Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Setting the aperture on non aperture ring lenses

<< < (2/4) > >>

mklinger:

--- Quote from: arjunkartha on August 23, 2021, 03:16:57 AM ---Hey folks, I feel this is a bit of a noob question - but I'm the new owner of a brand new Chronos 2.1 and I can't wait to try it out. Based on the recommendations on the website, I bought the Photodiox  Nikon F to C lens adapter (https://www.krontech.ca/store/FotodioX-Nikon-F-Lens-Adapter-to-C-Mount-p140659144), as I have a whole bunch of Nikon lenses available (Like the Sigma 24-70/2.8 listed as a recommended lens on the website here (https://www.krontech.ca/store/Suited-for-the-Chronos-2-1-HD-c52765838)

So here's where I'm stuck: for the life of me I can't figure out how to change the lens aperture as it's internal and usually controlled via the camera. I've read through the forum but can't seem to make out if I'm missing something really obvious. Help appreciated!

Cheers,
- A newbie slow-mo guy

--- End quote ---

One more thing, don't forget the Chronos 2.1 has an effective 2x crop, so the field of view of your 24-70 will be 48-140mm, which will typically move you back from your subject giving you more depth of focus.  That means for most subjects, you can probably shoot that lens wide open at f2.8 and not worry about changing the aperture by stopping it down.

If you are doing macro or even moderate close up work, you may need to stop down, but you'll need tons of light. 

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: arjunkartha on August 23, 2021, 07:36:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: mklinger on August 23, 2021, 07:31:46 AM ---

If the Nikon system works the same as Canon, you can change the aperture on the lens with an external camera (Canon has a DOF preview button which stops the lens down - this is what the Nikon will need to duplicate this), and with the camera still powered on, remove the lens and the lens will retain its aperture setting.  You can then attach the lens to the Chronos and it'll have the new aperture.

You'll need to reattach the lens to the "real" camera any time you want to change the aperture, but this process has worked very well for me.

--- End quote ---

Haha, this process works great - except it's obviously a pain to keep putting it on a newer camera everytime to change it, but I think this is the way to go in the meanwhile!

Glad I wasn't missing something obvious!

--- End quote ---
Well, no. The Nikon lens System DOES NOT work the same as you Described with Canonīs.
 Like Shown in the Video i linked in my first reply (please go and Watch that/ actually read that carefully, what i linked there, thatīs the reason why i put the Links there. Everything is basically already explained there, if you read it carefully), Nikon does not have any kind of Electronic Aperture on its F-Mount Lenses, but only an fully Mechanical one.
 If you want to do any kind of workaround without the Proper G-Style Lens Adapter, you need to do an Mechanical Workaround for Nikon G-Style Lenses (meaning Lenses without Aperture Ring on the Lens itself). One (and probably one of the Only well working ways of doing it, that i know of. At least without permanent Modification of the Lens itself.) Way of doing it, is the Way that is also shown in that Video i uploaded there.

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: arjunkartha on August 23, 2021, 07:36:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: muringuets on August 23, 2021, 07:25:23 AM ---
Not sure if I got it right, but, I think you're looking for this:

https://prnt.sc/1qfqxao

Just turn the blue ring and it will control de lens aperture... If your lens has the aperture ring control thing (it's a lever like this one: https://prnt.sc/1qfr2oe )... if not, then I don't know

--- End quote ---

Yup, you got it right - except that the one I bought (from the Chronos website) is apparently the version without the blue ring. Which is a pity because I just realised it's much cheaper in B&H!

--- End quote ---
I was wondering that anyways, but didnt comment on it at first...
 You realize, that that same Adapter is literally INCLUDED with the Camera Purchase already at no additional cost? The only option you have to choose from when Buying via the Website, is to get an Nikon or an Canon One, but the 2.1 should always come with one included. Not really an option to buy it without that one. Sure it is cheaper on B&H, and Probably even cheaper than that when buying directly from some Chinese Seller on Ebay or something, but if you go and order that one on the Shop additional to the Camera, they should actually send you two of those, if i understand it correctly.
 From your Original Post, i cant really tell if they already Shipped your Camera, but maybe cancel the order for the Additional Adapter if not shipped yet, and tell them it was a Mistake, as you will get one Included with the Camera Package already.

mklinger:

Regarding the adaptor with the external aperture control,  I haven't tested this myself, but when I originally communicated with the Kron folks before I bought my camera, they didn't recommend using the the external aperture ring control.

It makes sense that the external control using the adapter won't be the same as the aperture control inside the lens as the spacing is completely different.  Just be aware there may be some weird effects if you stop down the lens/converter combo that way.

As awkward as it is, I recommend using an external camera to stop down the lens first if needed.

These cameras are not run-and gun by any means and I've found it's usually required to plan out the shoot a bit first for best results.  An extra 30 secs to stop down the lens if needed isn't a big deal.  At least in my experience.

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: mklinger on August 23, 2021, 11:05:45 AM ---As awkward as it is, I recommend using an external camera to stop down the lens first if needed.

--- End quote ---
This Literally WONT WORK!
 On Canon thats a Thing Maybe, never really worked with Canon Glass much, but on Nikon F-Mount G-Style Lenses i can tell you for sure it wont.
 Please go and watch the Video attached to the Post i linked in my first post in this Thread, here is the Link again:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=516.msg2836#msg2836
 Nikon F-Mount lenses ARE ALREADY STOPPED DOWN ALL THE WAY NORMALLY!
 You CAN set the Aperture to whatever on the Camera and remove it, while camera still on, wont do anything.
 Once Removed from the Nikon Camera Body, the IRIS will fully close again!
 Your Image will just be stupidly dark if you dont use a Proper G-Style Adapter with a G-Style Lens, except you figure out a workaround like shown in the Video i Reference for the 5th time or something now.
 So stopping a Nikon G-Style Lens down is the Least of your concerns, Main Problem is how to get it open in the First Place without the Proper Adapter. It WILL try to close at all Times, unless Broken or Modified.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version