for other types available.
My choise for this solution was, that it was no great problem to realise it and the possibility to use my Nikon lenses with a Metabones adaptor which is able to adjust the aperture of the lenses I use for my Nikon Camera too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:25:41 PM by Bian »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 06:13:18 AM »

https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=658.0
 Made a Poll over at the Link here to help figure out which Lens Mount Most Chronos users/ People who are interrested in getting one; use or would want to use.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:14:50 AM by Nikon1 »

SergeyKashin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »
Ready option

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 02:12:43 AM »
Ready option
I still cant quite figure out, if this means, that those adapters are now commercially available, and if so where to get them or at which price.
 Cant really tell, but those images look like a Canon mount i guess?
 I am not able to find any further information about this on the robolt.es website that is linked (i am sadly not fluent in spanish.... and there isnt even an option for english, as far as i can tell) or anywhere else really.
 So is this planed to be sold as an regular product at some point, and will Mounts Like MFT be available? If so, When aproxmately?

SergeyKashin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 02:55:16 AM »
I organize the idea as my own personal one, since I myself need an adapter, now it has become more clear at the price from the factory. I gathered about 10 people who want an adapter for themselves, now I will solve the issue with my paypal so that I can transfer for the adapter (since I did not use paypal before, I had restrictions on the amount). The photo shows the adapter for canon, as an example
Prices:
Nikon - 180$/pcs
Canon EF, Micro 4/3,Arri - 150$/pcs
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:58:14 PM by SergeyKashin »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 03:23:42 AM »
Thanks for the information!
 Are there any images yet of the finished product(/s)?
 All the Actual images so far still look like a fairly makeshift prototype sort of thing.
 I am considering to get myself a MFT adapter, i am currently using one i made myself completely from Scratch, even the mount, but this was just thrown together really quickly, and so it is just a Friction mount on the Bajonet without any locking feature. Made it fairly precise, so lenses will not come loose during use, and so far it worked well enough, but still very concerning for me, everytime i use it near Water or high up, even though it is actually very save.
 As i allready shared on the forum a while ago, i am also building a number of adapters, including the MFT one for personal use. However, i still didnt manage to find time to finish it, currently its like 1/4 done or something like that, too much other stuff to do rn.
 So if the MFT adapter is of decent quality i am well willing to buy it at that price, as it sounds reasonable for a good quality adapter, and i realize what making one costs in small numbers.
 But from all real product images so far i wasnt really impressed, and think i can build myself a better one.
 For now i will hold back from ordering one, until i can get an idea of the quality and precision of the Build-Quality. Maybe someone can post images or some kind of review, once those are actually shipped out.
 Might buy one if the quality seems convincing enough, and i didnt mange to get mine done untill then.
 Still wondering if the Backfocus-Issue was solved.