Author Topic: High-quality C-mount lenses?  (Read 5691 times)

1022mm

• View Profile
High-quality C-mount lenses?
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »
Per my last thread, I'm struggling with the C-to-EF mount adapter stability.   I'm not seeing any better C-to-EF adapters available than the one I already have, and I'm at the point of buying a rail system to support and secure the lens.   Rather than deal with all of that, I'm now curious about just going for a native C-mount lens.  When I look at those, however, it appears they are tailored mainly for CCTV camera applications and not photography/cinematography.   I'm willing to spend the bucks on a high quality (sharp and fast) wide-angle C mount if one exists.   Is anyone using such a lens?  Thanks again!

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: High-quality C-mount lenses?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:15:18 AM »
I read a bit through your posts on the Forum and looked at your YT and it seems you have a 1.4 and you are doing stuff like Capturing Lightning and such.
 While for the 2.1 i cant really reccomend to go with C-Mount Lenses (at least for your general Purpose Lenses, Macro might make sense with an C-Mount Lens on the 2.1), its completely different for the 1.4, as its sensor is a lot smaller. So for the 1.4 you will find plenty of options.
 I personally own and use a lot of C-Mount Lenses, mainly really old Vintage Schneider-Kreuznach Cine-Lenses for Super16mm Film Cameras, which can produce Very nice Images, but they are certainly not for everyone, as they can be pretty funky at times, and dont deliver the modern look you would expect from modern optics. If you are into very organic and Cinematic image Style, take a look at ebay, you can still find plenty of those everywhere (some became rather rare lately).
 I also own a bunch of newer C-Mount Lenses, and the best of the Modern C-Mount Lenses i myself came across so far are Kowa Brand Lenses. Really Sharp and High contrast, just nice Images they produce.
 As a Place to look for modern Lenses i can Highly reccomend Stemmer-Imaging, they are a big Reseller (or whatever one would call that in English, not a native speaker...) of Machine Vision Hardware and Optics and Carry about everything you would ever need in terms of C-Mount Optics as a professional User, from Macro to Telecentric Lenses, and a lot of other very special glass.
 https://www.stemmer-imaging.com/en/products/category/fixed-focus-lenses/
 https://www.stemmer-imaging.com/en/products/category/fixed-focus-lenses/?q=&a_camera-mount-optics=2476&a_focal-lenght_0=&a_focal-lenght_1=&a_max-sensor-size_0=8461&a_max-sensor-size_1=&a_min-pixel-size-30-contrast_0=&a_min-pixel-size-30-contrast_1=&sort=default&view_mode=&table_sort=
 First link is just directly to Prime Lenses for General Purpose Imaging, second one has allready set two filters for c-Mount and 2/3" Sensor size, what you would want for the 1.4.
 I am not quite Sure, what you define as wide, fast and sharp, but anything beyond 2MP resolution Rating should be more than sharp enough for the 1.4, if you want to make sure, go with the 5MP Rated Lenses, but those are usually quite a bit more expensive. Select Focal Lenght to your Liking.
 Also make sure, to check if the Lenses will work with an C- to CS-Mount adapter. My Kowa LM8HC Lens wont. Rear element is to Long to fit into the C- to CS- Spacer. Can still be used (wont make too much sense, as i have a 2.1 and the Lens is only 1" Sensor size, so it wont cover the whole Image, allready checked that...), but needs a custom adapter, so check bevore buying, if you buy such lenses only for use on the Chronos.
 Another Lens i can highly reccomend in terms of Wide C-Mounts with modern Image Quality is the Azure 6,5mm 1.4 Lens, which i also own. Covers 1" very well (perfect for my Nikon1 J5). Havent seen that one offered at Stemmer Imaging however, only place to get it seems to be amazon, where i bought mine. Also Crazy sharp lens, can send you some Sample images if you like, send me an PM if you want.
 https://www.amazon.com/Azure-Photonics-AZURE-0614MLM-C-Mount-Megapixel/dp/B00OBMUSUK
 Watch out however, the Azure 6,5mm also has a Rear element which does not fit into the Standard Cs- / C-Mount Spacer.
 Other Lenses usually dont share that problem, but those two are pretty extreme, super wide and super Fast.