Author Topic: Upscaling footage  (Read 6467 times)

clkdiv

• View Profile
Upscaling footage
« on: July 12, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
Hello,

now that I got the sweet spots for my camera (thanks to mklinger) I tried higher frame rates to see whether the footage afterwards can be upscaled without becoming ugly.

So I tried some different approaches, but in the end I came up with two workflows that might work. Maybe this is of use for somebody, so:

1. Using Adobe camera RAWs new feature "Super Resolution", which will convert an existing DNG into a new DNG with twice the resolution while keeping the RAW data intact. Actually it bakes the upscaling recipe into the DNG. So one doesn't loose the overhead from the RAW. Unfortunately only Adobe Software can deal with theses enhanced DNGs. When scaling up a 1152x648 frame to 2304x1296, the "enhanced" DNG can be read with DaVinci, but it stays at 1152x648. So going the Adobe way the workflow is a) grade and enhance (new super resolution) the DNGs e.g. from within Lightroom, then b) export these enhanced DNGs from Lightroom as 1920x1080 TIFF sequence.

2. Grade and export the DNGs from within Lightroom without "super resolution" to TIFF, then let e.g. Topaz Gigapixel AI do its job upscaling to 1920x1080.

I attached a PSD with three layers: one from Gigapixel, one from Lightroom Super Resolution, and one from the original  DNG to TIFF without scaling. Although Gigapixel is a somewhat over the top with sharpening, I will stick to it.

There is something to mention, too: The "Enhance Photo" function does a very good job on Moiré. Look at 200% at the roof in the background, there were no vertical roof joints, it is Moiré! GigaPixel simply enlarges it, while "Enhance photo" addresses it quite well. So maybe even when using GigaPixel or equivalents for upscaling, you might want to use Adobe Camera Raws "enhance photo" additionally before exporting.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:12:44 AM by clkdiv »

etbandung

• View Profile
    • Les Bahasa Inggris
Re: Upscaling footage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 03:43:37 AM »
could you show us some of ur work after upscalling a pict if you dont mind

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 09:48:43 AM »
For upscaling I use Video enhance AI from Topaz Labs. It works with a lot of formats (incl.TIFF) and the results are realy great.

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:11:23 AM »
Yeah, I use Topaz VEAI too with some artifact reducing software. Works great for me most of the time.